IGNORED

Seat cushions

MacGruber

For me, with a standard seat, the Airhawk (med. cruiser size) means the difference of 200 miles. Still get a little numb toward the end of a long ride, but no pain. Worth it to me, ymmv

100 miles or so, (one way) stock seat.

150 or more (one way) we add sheepskin.

All day trips 5-6-700 miles we add the Airhawk.

Don't overinflate it.

Anyone have recent experience with either Airhawk seat cushions or Saddleman seats?
Spent days in the saddle trying to get the Airhawk inflated "right". Never got it or if I did it didn't help. Might have gotten an extra few hours of mostly comfortable riding but never close to the all day, 1000 miles I get out of a Mayer seat (or the multi-day multi-thousand mile Russell).

Spent almost as much on beads, sheepskins, Airhawk, aftermarket seat (Wunderlich) as I did on a custom built Mayer - should have skipped all the half-measures and gone straight to custom.

YMMV though.

Friend of mine tried the Airhawk and liked it, so tried one.

Maybe had it over inflated, although I tried to follow instructions leave maybe 1/2" under my posterior.

Felt like I was trying to balance sitting on a beach ball. During even mild acceleration, my butt settled at the rear and hips rotated back and down. Any leaning did the same thing in the direction of the lean. Didn't feel like I had firm connection with the bike and like body english/leaning was ineffective and a little disconcerting.

I suppose on a long steady speed straight line ride it may help to lengthen the comfortable distance, but other than that it's definitely not on my bike on a regular basis.

Archived