IGNORED

Screwed tire

MacGruber

Plug patch is best repair,but the gooey string type repair would work fine too.

Available at any auto parts store,Walmart,etc.

I have used the gooey string type repairs on both MC and cars and have been able to run the tires to their full lifespan without issues.

I would do the repair ASAP,rather than chance the screw causing further damage or somehow backing out and leading to rapid air loss at speed.

JR356

Is it worth having it taken out?

Chances are low that it will give you much problem, it is a screw so it is not going to tread it self out easily.

But ask yourself the question:

Is it worth the risk? to find out that it did leak? say when you are at highway speed or 200 miles from the nearest town.

The tire looks to be in good shape so just have it patched with the patch-stem type plug, (mushroom plug?)

Possible it hasn't gone all the way thru. I pulled one out and rode on till the tire wore out a few thousand miles later.

I take mine to a tire shop and have them install the mushroom plug from the inside as stated above a

AND a larger patch over the plug. I have had no issues with two tires and thousands of miles with this practice.

Possible it hasn't gone all the way thru. I pulled one out and rode on till the tire wore out a few thousand miles later.

Yeah, I tugged on it with a pair of needle nose and heard it go psssst pssssst. Already have the tire off the bike, just have to find a shop to fix it.

just have to find a shop to fix it.

Good luck with that.

I gave up trying to find a shop that would take on the potential of liability.

Got a selection of mushroom patches, a can of glue, a scuffer, and a patch stitcher and did it myself.

Yeah, I tugged on it with a pair of needle nose and heard it go psssst pssssst. Already have the tire off the bike, just have to find a shop to fix it.

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/217-145?utm_source=PLAs&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=&device=c&network=g&matchtype=&gclid=CIKu8464yboCFW1yQgod4T8A5w

Get this,or similar kit and DIY.

Call Auto parts stores in your area,they likely have them,often sold individually or in pairs.

You want "plug patch for radial tires",may need tire glue and installation tool depending on the patch.

JR356

If that were my tire: Yes, pull it out and plug it. There is lots of tread left, and it's worth fixing. I use the little ropey plugs available at most auto parts stores.

If you've never done this, it's rather simple and worth learning how (especially since you don't carry a spare tire). Just get on youtube and type in "how to plug a tire". Bunches of videos will come up with car tire examples. It's the same with the bike.

The T handle kits are nice, but the plain screwdriver handles work fine and pack smaller on the bike. Then all you need is a mini 12V pump, and you're golden.

If that were my tire: Yes, pull it out and plug it. There is lots of tread left, and it's worth fixing. I use the little ropey plugs available at most auto parts stores.

If you've never done this, it's worth learning how (especially since you don't carry a spare tire). Just get on youtube and type in "how to plug a tire". Bunches of videos will come up with car tire examples. It's the same with the bike.

The T handle kits are nice, but the plain screwdriver handles work fine and pack smaller on the bike. Then all you need is a mini 12V pump, and you're golden.

+1

We have done some of these at a tech day where someone was changing tires. Take turns running a screw into a tire to be replaced and then practice plugging it. It's a great practice if someone is willing to sacrifice a tire plug kit. BTW, Harbor Freight has a pretty large kit, around 10-20 gummy worms IIRC for about $4-5.

ropey plug should only be used as an emergency road side repair.

using Co2 cartridge or mini air-compressor to inflate.

a much better repair is to use the plug-patch set up mentioned.

ropey plugs can and often will leak, or work it self out or sometime in into the inside the tire, specially once the tire starting to wear down , there is very little surface for the rubber cement to hold onto.

A patch plug has a larger disk area glued to the inside of the tire.

on cars I have used the ropey thing forever after a nail or screw repair, if one of your tire develops a slow leak , it is a not a big deal, but it should not be trusted in a motorcycle remember motorcycle tires only have a very small contact surface with the road, and only two wheels to balance on.

this has been discussed many times.

Unmount the tire and plug with a mushroom patch.

Mikko

+1 I had a similar screw in the same place. With the repair I rode the tire to 10Kmi.

I thought BMW used Torx screws, not Philips :)

Plug it from the inside with a "mushroom" plug/patch and it will be done right. Gummy worms may hold the air in but do you want to find out at 70mph? Since you got screwed right in the middle of the tread, you should be good for the life of the tire. (Near the sidewall is a no-no) You don't want to be thinking about the plug every time you ride. Or you could replace the tire with a shiny new one.

Archived