IGNORED

Windscreen cleaner other than Plexus ($$)

Redbrick

I have a California Scientific Windscreen and they give you a recipe on their website to make your own out of water, ammonia, alcohol and car wash soap. I'm not sure it would be wise to use on other screens or not, but it's cheap,easy to carry in a small spray bottle in my tank bag and works great on my Cal Sci screen.

I don't know if it's sold in the US but in Europe Reckitt-Beckinser sells a glass/universal cleaner called Glassex.

It's about the same composition as the homemade recipe CalSci advises uses for their screens but it's so balanced it won't leave misting.

It's also cheaper than most competitors and you can use it around the house as well. :thumbsup:

Aircraft owners have been using Pledge for decades. Cee Bailey's buys cases of Behold at the dollar stores. It's similar to Pledge but a cheaper knock off.

Hydrogen Peroxide - spray it on & it softens up the bug carcasses in a few minutes. Cheap & easy. Comes in a spray bottle at the drugstore or supermarket.

Pledge on my helmet, and face shield, all plastic on the bike. I use it as a glass cleaner on my car, it works like RainX.

I watched a guy clean the wheels on his very clean GS with Pledge.

I am as anal as anyone can be and have tried most products ... this stuff is pretty much all I need! Good for shields, plastic, chrome, etc. !!

41aX%2B0vHNdL._SY300_.jpg

Glad to hear you like this as I just bought some the other day. Someone told me it was the Honda Spray replacement..... we'll see.

Careful with the ammonia on plastics, especially your windshield and helmet visor. Polycarbonate ("Lexan")will fog up if ammonia is used. Coated polycarb will hold up better if the coating is intact but why take the chance. Lots of non-ammonia products, mentioned above, work just as well. California Scientific shields are acrylic ("Plexiglass") which is OK with ammonia. For a length explanation of why CalSci doesn't use polycarbonate, see their website.

Go to Wally World, in the RV section, and get ProtectAll. About $8 for a 16oz spray bottle. Stuff is liquid carnauba wax so safe for windscreens and visors and is really, really slick.

I own the Honda spray cheeze, plenty of Plexi cans, and use 303 on my boat as nothing works better for the vinyl. That said, good 'ol hydrogen peroxide rules for moto windshields and bug smashin' car grills. Try it, be amazed, report back with findings, start a cult, convert the world.

I am as anal as anyone can be and have tried most products ... this stuff is pretty much all I need! Good for shields, plastic, chrome, etc. !!

41aX%2B0vHNdL._SY300_.jpg

Glad to hear you like this as I just bought some the other day. Someone told me it was the Honda Spray replacement..... we'll see.

This IS the ORIGINAL Honda formula before they messed with it!! This stuff is amazing. You are going to like it!!

Shaolin Master Sergeant

Pledge works but I prefer Honda Spray much better and Amsoil Waterless Wash and Wax spray next if I want cleaning and slippery surface protection.

Invisible Glass makes short work of insect guts. Very good cleaner but no slippery coating added.

Quick detail sprays work well too.

Klasse All In One is an outstanding cleaner and acrylic sealer. I clean windshield with Invisible Glass, followed by Klasse AIO to act as a base layer then Collinite wax to give me a protective layer that makes getting bug splatters very easy to take off. Most of the time I use Honda spray for routine cleanup of the windshield.

I just bought a Cee Bailey along with a bottle of their cleaner. Can i use any of the options mentioned in this thread on it without risking damage to the screen?

I just bought a Cee Bailey along with a bottle of their cleaner. Can i use any of the options mentioned in this thread on it without risking damage to the screen?

Yes! I have used Honda Spray Polish on Cee Bailey's shields for years and they look like new.

That Cee Bailey's cleaner goes a long long way when used in their spray bottle which is miserly in applying a very effective cleaner and polish.

For many years I've used the CalSci recipe (an adapted version of the strong one with extra ammonia) on my VStreams (coated polycarb) with no issues, sometimes after a wet towel soak if the bugs are very heavy. The Cee Bailey stuff is a lot better and way superior to Plexus or similar. It is both a cleaner and polish where Plexus is mostly a polish with poor cleaning ability in removing stuck bugs that also cloud screens with a light haze if left on in high humidity environments (that haze can be buffed off easily however). Plexus is btter on panels and other plastic or paint being easier to buff out than typical spray waxes or detailers.

Archived