IGNORED

Mityvac or ? (vacuum pump, brake bleed...)

SinNH

I've use the plastic hand pump model 8020 for decades, now it needs to be rebuilt again and I was wondering if the type bleeder that uses an air compressor works ok for a one man shop. I have never had any issue/problem changing fluid (annual maintenance ) on any of the BMW's I have owned, but I have a couple of mechanically linked brake systems on another make that take about 35-40 minutes(!!) of pumping to change the fluid.

Perhaps the Mityvac 6830

Any have any experience with one?

Thanks,

Steve

http://www.mityvac.com/pages/products_bcbe.asp

Guest Kakugo

It's curious your Mityvac lasted so long it needed rebuilding... I threw away mine after six or seven years because the handle snapped in half and it blew a seal at the same time. Now I do everything "the old fashioned way"... again.

I was also considering a compressed air bleeder but those things are pretty pricey for something you use twice or thrice a year... perhaps a Silver Line (cast aluminum body) Mityvac would be a better fit.

I am also waiting for feedback/experiences.

Nathan Margolis

Lots of people are happy with Mityvac and used them for years. For some reason I purchased a vacuum pump from Griot (the tall canister with the hand pump on top) and use it annually for bleeding brakes on '02 and '04 RT and S bike. Excellent, excellent piece of equipment.

Also, if you have a C2 or C3 Corvette, the only thing that works for brake bleeding. Mityvac does not work well on this old style of disc brakes. Must be a design issue as many of my Corvette friends of no success the old fashion way of "pump, pump, hold" method or other devices. Griot does an excellent job.

The mityvac definately makes you work on really long lines. I've seen systems that add slight pressure to the master cylinder. They come with a selection of caps to accomodate different reservoirs, but they seem to be pretty much designed for cars and trucks. Speed bleeders are an option, but can be a real issue if they become stuck in the caliper over time. A way around that would be to install the speed bleeders for the bleeding process, remove and replace them with stock bleeder screw and finish off with your mityvac. I know some repair shops simply open everything up and let gravity and atmospheric pressure do the rest. One last suggestion, similar to the open everything up technique, is to open the regular bleeder screw, pump out the fluid until clean, and then finish off with the mityvac. The small amount of air that gets into the caliper as you let off of the pedal will not travel up the lines but remain in or close to the caliper where it is quickly removed.

As I recently proved to myself, a mityvac can become next to useless over time. I bought a new pump and after using it for the first time I wondered what took me so long to ditch the old one.

One last thought...there are those that say a vaccuum type pump should never be used on BMW motorcycles. I used one many times on my '96 RT without issue.

Thanks for the input.

Actually if I rebuild the one I have, it will be the third time. The orings get tired and the unit won't create as much vac, hence the rebuild. I'm concerned about the plastic components slowly wearing down, I used this for over 30 years! So I going to buy a new unit, just now sure which one yet.

Yes the Honda's with the linked ( great design) brakes the lines are very,very long, which takes issue with my right hand. :P

Thanks

Steve

I use a Mityvac 7300 fluid evacuator with a 7205 brake adapter. I bought it for my cars...works great. Works on bikes too of course. Must use with compressor. Shop around on Internet, prices all over the map. I've had it for years and there is basically nothing that can go wrong with it. Has a lot of other uses as well; good for doing oil changes on inboard boats, among other things.

I was wondering if the type bleeder that uses an air compressor works ok for a one man shop

Very OK.

I use a Vacula model. If your compressor has a pressure regulator you can adjust it lower if you want less suction at the brake lines. It's a bit pricey but was worth it.

I can hook it up, crack open the bleeder valve, then stay at the master cylinder pouring in more fluid until I'm happy!

I've used in on all my bikes including an R1100RT. Not supposed to, but never had a problem. On the R1150RT with wizzey brakes I hook it up but don't turn on the compressor, just use it as a large catch basin.

Stan

I was wondering if the type bleeder that uses an air compressor works ok for a one man shop

Very OK.

I use a Vacula model. If your compressor has a pressure regulator you can adjust it lower if you want less suction at the brake lines. It's a bit pricey but was worth it.

I can hook it up, crack open the bleeder valve, then stay at the master cylinder pouring in more fluid until I'm happy!

I've used in on all my bikes including an R1100RT. Not supposed to, but never had a problem. On the R1150RT with wizzey brakes I hook it up but don't turn on the compressor, just use it as a large catch basin.

Stan

Stan, this is what I wanted to hear. The 6830 Mityvac has a "adjustable" trigger to regulate vac and I thought along with the regulator on my compressor I could slow it up.

Thanks.

And, I miss Colorado more than you do. :(

Thanks all. :thumbsup:

Bought a Mityvac MV6835 last year and can't believe I waited this long to get one. Have tried lots of other tools/methods over the years, but there's just no substitute for the right tool for the job.

I still get a laugh out of using it. Brake fluid, clutch fluid and power steering fluid are simple changes now. Trucks, cars, bikes, lawnmowers, tractors, it just makes life so much easier around maintenance time.

Get one and you won't look back except to kick yourself for not doing it sooner.

I use a Mityvac 7300 fluid evacuator with a 7205 brake adapter. I bought it for my cars...works great.

Great piece of gear to have around. Besides making brake bleeding a snap it's also perfect for changing oil on the slant-K bikes. If you don't mind spending $100 (and have an air compressor) then this is the way to go. When I purchased mine the brake adapter was included, but maybe they changed that. One advantage of bleeding brakes this way is that you can stand by the master cylinder with the air valve in your hand and keep it topped off so you don't have to ping-pong back-and-forth from the bleeder to the master cylinder, hoping you don't accidentally drain it dry.

How does it help on the slant K bikes? Do you mean the 1600's?

I was referring to the K1200/1300 with the dry-sump oil tank. BMW's method works but is is messy and the Mityvac makes quick and easy work of it. I'm not familiar with the K1600 oil change procedure.

I use a Mityvac 7300 fluid evacuator with a 7205 brake adapter. I bought it for my cars...works great.

One advantage of bleeding brakes this way is that you can stand by the master cylinder with the air valve in your hand

Are you referring to what Mityvac says on their site as:

"independent air shut off valve" ?

Oh with this edit, I enlarged the pic on their site and it comes with an in-line valve, answered my own question. :dopeslap:

Now, that sounds like a great, must have item.

I've use the plastic hand pump model 8020 for decades, now it needs to be rebuilt again and I was wondering if the type bleeder that uses an air compressor works ok for a one man shop. I have never had any issue/problem changing fluid (annual maintenance ) on any of the BMW's I have owned, but I have a couple of mechanically linked brake systems on another make that take about 35-40 minutes(!!) of pumping to change the fluid.

Perhaps the Mityvac 6830

Any have any experience with one?

Thanks,

Steve

http://www.mityvac.com/pages/products_bcbe.asp

I have a Mityvac 6830, and it works great. There is very little that can go wrong with it. I think it would be perfect for a one man shop. As for me, well, with 3 bikes, an antique car, and the everyday vehicles, I don't use it every day, but it sure makes those annual brake fluid changes more pleasant.

• 3 months later...

Great information as usual on this Board.

Just used the Mityvac 7300 on sixth bike since I bought it, man, should have purchased decades ago, what a pleasant/simple task now to change brake/clutch fluid. No more hand pumping.

One of the best $100 I have ever spent on tools.

Thanks all. :thumbsup:

Archived