IGNORED

Wilbers & Hyperpro - Please Share Some Shock Wisdom

Id's_OK

I've searched here and ADV, and found a lot of info, but would appreciate some current and trusted advice. I don't ride nearly as much as I used to, but hope and plan to change that. I ride an '08 R1200GS ABS, non-ESA, 90%+ on-road, assertive, twisties, secondary and often rough roads (like Wayah Rd), <10% dirt & gravel, almost always pretty lightweight (think Joe Brown Hwy). I also live nowhere near Ted Porter, Klaus or Herman, so initial set-up and service will be remote, then shipped to me. Had Wilbers on a previous bike, and they were great, and based on features, cost and the support to get them set to my specs, I think I'm down to Hyperpro or Wilbers, leaving two questions:

1. Any BIG difference between Wilbers and Hyperpro that would push you one way or the other? Reliability, 'bladder tech', support?

2. Is compression adjustment and the extra oil of a piggyback reservoir worth the extra $400 for my riding type/style?

Thanks!

I got the remote rez so people would think I was a good rider.

:P

One of those I figured better to have and not use than decide later

I needed it.

If you don't vary load etc may not need it but I'm glad to have it.

Wilbers.

Thanks, Tim. Definitely getting the remote pre-load adjuster, as my loads vary quite a bit. I like your advice of better to have and not need than the other way around, but...

As I understand it, the compression damping is for fine-tuning for the track, etc. (had it on my sportbike), and the piggyback helps with long, extended rough riding, where heat and/or foam can build up in the oil. Since I don't often do extended rough roads (offroad, heavy washboard, etc), it may be overkill. And $400 per shock!

I have bought 2 sets of Wilbers and now a set of Hyperpro shocks for my BMW's. You can't go wrong with either shock as both are well made and custom built for your weight and riding style.

I went with the Hyperpro this last time because that is what Klaus is currently selling. Give him a call and he will spend all the time needed with you to make sure you get what you need. He will fine tune the shocks before he ships them to you. They won't be perfectly set up but they should be close.

You probably do not need either the remote reservoir nor the high and low speed compression dampening. But the base shocks should come with both compression and rebound dampening.

I have bought 2 sets of Wilbers and now a set of Hyperpro shocks for my BMW's. You can't go wrong with either shock as both are well made and custom built for your weight and riding style.

I went with the Hyperpro this last time because that is what Klaus is currently selling. Give him a call and he will spend all the time needed with you to make sure you get what you need. He will fine tune the shocks before he ships them to you. They won't be perfectly set up but they should be close.

You probably do not need either the remote reservoir nor the high and low speed compression dampening. But the base shocks should come with both compression and rebound dampening.

I agree with Chris, you probably don't need the high/low speed adjustments, and you can likely get away without remote preload on the front shock too.

I went with Wilbers both for proximity to Hermann and because I could get a discount through our local BMW club.

Great, thanks guys. So...since I've ridden with both of you, should your recommendation of the entry-level shocks tell me something about my abilities? :dopeslap:

Great, thanks guys. So...since I've ridden with both of you, should your recommendation of the entry-level shocks tell me something about my abilities? :dopeslap:

I figured we were merely justifying our own frugality! :rofl:

Nah, I don't know your skill levels that well, but we sure had a good day out in Helen this year. :thumbsup:

I know for me, I didn't see the benefits of the additional complexity for how and where I ride. If I was a bigger track day addict, I might be able to refine the handling to get that benefit, but then again, if I was that big a track day addict I'd have a dedicated track bike.

Archived