IGNORED

tire pressure gauge

walton66

My tire pressure guage is shapped wrong to be used on my RT. Before I go shopping for a new one, I thought I would ask here for any suggestions.

Thank you

Morning bwpsg42

Personally I use a small electronic gauge that fits in there. (the less air the gauge holds the less it alters tire pressure with each check)

A gauge with a long hose will work but those usually let enough air out (into the hose) with each checking to lower the pressure so you end up having to add air even if it wasn't low before checking.

BMW rebrands and sells a very nice, calibrated dial gauge, $49.

Fits anything, no loss issues if you use it right. They used to give you one when you bought a new bike.

That and the Longacre track style inflator on my home compressor are my normal tools.

I read a review somewhere (maybe it was here?) on tire gauges. I recall that there was a lack of correlation between price and accuracy. Even the $.99 junk from China fared pretty well. The take home message I got was: Get whatever looks good to you and don't lose any sleep over it.

Here's an article by the Alberta Agriculture department with similar results. Link

Of course, having said that, you usually get what you pay for. But you shouldn't have to blow a lot of dough to get a reasonably accurate gauge.

YMMV

Accutire MS-4710B

I've had several. One of them has lasted forever. The others only last a couple of years. But they fit MC valves easily and are inexpensive. And they are accurate. (I test a few different gauges against each other every few months to check them.)

I have been using the Roadgear Hi-Tec Digital tire gauge for the last 10 years. I did have to replace the battery 2 years ago. I like that is "says" the tire pressure.

I carry a stick-type gauge on the bike. It correlates perfectly with the old Brookstone-branded Accugauge dial gauge I use in the garage. A stick gauge that came in the tool kit of a '92 Concours is also accurate.

But I find it worthwhile to have a gauge that 1) holds its reading when removed from the valve stem, and 2) has a bleed valve that allows you to bleed down the pressure with the gauge connected.

BTW, I can get the straight connector and hose of my Brookstone dial gauge on my 2011 RT's rear valve, but only just and with a little fiddling. The RTs front valve is cleverly located on the side of a wheel spoke where it is really easy to get to. Great idea, BMW, but why not put one on the rear wheel, too?

pete

Actually I tested four cheap pressure gauges against an expensive "Master" gauge. All were within 2 psi of the master gauge at 32 psi. Lesson? Don't worry about it. Plus all of these gauges would work with the standard valve stem on my RT with some acrobatics.

Archived