IGNORED

Nav 3 or 4

mwood7800

My rt came with the factory nav 3 or 4 whatever came on an 05. Never had any updates, I would like to update but not sure how to take it off and bike didn't come with any cords. Is it worthwhile to update? Thanks mike.

I don't think garmin supports the nav 3 anymore.

You will need to buy the cables to hook it up to a computer to create/send routes to the unit. Also mapping software shoud have been included. I like the unit and recently had my screen (digitizer) replaced. New GPS units are expensive! I will keep mine going as long as I can, even with old maps...

To remove the unit from the bike you need the security tool that should have been included. Someone else here may have a solution if you don't have the tool.

Good luck.

Not sure what Garmin the Nav 3 or 4 are, but one of them was a Zumo 550 no? If so, you can still update the maps, I just did on my Zumo 550 to the 2014 maps. The entire North America no longer fits in the Zumo memory, but you can load the maps onto an SD card and have the unit read from that perfectly.

Basecamp and an USB cable or an SD card reader on your PC lets you create routes and load them to the unit or the same SD card as your maps. Easy as pie. I think, other than the lack of BT stereo the Zumo 550 is a solid unit.

The support for the Nav 3 is sketchy. I have not tried updating mine, but I hardly use it anyway. If you google it, you will find quite a few tales of woe...

On the question though. You will need to power the unit, mine came with a power adapter with a bespoke plug, so if you don't have that, you will probably need to leave it powered on the bike.

For the updates, you will need to locate the USB port on the rear. It should be covered with a rubber plug. Then you will need the software to update the maps (GarminExpress if I recall).

I am in France this week, but if you are still stuck when I return I can provide you with a copy of the software I have. I am not sure how much use it will be though when you read stuff like this:

https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?35312-Updating-maps-to-BMW-Motorrad-NAV-III-impossible-Thanks-a-bunch-Garmin

Cheers,

Scott

Garmin Express, Basecamp, MapInstall, etc are all available free from the Garmin website for Mac or PC.

You can easily power the unit (if it is the Zumo 550) from a USB plug to your computer and again, as I said, if you are just loading maps or gpx route files, an SD card will work fine, no need to even connect your unit to your PC.

Hi Marc,

I cannot vouch for the Nav 4, but my Nav 3 would not power up via USB alone and I had to use the supplied power adapter. It also has no facility to use an SD Card or such like that I could find (might have missed it though) The manual in the link below shows the locations of the power and USB sockets on pages 25 and 26:

http://www.bmw-motorrad.com/com/_common/downloads/navigator/navi3plus_manual_english.pdf

There is usually a security screw locking the unit into the cradle mounted on the bike. If I recall correctly it's just a keyed torx.

Cheers,

Scott

Archived