IGNORED

Good Better Best Tire Suggestions - R1150RT - HELP!

gmcjetpilot

Looking for Tire Suggestions, make, model and best place to buy for prices. 120/70-70 and 170/60-17 are the sizes.

I did a web search and looked at sites with reviews, and see the Michelin (Pilot Road) PR2 and PR3 are popular. Anyone disagree? Why?

I'm not brand sensitive, Michelin, Bridgestone, Dunlop, Pirelli...

Just give me YOUR opinion, what tires you have used past and present, the Pros and Cons of each. There is no perfect tire and people ride differently. I also know sticky will not last and too hard will not give you traction. I do avoid rain, but sometimes you to have to ride on wet. The worn tires I have know are a little scary when wet.

I want to get at least +6K to 8K miles from them. I do like to ride the twisties fast, but I am no pegs-n-pipe dragging canyon carver anymore, at least on a 2004 R1150RT. I also like to travel and go long distance fairly upright and make some miles... so dual compound tires seem to be best compromise in wear and traction. I guess most if not all premium tires are dual compound, except for more aggressive track tires and pure cruiser tires.

I bought my bike with 41,500 miles with Metzler tires, forget which model. They have well over 10K miles from what I can figure from paper work. I put about 2,500 miles on them since I bought the bike. Tread looked OK when I bought it, but the front is ready, back getting close. I recall Motorcycle tires not lasting very long. Reading the reviews I do see some tires getting well over 10K, others barely make 4K.

Reading the thread on R1150RY handling, when the tires start to square off it can cause some handling peculiarities, like the bike falling into turns. Never thought about that, but interesting. A rounded profile will five more neutral handling.

DaveTheAffable

Well...recent discussion on PR3's going on right here... :grin:

PR3's

Soooo many opinions on tires in general. You may not be helping yourself asking for answers to such a broad question. Good luck!

There has been a huge amount of tire development over recent years, particularly with high-silica compounds to give more grip in the wet and longer life.

If you go with the major brands, Metzeler, Dunlop, Michelin, Pirelli, Bridgestone and buy their latest compounds (e.g. Bridgestone T30 NOT the older BT21 or BT23) you should be getting

a good all-round tire.

Some Metzeler/ Pirelli tyres arrive from China but they are made on German machinery. The European factories have run out of capacity apparently!

Correction I wrote: 120/70-70 and 170/60-17 are the sizes.

Obviously 120/70-17.....

Thanks for the input. Yea I know it is a big subject.

PR3's seem to be obvious. They are not cheap. A set is over $300.

I am heavily biased because I have been using Michelin tyres for decades but right now I would not consider fitting anything else to my bikes.

I am currently on the fourth set of PR3 on my RT and it seems like the bike was designed to run on these rubbers.

They are as good in the handling and grip department as the sports tyre we had available 8 years go but last far longer and are simply unbelievable under the rain. Not to mention they aren't as fussy when it comes to tarmac quality and temperature.

If there's a single fault I can find is they seem to become a bit squirrely when the temperature is over 30°C, but probably dropping a few psi in pressure would cure that.

Before that I run three sets of PR2. When it came out this tyre was a revelation, though the PR3 pushed things much farther, especially in the handling compartment. If you are on a budget the PR2 may fit the bill but the PR3 will repay themselves by lasting longer.

Just remember to run both tyres at maximum pressure in all conditions: due to their extra soft construction they don't like running deflated.

Hope this helped you out.

I have an 02 RT,now has 130,000km on it.I am a tire inflation freak. There are two things I always know,tire pressures and fuel mileage. On a trip east I had new Pirelli's, under 1000km they started to cup. That was under full load,(I was 10lbs under GVW) I had digusting help from Pirelli and the people from Parts Canada.I have run 3 sets of Metzlers Z8 on the bike.Quite pleased, 17,000km (11,000mi) is average. AWESOME rain tire. I'll step down from soap box now....

I recently replaced a set of PR3s with PR2s, mainly because I was on the road, and that's what the shop has in stock. I got almost 15,000 miles from a previous PR2 rear, about 10,000 from the PR3. The PR2 front is much quieter than the PR3, which had a distinct howl that started around 60 mph. The micro-sipes of the PR3s probably provide the best wet weather traction you are going to find in 2013. They're both good tires.

Based on dollars per mile, Shinko Ravens. I have been though 3 sets with no problems. Always get 10,000 miles plus on the back and over 12,000 on the fronts. The price went up dramatically from the first year they were offered but still very good. I have used avon, dunlop, continental, metzler, pirelli, etc, etc, except Michelin??? for some reason??? The story for Shinkos is that the Chinese bought the Yokohama tire factory and took it to China. May not be true but they seem like a typical high quality Japanese tire.

Someone had as PR3's for sale.... Only issue is the front is

120/60ZR-17.... The Specs call for 120/70R-17...

He has the rear as well 170/60ZR-17, as well which is correct.

Looking at the outside diameter it seems to be a no go.

There is 4.2% difference and the MPH would be off 2.5 miles at 65 MPH.

I'm sticking with the PR3's. I'm going to order my third set following years with Metzler, Avon, Bridgestone... The Roadtec Z8s only gave me about 3k, but were tremendous tires. The Bridgestones wer similar but not as much grip, but could slide predictably. I only rode through one set of Avon's, but went right back to the Metzler Z6s at that time.

Pricey, but I get around 5,500 out of the PR3's which is much better in my view. All of the tires were on either 1100/1150RTs.

Keep in mind that I ride more aggressively than an RT should.

Archived