IGNORED

Wiring question

doc47

I need some advice with a relatively simple wiring project. I've got a set of Hella LED off-road lights on my Dakar. Each one has a black and a white wire. I want to operate them with a standard waterproof PIAA push-button switch. The switch has an indicator light and so it has three wires: white, black, and red.

There is a relay in the circuit, the standard one that came with the lights.

Would someone advise me on how to connect all this?

Waiting breathlessly,

Yours,

Electrically Challenged

If you're not careful, they'll ALL turn into black wires...

burned-motorcycle-575x350.jpg

The lights (and relay, and switch) should have a schematic diagram, explaining the right way way to wire them. Sadly, while there is supposed to be a standard to the wire colors, not every manufacturer follows it. (DAMHIK)

If it's all very confusing from the drawing, I can't imagine how a description on this board will clarify it for you! Find someone local (Tech Daze?) to give you a hand. It's not difficult, but a continuity tester (and multi-meter) in the right hands will make it go even smoother.

Good luck!

Thanks, Greg. I nearly had a bike (Marlene Dietrich) that ended up like that. Entire wiring harness fried and nearly did a Dresden on me.

The problem is that the lights are Hella and don't have neat little plug-in ends and the switch is PIAA....and does.

I'm also just a bit wary of how to incorporate the relay.

I still love the forum but the lights ain't workin'.

And I'm puzzled. The lights work if I hook them up directly, so that's not the problem.

Could it be that white isn't ground (earth) on the switch, whereas it is on the lights?

Or could it be the relay?

The LED indicator light on the switch normally turns green when the lights are off, and red when they are on. The red wire coming from the switch powers that indicator light. What makes the light turn from red to green?

What price glory? Quo vadis? Which was more, Grant or Lee?

I still love the forum but the lights ain't workin'.

And I'm puzzled. The lights work if I hook them up directly, so that's not the problem.

Could it be that white isn't ground (earth) on the switch, whereas it is on the lights?

Or could it be the relay?

The LED indicator light on the switch normally turns green when the lights are off, and red when they are on. The red wire coming from the switch powers that indicator light. What makes the light turn from red to green?

What price glory? Quo vadis? Which was more, Grant or Lee?

Doc,

Sounds like it's not connected quite right.

Is there a part number, or diagram on the relay? If not, could you take a picture of the relay?

Is the LED on the switch working?

>>What makes the light turn from red to green?

There is an extra circuit in the switch (powered from the red wire) that controls the LED to make it change color.

Pictures of the relay and or part numbers would be helpful.

Doc, I did the same thing 6 years ago. Piaa switch to hella lights. Can't remember what I did cuz my memory sucks. I do remember having a problem with the wires. If needed I'll ride over to Chris K's and I'm sure he can figure it out in a minute or so.

Where there are whit, black and red I would suggest that red is the positive, black the negative and the white is the constant (low voltage) hot for the light on the switch only. So, switch red and white and try again. Keep fire extinguisher handy.

Archived