IGNORED

How to keep highway pegs from flopping down?

Michelangelo

Michelangelo

1996 R1100RT came with these highway pegs. They are great except the rightside isn't very tight and flops downward when I want it in the up position, for around town commuting.

I've tried increasing the tension on the pin by tapping on the inside of it with a punch and hammer but it doesn't seem to make a diff.

how to tighten them so they dn't flop?

IMG_20131001_170630_zpsfb61cce0.jpg

Danny caddyshack Noonan

That view makes it look like the design might be for the pivot hole to be elongated with a spring to keep it snug against the flats. Might need a new spring. Play with it a bit and see if that is the case or, if the design is something else.

You could evaluate a detent ball modification if nothing else works. Check McMaster Carr or Carr Lane for detent pin/ball setups.

Nice looking setup. It looks custom made and not manufactured. Could you post another photo a little further back so we can see the whole setup and how it is attached to the bike. It is not quite clear in the closeup.

I agree with the ball-detent suggestion on retaining the peg in the desired position...

Michelangelo

998913_10151597950629150_1971370189_n_zps41eda511.jpg

I looked, there's not type of spring or ability to fit a spring. It's simply the tension from the pin that holds them up or down.

Thanks for the new photo. What is the mounting bracket attached to? My bike is 40 miles away at the moment and I am having a problem picturing where the bracket might mount? :lurk:

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Michelangelo

When all is said and done, you still need something in there to create friction. A thin sheet of rubber might be what you need. To get there, I think you need to disassemble.

Here is what I would do then. Very carefully examine the retention device. It looks like a split roll pin from your photos but, there appears to be something else going on in the first shot. If the roll pin has no perforations on the inner diameter then, try to drive it out and do a visual examination to understand the design. Note that there could be a spring inside the footpeg that would prevent, or make difficult, driving the roll pin out (this might be retained through a groove on the outer diameter of the roll pin).

A better first step might be to try to unscrew the foot peg itself from the boss that holds the pin. Then see where you go from there.

Michelangelo

Thanks for advice. It looks as though it's only a rolled, split pin. I don't like the idea of driving it out and replacing it with a bolt and nut as I think that will not provide a clean, low profile look and would look like a hack job.

You are correct about me needing to create more friction in there.That's why I initially tried to hammer the inside edge of the pin, hoping it'd push out and create friction on the outside diameter of the pin. Nope.

So my next idea is to squirt some of that expanding Gorilla glue in there, in hopes that just enough would penetrate and provide enough friction to keep the peg in whatever position I want it in until ready to be moved.

Archived