IGNORED

BMW Navigator vs. Garmin Zumo

Deezalman

It goes without saying the BMW version cost a bit more but is the plug and play experience worth it? I must also add, the navigator has nice large buttons on the left side of the mount. To my knowledge, Zumo doesn't offer this.

My question is, has anyone purchased the BMW Navigator and not looked back at the Zumo?

Last but not least, thoughts on the BMW GPS mount?

Have had a ZUMO for 5+ years on two RTs ... it does have "big buttons" on left side and only thing it doesn't have that the NAVIGATOR does is BMW dealerships pre-loaded.

Love it and you can get them pretty cheap on EBAY.

Have had a ZUMO for 5+ years on two RTs ... it does have "big buttons" on left side and only thing it doesn't have that the NAVIGATOR does is BMW dealerships pre-loaded.

Love it and you can get them pretty cheap on EBAY.

You can get a list of all BMW dealerships as POI's and load them to the Zumo via the POI loader. I have it that way and can find/call any BMW dealer across North America.

I'm sure I would eat these words if I was stranded at the side of the road but I don't see the value in paying extra for preloaded Dealership locations. Unless I'm in the middle of no-where, my phone should be able to locate the nearest dealer just fine. I'm certainly willing to take that chance.

Thanks for the info because I assumed the Garmin did not have that nice cradle with four function buttons on the left side. So I am guessing the difference really comes down to a BMW silk screened logo and pre-wired plug?

I have the Garmin 660LM. The BMW NAV IV was too expensive.

The Dealer list POI's is available from Garmins website and I loaded the list on my 660LM and three other Garmin units. So the dealer upload is free with any Garmin device. The BMW NAV IV locks you out from making changes while the bike is moving. The 660LM does not. One major reason to go with the NON BMW GPS. My dealer showed me the new NAV V. With the NAV V you can make changes while the bike is in motion but they also removed the MP3 player. No more SD card to load music. I also have mine mounted on the headset instead of the top shelf just under the windscreen.

and… you can change the opening screen logo to the BMW rondel… looks original.

also and… the Nav unit IS a zumo… for which you have the opportunity to pay more.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

You cannot get XM Weather with a NavIV. Comes in handy when crossing a lot of ground in a day watching the sun come up and go back down.

I have the Garmin 660LM. The BMW NAV IV was too expensive.

The Dealer list POI's is available from Garmins website and I loaded the list on my 660LM and three other Garmin units. So the dealer upload is free with any Garmin device. The BMW NAV IV locks you out from making changes while the bike is moving. The 660LM does not. One major reason to go with the NON BMW GPS. My dealer showed me the new NAV V. With the NAV V you can make changes while the bike is in motion but they also removed the MP3 player. No more SD card to load music. I also have mine mounted on the headset instead of the top shelf just under the windscreen.

I have the BMW NAV IV. It does allow changes while moving... Did not realize they took away the SD card and mp3 player on the Nav V... makes me glad I still have my NAV IV

I have the BMW NAV IV. It does allow changes while moving... Did not realize they took away the SD card and mp3 player on the Nav V... makes me glad I still have my NAV IV

Not true.

The NAV V does have a SD card slot and it does play MP3s.

It also has the ability to upload real time weather radar and traffic from your smart phone and display it on the NAV V while you are riding via a Garmin App. One time purchase of like $7 and no monthly fees.

Not true.

It also has the ability to upload real time weather radar and traffic from your smart phone and display it on the NAV V while you are riding via a Garmin App. One time purchase of like $7 and no monthly fees.

Good to know Ken! Other than the price, I think I'm sold on the new BMW Nav V unit. The 5" screen is very nice! I have a 2011 RT with the fancy radio dial on the handlebars. Will I be able to control the GPS through the dial? I've heard it works on the new 2014 models with GPS prep..but I'm not sure about a 2011 edition.

Final comment: Why has Garmin pushed a 5" model for BMW but not in their Zumo line-up? Unless its a marketing strategy driven by BMW, I don't understand the logic for Garmin.

Not true.

Thanks for that info. When I looked at the owners manual on the NAV V it never mentioned a SD card or MP3 player.

