IGNORED

Firstgear - First Rate Customer Service

Albert

[no affiliation]

While I was down at this year's FART, I took a ride with Randy down to a M/C shop in Dahlonega, Georgia where I came across a pair of Firstgear gloves that seemed to be just what I was looking for. I wanted a light weight, waterproof glove that would be useful rain situations where it wasn't that cold (I have gloves for that). I purchased the Firstgear Master glove thinking it was just about perfect. I had the occasion to ride last weekend in some really crappy weather and was excited to try the new gloves. At first all was ok but after my first gas stop the problem was apparent. No amount of pulling and prodding would allow me to get the gloves back on. As soon as my hands were a little damp - no go. Also, while the liner was waterproof, the rest of the glove was definitely not. I wound up not even trying to use the gloves for the rest of the trip and after returning home it was nearly 5 days before they finally dried out completely.

I contacted Firstgear upon returning and received an immediate response apologizing and asking if I'd like to try a new pair of TPG gloves that were similar. I indicated I would like to check them out and without another word they were on the way. Three days later the new model gloves appeared at my door, no charge and no request to return the gloves I have. I haven't had a chance to try the new TPG gloves but they do look nice and seem to have a different material in the liner which will, hopefully, alleviate the problem with damp hands.

No matter what the outcome, I have to say I'm really impressed with Firstgear's response. Having purchased 3 new Firstgear jackets in the past year that we're quite happy with I was glad to find such a response. Good customer service should always be acknowledged.

Thanks for the info. Rewarding good customer service is the best way to insure that it will continue.

A tip of the helmet to Firstgear. :thumbsup::clap:

Refreshing to to hear.... Too many retailers today would have had built-in firewalls to make the process complicated if not impossible.

I am on the hunt for a pair of waterproof pants whose shell is waterproof, has good armor and that doesn't cost $600 like KLIM.....

First gear will move to the top of my search list..

By the way, since you appear to be a glove aficionado, what are you using for cold-weather waterproof gloves?

A few years ago I bought a pair from Aerostitch that were branded "MSR-Cold Pro". I checked and they don't appear to carry them anymore. A quick search shows Motorcycle Superstore has that brand although I can't say if they've changed over the years. For a reasonably priced glove I've been really happy with their performance both for the cold and the wet.

I had the occasion to ride last weekend in some really crappy weather and was excited to try the new gloves.

Excited to ride in crappy weather, just to try out some new gloves? :rofl:

We are an odd bunch, aren't we? I did the same thing one Sunday morning, got up and saw it was going to be raining, and thought, this is a perfect day to try out my wet weather gear, and went out for a three hour ride!

Glad to hear Firstgear took care of you. :)

I had the occasion to ride last weekend in some really crappy weather and was excited to try the new gloves.

Excited to ride in crappy weather, just to try out some new gloves? :rofl:

Actually I did the Void rally so it was more like 30 hours of crappy weather. :grin: Loved it anyway. :thumbsup:

Actually I did the Void rally so it was more like 30 hours of crappy weather. :grin: Loved it anyway. :thumbsup:

Good for you, glad you enjoyed it!

This is a perfect opportunity to do what I said I was going to do a few months ago and write about a very similar, positive experience I had with Firstgear USA customer service. Coincidentally FLrider, it was with their HT Overpants, which I really dig by the way, however my needs are more for low temperature commuting.

It was mainly an inconvenience, but after wearing the pants for a few months, I decided to see if they had any fixes for the problem of the secondary snap button on the waistband tending to unsnap under a little bit of pressure, like when bending down. There is a metal hook-type fastener that does the primary job of closing the waistband and holding the pants up, so at worst this was just an annoyance. Nick Bell, at Tucker Rocky (Firstgear’s USA distributor), immediately offered to send out a new pair along with a free return-shipping label. The replacement pants exhibited a similar problem and I hesitantly contacted them a second time. Again, the pants were plenty functional without the snap button. Nick hand-picked a replacement pair this time, and we did the replacement dance again. The third pair was better and I’ve been using the heck out of them ever since. They’ve really expanded my riding season. Overall, I really like the functional design of these pants.

I can find a little bit of fault with the marginal design of that particular feature, or maybe it’s the use of poor quality snap buttons, but I have nothing but praise for the way Firstgear’s customer service went out of their way to accommodate me.

I'm happy to learn that the unfastening snap on my HT pants is due to a manufacturing flaw and not the excessive pressure of my sizable gut. Who knew?

I'm happy to learn that the unfastening snap on my HT pants is due to a manufacturing flaw and not the excessive pressure of my sizable gut. Who knew?

HA! Yep, more bonus points to Firstgear for not asking how big my belly was.

Actually, I'm pretty lucky in that department. I'm not a fitness freak, but I've always been fortunate with a relatively stable waistline - genetics, thanks Dad.

I still have the button pop once in a while. I've since learned that the waist doesn't need to fit tight like a pair of jeans - that helps. I would still like to add a patch of velcro, or some other attachment, to supplement that snap. I'll let you know if I come up with something.

Archived