IGNORED

Corbin killed my back: suggestions for gel/sheepskin cover?

Michelangelo

1996 R1100RT

Above bike and did a 3 day jaunt with Corbin seat and bar risers. After day one I woke up and my lower back and sacrum were killing me. My back was stiff, knotted and in alot of pain.

This is my first real upright touring oriented bike and just like cruiser styles which I have not enjoyed due to the straight upright riding position, which puts all the weight of my torso on my lower spine, I fear the same from this bike's riding position. Either that, or the seat is too hard. Likely it's both.

I will likely remove the bar risers to see if the very slight difference in lean forward will take some of the weight off my lower back and spine. But I also think a soft seat bad will also help. I've got very little meat on my backside to begin with.

I want something under $100 that will fill the majority of the Corbin's large seat pan. Would like something breathable and soft. I thought naturally sheepskin or sheepkin/gel pad combo. What do you guys think? What would you recommend for my?

Was thinking of this one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-Sheepskin-Seat-Cover-Tourers-Made-in-USA-/360168041656

Either that, or the seat is too hard.

This doesn't really answer your question, but I find Corbin seats to be rock hard, and the wrong shape for me. That might be part of the problem.

Another thought is to make sure that you are not "slouching". That can really tire out your back on longer rides. If you haven't heard discussions about the "Master Yoda" position, it would be worth looking into.

Hopefully others will have some feedback about gel/sheepskin that might address your actual question.

Either that, or the seat is too hard.

This doesn't really answer your question, but I find Corbin seats to be rock hard, and the wrong shape for me. That might be part of the problem.

Another thought is to make sure that you are not "slouching". That can really tire out your back on longer rides. If you haven't heard discussions about the "Master Yoda" position, it would be worth looking into.

Hopefully others will have some feedback about gel/sheepskin that might address your actual question.

HERE is the LINK to the Master Yoda post. I learned how to sit a bike from Mr. Baker, keeping your hips in the right place does wonders.

If your bike is a 1996, could the Corbin also be that old? I've often wondered if the seats have a useable life span, before the foam further hardens? Personally, I had a new custom Corbin on my RT and I loved it. That being said, Corbin's elicit a Love It or Hate It from most riders.

Sorry, I've never used beads or the other <$100 accessories.

Before leaving on a 70 day, 11,000 mile trip to the West last summer, the wife and I both got the Alaskan Butt pads for my 1200GS and her 1200C. About $70 or so each with shipping as I remember. We both agreed, best purchase we made for the trip. Still use them every time we ride, which is often. Adds about two more hours to the ridding time each day for us.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

I watched Rick Mayer make my seat. The foam in the center is a lower density than that where the pelvis contacts it. I'm guessing this lets the major structure (pelvis) take the sitting load instead of the sacrum. I had a problem with sacrum/kegel pain on the old bike after 3 or 4 hours. Only several repetitions of clamping down for as long as I could made the pain go away. Haven't felt that once on the Rick Mayer seat including a couple 18 hour saddle days.

Corbin seats have three issues.

First they are the "wrong" kind of hard. Corbin uses a very, very thick foam to better support weight but the problem with it is that it causes both compression of the sacral nerves and poor grip on the saddle. The best approach to construction I've seen so far is that taken by Kahedo which uses very thick foam as a basis (to support weight) with a thin layer of soft foam on top, both to prevent sacral nerve compression and improve grip.

Second, they are anatomically wrong. I don't know which body they are designed around but it surely ain't human. Maybe they used Spongebob as a model...

Third, the covers they use are stylish but terrible for grip, especially to prevent those small involuntary movements that add to discomfort and fatigue.

I may also add their customer service is awful. ;)

What to do now? If you still have the OE seat put that back. Throw a sheepskin on it and you'll much much better off than on Corbin's patented torture device.

I've tried gel pads but sheepskins are just so much better for comfort. :thumbsup:

I have a 97 RT and find the Corbin better than stock. I do agree that you will either love it or hate it. I'd be willing to take those evil risers off of your hands if you decide they are not for you.

When I got on my RT in 2006 the stock seat was terrible. I tried:

1. Gel ... too hot and no noticeable improvement

2. Airhawk ... felt disconnected from the bike - use it a a pillion backrest

3. Sargent low saddle - PERFECT fit! 800 mile days in comfort

4. Sheepskin - to cure a sweaty butt problem ... only so-so

5. Beadrider - PERFECT ... keeps me cool and dry on summer rides - store it in cooler weather

6. Russell Day Long - bought it used at a great price out of curiosity to see what the buzz was all about. Loved it but my spouse preferred the Sargent and I was okay with that.

Recommend:

Russell - if you have a long inseam - legendary comfort.

Sargent - low seat is very low and I find it very comfortable ... I have 100,000+ miles on this saddle

Bead rider - till someone invents a ventilated seat these are great for hot sweaty riding days.

