IGNORED

Did I blow it?

Bud

I just bought a "little used" Arai Profile helmet w/o seeing it.

Sell assures me it was never dropped/damaged in any way and it it "like new".

Anyone else bought a used helmet?

Nope.

Don't do used helmets, boots, or underwear.

:P

That doesn't mean ya blew it.

Could be NOS quality and even fit great.

I have but I knew the seller. I think with a bunch of close up pics and with removable liner and pads that can be washed, I really don't see a problem.

Request the manufacturing date. The general recommendation from manufacturers is to replace in five or so years. The liners break down... and that's what protects your noggin.

I do not see it as a problem. I haven't purchased one yet but I've sold several, all with very little use. There are so few opportunities to try helmets in a brick and mortor that I buy on line. After living with it for a few rides I decide it wasn't for me and offer it up for sale.

On a separate note, if a helmet can't withstand a drop from my bike's seat I'm certainly not going to trust it to protect me in a crash. So much of what you read about when to replace helmets lacks any kind of actual proven data.

I don't have a problem with a gently used helmet. Heck I dropped mine in the hardware store last week and it didn't do any damage. I do have a 25 year old helmet I wouldn't wear. The shell's fine but the energy absorbing foam is gummy. So now it's a keepsake from old adventures.

The foam rubber liner does nothing to protect you. It is there for comfort. It is the "crushable" styrofoam-like inner shell that protects the most. The outer shell also protects, especially from penetration impacts.

I did it. A Shoei. My size and my color. Seller said it was worn twice and always with a helmet slik. Looked new when I got it. Washed it anyway. Wore it for 6 years. Still, I was hesitant and would be hesitant again. My Shoei now I bought new on closeout.

I don't do used helmets.

I know Shoei has a program where you can send in your helmet and they will X-ray it free of charge. Dunno if Aria does the same thing?

I believe the theory about dropping helmets and thus ruining them has been disproven. I believe I read that on one of the helmet makers' websites, but maybe I read it on the Intergoogle. Either way, it's gotta be true.

Consider: the helmet weighs very little, and when dropped there is no impact on the "styrofoam" which is the head protectant. Ergo, no reduction in protection. When your ten pound head is inside and the helmet is dropped, the "styrofoam" is compressed, and the helmet is junk.

I personally throw mine out after five years, after first smashing them so they're unusable. That may be silly, but every manufacturer makes that recommendation.

I've made it a practice to give my older helmets away to younger guys who don't have one or don't have a spare for when they carry an occasional passenger. I've also given a couple to a Goodwill-type organization. I figure some protection is better than none.

I realize that manufacturers have their guidelines, but how much of that is related to increasing sales or something coming from the legal department. There just doesn't seem to be much scientific proof to support the guidelines put out by the helmet makers..

Every helmet on the road is a "used" helmet.

People sell used stuff all the time for a myriad of reasons. Some are shysters, some are model citizens. It's a bit of a crap shoot, and that low price you pay reflects some of the risk involved.

Report back when it arrives, and let us know how it turned out.

I've bought and sold used helmets before. Make sure to get detailed photos and that it's not from the 90s!

Sometimes a helmet doesn't work for whatever reason and they've got to go somewhere.

Archived