IGNORED

Thoroughly disgusted with RT headlights

macx

My right headlight bulb finally went out at 56k. Have changed the left one 3 times and that's hard enuf!

My hands aren't all that big, but even with stripping all the tupperware off the right side of the bike I can't get my hand in there and still have enuf room for my fingers so I can manipulate things. And of course you can't see it while you're working on it. Either or.

3 hours later, with my left hand all skun up and red marks all over it, and I still don't have it hooked up!

And, just like the left side, the cheap plastic connector crumbled before I even got it off - and I was trying real hard to pull it straight off and only wiggling it very gently. Of course, the location makes it impossible to get any kind of a good enough grip on it to pull it straight off to start with.

BMW's engineering has just taken a real nose dive in my book -

a real POS - real junk - for a near $25k bike!! Making things that should be simple this difficult is just azzinine!

A couple of sessions like this that exposes some real crappy engineering and junk parts and I'm real close to taking a close look at the V4 Motus for my next bike!

Geezzzz.

You would think they could come with a better way. :dopeslap:

I have room in my garage if you want to leave it here for the winter. I will take very good care of it. :wave: And keep all of the mechanicals in fantastic shape by riding it often.

That's very strange. I've blown 8 bulbs to date (4 right and 4 left) and while I agree with you the right hand change is much harder than the left one, I've never had a problem with the connectors.

Afternoon macx

The R/H isn't all that much more difficult. The trick is to turn it around.

So, sit/kneel in front of the bike on the center stand, then reach up through from the front over the fender. That way you can use your right hand. You can also see the bulb seat in the reflector through the front of the lens. (no Tupperware removal needed)

What ever you do, don't get the 800. It's about 5 times harder to change the headlight.

PS

If you get the Motus, change the headlight bulb before you buy.

dc

CoarsegoldKid

Yes the RT bulb changing is a PIA and some folks do the task from the front. For me it just doesn't work out. Mine connectors also fell apart years ago. Now if I was smart I'd get an HID kit in there and probably never have to worry about it again.

I converted mine to HIDs. About 90,000 km later I traded the bike for a new one. Not a lick of trouble with the new lights, and many times brighter.

I don't like those hids. They seem too bright. Obnoxiously bright from the other direction. Maybe they just aren't adjusted right.

Murphy

I cannot see how that tool would be used to change the bulb. I am not a creative and imaginative person, but I usually do know how to use tools. However, that one seems to me like it would only make things worse.

dc

I have small hands,but still found it darn near impossible to replace the bulbs.I now pull the front tupperware off( takes 20 minutes or so) and easily,without loosing any skin,replace both bulbs at the same time...It really is easy and no sweating or swearing.

Steve

Btw-If you ever have one of those stupid wire bails fall off,you will find you have no option,but to pull the tupperware.

Booch - I have to pull the front tupperware to add some wiring (Eastern Beaver) but need to know where the screws are to let it loose. Can you tell me?

Tnx -

Archived