IGNORED

GPS Android Tablet? Mini iPad? Best Affordable GPS

gmcjetpilot

I know the Garmin Zumo 665 GPS are the top of the line of late. Has Bluetooth, XM radio and can upload routes and share with other Zumos....

However I am looking for a more creative solution.

Anyone use an Android Tablet or mini IPAD for navigation.

If you do what software do you use....

I know my Android phone has Google maps but I think only works with a cell phone signal.... I could be wrong. The phone is too small to see when riding.

I tried using my Garmin Nuvi on the bike.

For a used older GPS what about the old Garmin Street Pilot III. I like having dedicated buttons....

Ram has mounts available for tablets, and Google Maps has an option where you can download map sections for offline viewing, or there are many apps that store a national road database on the device so as long as it is GPS-capable lack of cellular/data service wouldn't be a problem. And a 7"+ screen sure would be nice. But probably the two biggest issues to overcome would be sensitivity to weather and a capacitive touch screen that won't respond to gloved hands (unless you use special gloves, or modify all the ones you have, kind of a PITA.) A waterproof dedicated GPS with a resistive touchscreen is still probably the best solution, and there are some good deals available on used hardware.

Dude, I just RAM mounted a $100 Nuvi above my speedo - looks good, works better and if I get into rain, I just slip a ziploc over the top and it stays dry & the touchscreen still works, even with gloves on(we really DO get rain here in NM... hahahaha). For real downpours, I have a bag of rubber bands in my topcase to secure the ziploc around the mount. It was significantly cheaper, though I don't have sound, which I'm ok with.

A couple of things that are nice about the Zumo is that it's weatherproof and shockproof.......two important features. One of the things that I really like is that I pair mine with my Schuberth helmet and can listen to music through my Zumo, communicate with other riders and make/receive phone calls from my cell. One of the really nice features on the Zumo is a function where you can find gas, food,lodging and BMW Dealers easily and with the push of a button call ahead and make reservations. It's nice to have when you are cold, wet, hungry and looking for a hotel/restaurant. You can also download some fun and interesting files as well, I have all the restaurants from Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives on mine with a notification feature that tells me when I'm near one of them. I realize the Zumo is expensive, but if you like these features, you'll have a tough time finding a waterproof/shockproof phone/tablet that you can mount to the bike that will do this.

I go here for a refurbished GPS.

http://magellan.factoryoutletstore.com/cat/1546/Magellan-Maestro-Series-GPS.html?cid=4183&chid=1&gclid=CMOz5dHx17oCFQ7xOgod8gEAQw

I have used these for years and need a new one as my old now is worn out. Good value for the money I think. Never had a problem for 6 years of riding. I put the unit in a protective waterproof case found on Ebay. Good for all but the worst torments of driving rain.

The directions the unit displays I have found are more reliable than some Garmins when group riding and I only got recalculated once in Putney VT. for some unknown reason.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Android phone will work just fine without a cell signal. Use one of the offline map apps. OSMAND I think is one. There are a number of those apps. The limitations are how many maps you can download for free and memory.

Used osmand, I think, when in Europe recently with the Austrian and Germany maps.

Galaxy S2 smartphone with CoPilot works OK with a Ram mount. No cell service needed since all North American maps are stored in the phone. Frequently on sale for $9.99. Biggest drawback is that the battery drains itself after 4-5 hours, even with the charger connected. I think this due to the power draw of the GPS receiver and the constantly lit screen. This not a huge drawback for me, as I prefer to use a route list on my tank bag for long trips. The GPS is used mostly for voice prompted navigation in and through large, unfamiliar cities.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Further: Sacto929 isn't on here much but is prepping his GS with a Galaxy S4 as his GPS.

There are special USB connectors that will maintain full charge when in GPS mode since the standard ones are current limited and will allow the phone to discharge. Also uses Tasker to write scripts that provide a virtually endless series of If, Then operations within the phone.

Archived