IGNORED

Tire Question

Jimozach

No, this is not a question about what tire you all recommend. I know from many past comments that that topic is a horse long since beaten dead.

My question relate so the surface of the tire. When my R1150RT-P is on the center stand (so, no weight on the front tire), the tire has a very noticeable "crown" running down the center of the circumference of the tire. It is pronouced. Now, I use my advanced powers of intuition to conclude that the tire is designed this way....that when weight is on the tire, the crown flattens out. Btw, the tire in question is an Avon Ultra Storm II with ~1K miles on it. Wear so far is very good.

Comments appreciated.

Sorry, what exactly is the question? Should that crown be there?

Likely, but hard to say. Some are more round than others. A picture is worth 1000 words, if you can post one....

With only 1k miles on the tire I doubt the cross section has had anywhere near enough time to "change" appreciably (unless there's some kind of defect). Did you notice what it looked like in the beginning?

• 1 month later...

All, so a little follow up on this issue for those of you that might be interested. The crown that I am referring to..turns out it is a very well-known attribute of dual-compound tires where the center tread of the tire is made of a harder rubber compound than the side treads. As I understand it, the intent behind this design is to increase the life of the tire by having the center tread wear wear more slowly, so it wears equally with the side treads (which on sport-touring bikes like mine) wear more slowly.

My understanding of duel compound is that the center is harder for longevity as you do not need as much traction for straight/level riding.

The sides are softer for greater grip when the bike is pitched over cornering.

It's the best of both worlds.....

Soft compound for grip when you need it and hard compound for longevity when you need that.

Archived