IGNORED

R1100RT Corbin backrest for operator?

Michelangelo

1996 R1100RT w/ Corbin seat and passenger backrest.

With my second long trip on the bike since purchase a few months ago I decided to try the passenger backrest on the driver/operator portion of the seat. WRONG. The angle once installed was so extreme to make the backrest useless for the front portion of the seat. It was at a very sharp forward angle on my upper butt, lower back.

Do I need a completely new front backrest from Corbin or can the passenger one be made to fit?

999995_10151597955459150_1380654912_n_zps4d5c8b57.jpg

IMG_2958_zpsf6595594.jpg

Yup! Never felt the need for one on either bike.

I only use my backrest for the passenger seat on my R1100R as Deb is used to the backrest pad on the BMW top box on the RT.

Joe Frickin' Friday
Have you tried adjusting the angle using the grub screw on the backrest?

+1. Look for a screw on the back of the stem, right at the base of the backrest. Unscrew it a bit, and you should be able to manually push the backrest to a more suitable angle. More turns on the screw allows you to push the backrest back further. Turn the screw in the other direction, and it will force the backrest to tilt forward.

Somewhere in there you should be able to find an angle that works for you.

+1. Look for a screw on the back of the stem, right at the base of the backrest. Unscrew it a bit, and you should be able to manually push the backrest to a more suitable angle. More turns on the screw allows you to push the backrest back further. Turn the screw in the other direction, and it will force the backrest to tilt forward.

+1

I have the same setup and it works equally well for the driver or passenger. Looking at your pics, it looks like it would be leaning forward too much for a passenger as well - I'm not looking at mine right now, but is it possible that the backrest has its post backward?

Have one on mine and love it!

I did adjust as Mitch described and all is good.

:thumbsup:

Thanks for the screw recommendation. I'll take a look at it and see if I can get it to move or adjust, then I'll report back.

Tried messing with the set screw as recommended above and see this pic; there doesn't seem to be any adjustment to or fro with this allen head. It actually doesn't event touch the back part of the backrest, so I'm not sure what it's purpose is?

Or is there a different bolt/screw you all are talking about?

IMG_20131027_174205_zps5ac1ca82.jpg

missed your post last week - i'll go get mine out of the box after dinner and see if can see anything helpful (i have only used the backrest a handful of times, but do remember adjusting either the height, the angle or both at the mounting post).

josh

Joe Frickin' Friday
Tried messing with the set screw as recommended above and see this pic; there doesn't seem to be any adjustment to or fro with this allen head. It actually doesn't event touch the back part of the backrest, so I'm not sure what it's purpose is?

Or is there a different bolt/screw you all are talking about?

IMG_20131027_174205_zps5ac1ca82.jpg

That's the screw. Adjust as described upthread: loosen/counterclockwise, then grab backrest and manually tilt it toward rear until it hits a positive stop. More turns ccw will allow you to tilt it farther back.

If I recall correctly, there was quite a bit of friction in mine; I really had to push hard to get the backrest to tilt back after loosening the screw.

As Mitch said. On mine, the screw moved easily enough, but I had to mount the backrest onto the seat on the bike to get enough leverage to change the angle either way (which is to say, just holding the upholstered part with one hand the mounting bar with the other, it felt like it was completely solid). So, if yours won't budge, I'd say take the adjustment screw all the way out (so you know you're not getting interference there), make sure the bike is REALLY secure (someone else sitting on it maybe so you don't pull it off the stand), and then pull back on the backrest steadily until you get it to move.

I also pulled the front part of the cover off mine to see if you could access the cross piece the mounting bar goes into, but - in mine at least - it's hidden within the main, solid, foam body of the backrest. I suppose you could spray some lube up into from underneath, but it didn't really feel like it was corroded or anything - very smooth through it's range of motion, but really, really tight.

Good luck!

josh

Archived