IGNORED

rewiring power outlet

walton66

Well, I have taken off all the plastic for the purpose of wiring my outlet directly to a fuse block I have. To someone who has also done this, did you cut off the factory connector from the outlet and splice on a new pigtail or did you completely replace the outlet.

thanks

Well, I have taken off all the plastic for the purpose of wiring my outlet directly to a fuse block I have. To someone who has also done this, did you cut off the factory connector from the outlet and splice on a new pigtail or did you completely replace the outlet.

thanks

Afternoon bwpsg42

I see you have a 1200RT listed in your profile.

I have seen it done it both ways that you asked about (plus some others) on the 1200RT's.

If you are going to only use low power accessories then you could cut the OEM connector off then splice that to a B+ direct wire harness. (should then be limited to a 10 amp fuse)

As a rule I don't like cutting up the OEM BMW harness as that shows rather poor wiring skills as well a possibly effecting the BMW warranty on any wire issues near that harness.

The other thing to keep in mind is-- that on the BMW 1200RT the OEM power outlet is a low power outlet that is computer controlled so the outlet pins are micro pins (very small diameter) & only rated at 10 amps.

Some do run more amps though those small outlet pins but that is just asking for future problems.

Personally, what I do on the BMW 1200RT when going battery direct 15+ amps is to either install the Power-Let outlet as well as the Power-Let battery direct wire harness (those are good for 20+ amps) or use the older BMW (1100/1150) large-terminal-pin outlets then make up my own fused wire harness to mate to that.

Added: I should add that some of the early BMW 1200RT's did have the higher amp power outlets as OEM so if your power outlets are large pin you should be good to go with those. In fact Power-Let sells a B+ harness to go with those early 1200 power outlets.

thanks for confirming my thoughts. the wires leading to yshe outlet are so small I'm surprised they are rated as high as they are. I've got all the plastic off so I'll order an outlet and wait to reassemble.

Archived