I have used Corbin seats on 2 different cruiser bikes each with a different seat type, 2 different option seats for different 1100RTs and now a Corbin rider seat on my 12GS.

The leather on them CAN be slippery if you use the wrong kind of cleaner/preservatives. If you want to get a corbin and have it feel like a couch cushion, you will not be happy. They are all firm, and take some break in. I have done 1000+ mile days on every one of those configs except the cruisers.

I have compared them with Sargent seats which I find too soft, and a RDL seat that was not built for me and caused me great discomfort.

OP mentions not having much butt, perhaps some fitness changes, doing some lower body exercises/squats could help with the feel of the seat as well as adapting his body position some.

I have a Corbin and it fits perfect for my riding position. I keep a Sheepskin pad in the topbox for longer runs but I prefer to ride without when out for a spirited ride.

My riding buddy has a '04 RT and the standard seat produced pain and I put my seat on his to try and it did not help the pain at all! He purchased the comfort seat and that was better, then he purchased an Airhawk and has had no issues since.

:thumbsup:

I don't think fitness is an issue. I work out (HARD) 5x's per week. Usually crossfit related and military fitness related stuff. Lots of legs and airsquat and of course core and upper body. I would say my overall fitness is excellent.

I think my problem is a lack of meat and likely lifetime discomfort from a L4-5 discectomy a year and a half ago. Thus, why I'm looking for a solution.

I've had Corbins before and yes they are hard but they are miles better than other seats. Sounds like the bead seat cover and/or sheepskin without risers may be the ticket.

I won't be selling the risers just yet....gotta see what works first. Plus I just barely bought them last month.

I have used Corbin seats on 2 different cruiser bikes each with a different seat type, 2 different option seats for different 1100RTs and now a Corbin rider seat on my 12GS.

The leather on them CAN be slippery if you use the wrong kind of cleaner/preservatives. If you want to get a corbin and have it feel like a couch cushion, you will not be happy. They are all firm, and take some break in. I have done 1000+ mile days on every one of those configs except the cruisers.

I have compared them with Sargent seats which I find too soft, and a RDL seat that was not built for me and caused me great discomfort.

OP mentions not having much butt, perhaps some fitness changes, doing some lower body exercises/squats could help with the feel of the seat as well as adapting his body position some.

You can take the cover partially off the original seat and use an orbital sander to fit the foam underneath to YOUR butt. It is also helpful to sand a 3/4" x 1" channel down the center of the seat all the way to the back to relieve all tailbone discomfort. It is quite easy to do and since you now have less foam on top there is plenty of cover left to restaple back on. It is very helpful to narrow the seat in front as this makes the whole bike feel shorter when stopped. Try it and use 50 grit paper. It goes fast and takes about 1 hour. I have done a 1,000 mile day with this setup and while not comfortable it was doable. Before a 500 mile day was about all I could stand.

Stock saddles are miserable for me in several ways, especially the shape. I also really dislike how springy they are over bumps, sometimes vaulting my butt off the saddle.

I tried friends' Sargents and BMayer but they weren't for me. I got a Corbin for my R11RT and my '06RT and now for my '13RT and I've liked them all. My only complaint was the welt on my thigh when stopped. I ordered my current one without a welt and it's great. The leather does get slippery after 3 years or so as it ages. They are firm but that's what I like. I haven't needed customer service so I can't comment on that. My current Corbin is probably half the weight of the first one I had on my R11RT, which is a good thing.

The best thing I can say about all my Corbins and the reason I keep buying them is that they "disappear" when I ride. They fit me (or I fit them) so well that I don't notice or think about the saddle, even after hours of riding. But everybody's rear is different.

I ride bicycles so the seat being firm is not an issue, my Corbin feels like a cloud in comparison to my bicycle. I also use a Beadrider and have since I bought my Corbin. It is a great addition and aside from keeping you cool, it keeps you from sitting in puddles of water when it rains. Saddles are very personal, what is good for me may not be good for you. I went through 5 different bicycle saddles before I found one that works for me, I then bought 4 of them and put them on each bike, I heard they were discontinuing the line and bought two more. So, you have to be comfortable, however you define it.

Good luck.

My sole experience with a Corbin--back on an R11RT--was that it was very hard. With a history of back issues, it's probably not the right answer. I ultimately added an Alaska Leather sheepskin buttpad and it helped a lot. They now have gel pads, which would even be better.

Ultimately, the best answer would be to get a custom-made seat from someone who knows what they're doing. Rick Mayer built a seat for my ST that's pretty nice and he has a background in acute care nursing. So, he's someone who knows human anatomy. Russell Day-Long seats are also top-notch and, like Rick, offer ride-in custom fit services. None of these is cheap, but you could likely get a reasonable amount by selling your Corbin here or someplace the like the BMWMOA Flea Market, reducing your overall cost.

Archived