IGNORED

PR3 wear bar

johnlt

On a new PR3 rear tire, how many mm of rubber down to the wear bar. I have 2mm left on mine and am trying to estimate the remaining mileage. Thanks

When you see steel.... you are there! :grin:

PR3 haven't got steel belting... :rofl:

Joking aside, thread wear should not be measured at the bars/blocks.

I have idea how things are in the US but in all of Europe minimal legal thread is 1.6mm front and rear, except for Germany (where else?), where it's 1.8mm front and 2.0mm rear.

Personally I've found most Michelin tyres tend to "give warnings" once they are approaching minimum thread depth and change them accordingly.

As for how much mileage remains... PR2's tends to give way suddenly when they are nearing the end of their thread life: you may estimate you still have, say, 2000 miles left but they will be bald in less than half that. PR3's tend to be much more even in wear.

If you have to ask, you are worried that your next long trip is going to be a 100 miles too long! It's not worth the worry, but you already knew that!

I just threw away prolly 2k of rubber 'cause I didn't want to worry about it to and from Hannigan.

Always enjoy a good tire THREAD where we discuss tire TREAD.:grin:

One thing to remember, the tread will wear more slowly as you put miles on the tire due to less squirming and the rubber, as it ages, gets harder (and therefore less traction as well).

Not new, but a rear with less than 1,000 miles measured, at the tread wear indicator, .025 inches which = 6.3 mm

Hope this helps but worth what you paid. :wave:

.025 inches which = 6.3 mm

OK Bud, if your going to correct our grammar, I'm going to have to call you out on your math ;). Thinkin' you just mis-typed that decimal, but for the clarification of others...

.25 inches = 6.35 mm

(us fellow High Town members can correct each other without any misgivings, right?)

.025 inches which = 6.3 mm

OK Bud, if your going to correct our grammar, I'm going to have to call you out on your math ;). Thinkin' you just mis-typed that decimal, but for the clarification of others...

.25 inches = 6.35 mm

(us fellow High Town members can correct each other without any misgivings, right?)

You caught me! 0.25" :wave:

Of course, we High Town crew have to stick together even if we are hundredths of an inch apart! :rofl:

Snow yet?

even if we are hundredths of an inch apart! :rofl:

Snow yet?

If nothing else, I am anal. Sorry, it comes with the profession, though I'd like think I have an OK sense of humor, too. Both of which are what probably what draw me to this forum :grin: .

Had to clean an inch or so off the cars last Friday. Otherwise, the snow has stayed up in the hills where it belongs. Morning commutes have been chilly (30's), but dry.

You still enjoying that new (to you) green beauty?

Glad to hear the weather hasn't been worse Wayne.

I've enjoyed the green bike a lot. I still have to put on Hyperlites (which I got from a member of this forum, Thanks Craig) and install the bar backs, foot peg lowering kit and the aux lights.

Also get the fluids changed in the red bike, do a valve adjust and TB synch then list it here, MOA forum, IBMWR classifieds and Craigslist.

A '99 with < 50,000 miles should be an easy sell, I hope, with the new PR3 tires and new brake pads all way round.

We will see.

Hope to get some riding in in Colorado next summer.

My riding buddy sold his R 1200 RT and bought a Honda trike, which he found to be no fun to ride since it didn't lean, sold it and bought brand new '14 HD Street Glide. He really is a cruiser rider and very happy with his new ride. He will keep the stock pipes so we can ride together. :grin:

Archived