Good to know Ken! Other than the price, I think I'm sold on the new BMW Nav V unit. The 5" screen is very nice! I have a 2011 RT with the fancy radio dial on the handlebars. Will I be able to control the GPS through the dial? I've heard it works on the new 2014 models with GPS prep..but I'm not sure about a 2011 edition.

Final comment: Why has Garmin pushed a 5" model for BMW but not in their Zumo line-up? Unless its a marketing strategy driven by BMW, I don't understand the logic for Garmin.

I don't believe there is any functionality with the radio dial on the camhead RTs. There should be full functionality on the new wet head RT just like there is with the new GSW and the K1600.

The best price I was able to find is Cross Country Cycle BMW in New Jersey. They are selling the NAV V with cradle for $775 including shipping and no tax outside of NJ. It is a special they are running on the K1600 forum and maybe the ADV forum. Also some very good info about the NAV V in that thread on the K1600 forum.

I just received the NAV V. I can not make a direct comparison between the NAV IV and NAV V since I have the ZUMU 660LM.

I can say so far I like the new features and display options on the NAV V. The only disappointment is that I can only play the media player MP3's using a blue tooth device but yet I can listen to all the voice commands with the on board speakers. I do not have a blue tooth set up on my RT. I used the rear speaker connection with a jack and hard wired speakers into my helmet.

I felt that if I go on long trips the battery life on the blue tooth unit may not hold up to my expectations and you always have to find a place to recharge the battery on the unit while on the road. I contacted Garmin about this restricted feature and how it made no sense in having it work this way. Hopefully others will complain as well over time and they can make a software change to allow the media player to function either way.

I’ve ordered a ’14 GSA with all the “stuff” and picked up the new Nav V GPS yesterday to familiarize myself with its features. I’ve been using a Garmin 665 for some time and am very familiar with its workings. I have a few questions about the new unit:

1. Can/how do I get rid of the EULA screen when I boot the V up?

2. I can load routes to the micro SD card. How do I import them to the V and access them?

3. How do I import my personal POIs and access them?

4. On my zumo 550 and 665, I’ve removed all the language files, except English. Can I do that with the V? Can I also remove the non-English files in the Help, Owner’s Manual, Tracker and Voice folders?

The first thing I did with this unit is copy it’s hard drive, just as I’ve done with the other Garmin units . . . . just in case.

Mike

...I felt that if I go on long trips the battery life on the blue tooth unit may not hold up to my expectations and you always have to find a place to recharge the battery on the unit while on the road...

I've had the Sena Bluetooth intercom for a few years. I've never run out of battery power in a day. That said, the Sena came with both a charging cord that plugs into a standard AC wall outlet and also one that plugs into the power outlet on my RT (you do have to buy a cigarette-lighter plug to DIN plug adapter for use on the bike). I have never had to charge the Sena while riding, though.

I’ve ordered a ’14 GSA with all the “stuff” and picked up the new Nav V GPS yesterday to familiarize myself with its features. I’ve been using a Garmin 665 for some time and am very familiar with its workings. I have a few questions about the new unit:

1. Can/how do I get rid of the EULA screen when I boot the V up?

2. I can load routes to the micro SD card. How do I import them to the V and access them?

3. How do I import my personal POIs and access them?

4. On my zumo 550 and 665, I’ve removed all the language files, except English. Can I do that with the V? Can I also remove the non-English files in the Help, Owner’s Manual, Tracker and Voice folders?

The first thing I did with this unit is copy it’s hard drive, just as I’ve done with the other Garmin units . . . . just in case.

Mike

My experiences are similar, having moved from my 665 and a 550 to the Nav V.

1 Not sure about removing EULA screen, but, when in the bike mount, the Nav V does not completely shut off, It goes to sleep, so when you restart the bike it immediately goes to the last screen. There is no delay and no start up and EULA.

2 Sure you can use the SD card. Then use Apps>Trip Planner>Menu (triple hash in upper left scene)>Import. But remember this device has a lot more internal memory. I store routes on the internal and music on the SD.

3 I use the POI Loader. Have all the Flying J/Pilots, Denny's, Taco Bells etc They are accessed from Where To>Custom POIs

4 I removed all the languages I either can't speak or don't want to speak from the device. Still works the same.

Archived