IGNORED

Aftermarket fairing bolt/screw kit?

Michelangelo

The black ones on my 03 are stainless. Do aftermarket screws have the pointed ends that help guide them in?

Not the ones I have seen or ordered... But that was not really a big deal in mounting my tupperware with stainless. I got a great kit from ebay for little money... improved the assembled appearance in my opinion. Highly recommended.

Just go down to your local hardware store. Bring the old ones with you and buy stainless.

Excellent suggestion! I just took the left side off for the first time over the weekend and noticed I was missing at least one screw and some of the others seemed out of place. Thanks!

Speaking of screws, I am left with these two longer ones. They do not go just below the speaker ports, as you can see because I've already got those mounted. I can't find another spot that warrants these longer ones?

IMG_20130923_171448_zps11f5cd86.jpg

Just go down to your local hardware store. Bring the old ones with you and buy stainless.

If you have a bench grinder you can always grind a point in the stainless screws from the hardware store to help guide them if needed.

Those longer screws go under the mirrors. One on each side.

They can fit there but they are not made to go there, or rather they don't need to be that long. One of the shorter bolts works just fine under the mirrors.

That is true; shorter screws will fit there, but that wasn't the earlier question. On the earlier R1100RT bikes, the screw under the mirror was the longest screw of the set. I had a '96 RT before my '01 RT and I replaced the painted OE screws with stainless. The lack of the beveled tips on the stainless sets is a PITA because it makes it much easier to cross thread them, especially 3 along each side of the tank top.

The self aligning (tapered) fairing screws are used to assist with the reassembly. If you decided to taper the polished SS screws yourself on a grinder I would suggest running a nut on the screw so you can back it off and clean up the threads a bit. Non tapered screws can present a fair amount of frustration and problems, like cross threading the nuts on the tank.

The self aligning (tapered) fairing screws are used to assist with the reassembly. If you decided to taper the polished SS screws yourself on a grinder I would suggest running a nut on the screw so you can back it off and clean up the threads a bit. Non tapered screws can present a fair amount of frustration and problems, like cross threading the nuts on the tank.

I forgot to mention using the nut to chase the threads after grinding the point. Thanks for catching my omission.

Michelangelo

My stainless screw/bolt kit arrived. They are not pointed at the end but are good quality. I've not replaced all the ones on my bike yet, just the ones that look crappy.

Archived