IGNORED

Accesssory power plug question

macx

Is it correct that the center post in the BMW type plug is the "hot wire"?

I got a heated jacket but have to change plugs to the BMW type.

Just want to make absolutely sure.

Thanks!

Handy rule of thumb is that the exposed powered side of connectors is usually the negative with the positive shielded in some way. That prevents accidental shorts. So the bike side the positive is deep inside and the accessory side (which is unpowered when the plug is exposed) would have the positive as the center pin. Which is a good thing to think about when you add wiring yourself - like an SAE plug connector where the bike/battery side should have the positive from the battery wired to the shielded side and the bare pin is the negative since you'll often have the connector exposed.

Thx.

That's the way I've always known it to be over 40+ yrs of hot rodding and lots of hands on with all types of vehicles & equipment.

Reason I asked is that this morning I plugged in a new piece

of heated clothing on which I had to install a BMW type plug in place of the typical US lighter type plug.

When I first turned it on, something in the control apparently

shorted out and burned thru a couple layers of clothing.

The vendor is being real good about exchanging it.

Just wanted to rule out any small chance I may have unwittinglly

done something wrong.

• 3 weeks later...

I just found out this is wrong when I blew the fuse on my GPS. The BMW is grounded through the center pin and the hot is the outer connector. I have a couple of cigarette lighter styles on mine and every one is backwards.

Chris

The BMW standard (DIN standard of course) for its power plugs is center is positive. They can be incorrectly connected with a little effort.

Were this not the case I'd have ruined my BMW battery charger years ago.

I guess I better figure out what the heck is going on with my power feed. It seemed kinda crazy to me but every one of mine is hot on the outside and ground on pin

Chris

Well after IKchris set me straight I went out and pulled the fairing off. I found a factory pigtail from what looks like maybe the radio harness going to the power outlet on the dash was cross wired and it really looks like it came that way from the factory. I checked it 3 ways to Sunday and one of the plugs is backward which threw all the other ties wrong!!

Chris

Archived