IGNORED

Online Clothing Sizing?

I know many of you buy their gear online or even have it made on order by sending the specs in, so here's a question for you.

Recently I have started shopping around for a new jacket + trousers combo and I have become very interested in the products manufactured by Dutch company Dane. And they sell directly to customers.

Big problem is sizing: according to their online table I should a 50 (Euro) size jacket but during my recent trip to the Milan bike show I stopped by at their stand and they were so kind as to allow me to try on one of the jackets they had on display. It was a 52 and it fit me, although it was a bit on the "Spidi side" meaning very close fitting. To fit in one of their 50 sized jacket I would probably need to grind my ribcage to size. :rofl:

Sadly they had no trousers I could try on (even they acknowledged the ones they had on display were "a bit on the small side") so back to online sizing... and I found I should buy a 56! :P

Were I to wear a pair of regular trousers in that size I would look like a clown wearing baggy trousers!

The big problem with Dane is that all shops carrying them seem to have only odd sizes on stock and they often skip over the Pro Shell models, meaning a trip to one of their dealers in Germany would most likely be a waste of time.

So... anyone has tips on how to get out of this colossal mess I put myself into? Should I just bite the bullet and buy Rukka like everyone else?

Advice is welcome.

If they have a good return policy, take your best shot and if it doesn't fit, send it back for an exchange for a different size. May be some shipping cost but long term you may get what you're looking for. If they don't have a good return policy, go somewhere else for your suit.

CoarsegoldKid

If they sell directly to customers give them a call and see what they recommend. Let them know your concern because of what you discovered at the show. Ask for free return shipping.

I refuse to pay "extra" for the Rukka 5 year warranty.

I know my BMW clothing sizes exactly and then wait for end-of-season or end-of-line bargains or even eBay.

BMW Motorrad Munchen has every size of every suit (more or less) hanging on rails in their vast building.

It is worth investing some time there before deciding to go with Dane.

My 2-cents,

John

I refuse to pay "extra" for the Rukka 5 year warranty.

I know my BMW clothing sizes exactly and then wait for end-of-season or end-of-line bargains or even eBay.

BMW Motorrad Munchen has every size of every suit (more or less) hanging on rails in their vast building.

It is worth investing some time there before deciding to go with Dane.

My 2-cents,

John

John, the big problem is BMW suits aren't made by Stadler anymore but by some no name contractors in Hungary or wherever. They don't even use Gore-Tex Pro Shell or even Performance Shell anymore.

At that point I could just buy an Alpine Stars combo and be done with it: local shop where I bought my latest boots had plenty of those on sale over a month ago already.

I ride all year around and, after going through innumerable items of clothing, I came to the conclusion that only a handful of brands meet my demands.

Sadly I had to take Hein Gericke off the list because they are in bad financial shape and are following BMW's lead in cheapening their offering. Plus 600€ for a performance Shell jacket borders on the outrageous, even with HG's five year warranty.

I have done my homework and it's down to either Rukka or Dane. I took Stadler off the equation because 1100€ for a jacket alone is way too much, even with a 10 year warranty and Stadler's quality.

Indeed the BMW Streetguard does not use Goretex Pro-Shell any more, partly because the material is so fabulously expensive. The Goretex label means that it has passed a Gore technical and waterproofing inspection. Fair enough ...but it does not mean that everything else is rubbish.

I talked the BMW Clothing technician at Garmisch last year and she said the the Schoeller C-change membrane is just as good and the Schoeller people are much nicer to work with.

I am not going to argue against your personal experience with past clothing - no point. Personally I would not hesitate to buy BMW Streetguard 3 clothing .

Having said that, I have a Goretex Pro-shell Streetguard 2 (bought from a BMW dealer off eBay for €250) and a pair of HG Master V Pro-shell pants (bought at an HG close-out sale for €180).

The Rukka stuff is not perfect, but at least you have the security of the 5-year guarantee and that is built into the price you pay.

My dream textile suit - made to measure by Hideout Leathers in the UK and being tested by the UK Police force - is made from Kevlar-lined Schoeller C-change material. Goretex will not sell the Pro-Shell material in small enough quantities to be economically viable for such a small-scale manufacturer.

Finally, good luck with your choice of a new suit.

Regards,

John

Archived