IGNORED

Oh My Aching @$$

jbr7t

Lately I've seen a few posts of folks having some horrible customer service from seat makers. I was hoping to get some input on the GOOD customer service. I've been thinking on looking for a new seat and as you know from many of my previous posts..I LIKE FEEDBACK as part of my research. Please share any positive/negative experience you've had with any seat company. Also, share what you like/dislike about your custom or semi custom seat. Thanks for the input!

Buy a Kahedo seat from Touratech... no need to send yours in to be reworked and if they say they will ship in five working days, they will ship in five working days. Here they won't even charge you until they are ready to ship.

The 1150GS rider seat here is about 350€ (passenger is slightly cheaper): may be more expensive in the US but Kahedo seats are worth every penny. :thumbsup:

I'm convinced that the seat maker is not as important as being able to get a true custom fit, which means finding someone in your area for a proper fitting — much like a bespoke suit. Since you are in VA, Anton Largiader may be able to offer some suggestions, or (if he's still in business) Matthew Crawford, who has a shop in Richmond. See: Shockoe Moto.

My arse meter reads like this. ;)

1) Russell Daylong :):):):):)

2) Sargent :):):)

3) Corbin :):)

4) Stock BMW :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Joking aside, Russell by far is the king of long distance seats!

Pat

My arse meter reads like this. ;)

1) Russell Daylong :):):):):)

2) Sargent :):):)

3) Corbin :):)

4) Stock BMW :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Joking aside, Russell by far is the king of long distance seats!

Pat

Pat's right, although every seat maker has many satisfied customers. The RDL is without question the most desirable seat out there.

BUT. . . .

If you're the kind of guy who hangs off in the corners like Mark Marquez or Ben Spies, the batwing portion of the seat will interfere with smooth transitions. You can do it, but you won't left/right/left as quickly as you would with a seat with a more traditional (albeit less comfortable) profile. That being said, I'm on my sixth RDL in my riding career, and I've learned to live with those road-racy limitations in exchange for all-day comfort. And I still managed to hustle an RDL-equipped RT down a set of twisties reasonably well in my day. Just not quite at Warp9.

I'd have to agree. I've had RDL, Corbin, Sargeant, Leatherman and several other "custom" seats. By far and away, the RDL has been the most comfortable.

I just picked up water cooled GS and I'm thinking about putting on the BMW comfort seat only because I think the bat wings on the RDL would look stupid on a GS....

I, like EffBee, don't hang off the seat at warp 9 in the two sites any more...and the older I get, I really don't give a sh$@ if my shoes match my belt....or if I look stupid.

The more I think about it, I'm going to get the RDL, pimped out with the red leather seat face and black sides... How's that for looking stupid !

I can't speak for other brands, but I've had two Bill Mayer Saddles. The first one, on my '02 V-Strom, I did a ride-in and had it custom made for me. It was great. The second one came on my '04 RT when I bought it, obviously made for somebody else. It's been terrible for 54,000 miles. :)

OK, truth is, it's not as good as the one custom-made for me. But it hasn't been bad enough for me to anything about it. And the BMS saddles don't have wings that keep you from moving around.

jbr7t, if your @$$ is aching, I'd recommend the RDL like several of the others have. And since you asked about customer service, I can happily report that RDL's is excellent. I ordered my first custom saddle around two years ago, and although quite comfortable, it was hurting under my thighs where the wings were located. When I called, they simply said "send it back…we want you to have a comfortable saddle." They did an "adjustment" re-build and return shipped…all at no charge. It doesn't get any better than that! I therefore recommend RDL's seat, but their customer service even more. Great Folks!

One thing I forgot to add to my post above. RDL seats are so popular that starting in springtime, the wait can be 2 months just for a build date, and then two weeks for the actual build. Your timing right now is excellent, because in winter their business slows down a bit and you can get your seat made a lot quicker.

I have an RDL on my 1200RT. I like it for long days but, personally, I don't find it any better than the BMW comfort saddle I had on my 1150RT. One thing to keep in mind for the RDL is the probable/possible loss of inseam. I'm 6'1" and I find that the RDL in the high position is quite awkward at stops. Consequently, I only use it in the low position. For local rides, I just use the stock seat in the high position which gives me more than enough inseam room. I may be the exception, but I'm not sure I'd go with an RDL again.

My 04 GS currently has a corbin seat. This was with it when I bought the bike, so it wasn't made to my size/riding style. It's not really that it's a bad seat. For my typical just under an hour commute I don't have any pain or hotspots. However, after riding up to Keith's a couple weeks ago, I discovered that just over an hour in that saddle and I'm ready for a pit stop. A couple hot spot areas and just general discomfort. I do like the corbin for the "fun" riding as it does allow me to shift easily and occasionaly hang off in the corners. Not that I ever disobey a speed limit. I think that was the one thing that just from looking at the Day Long I got a little concerned on the "bat wing". But, I certainly spend more time in the saddle than I do hanging off of it. And with what ya'll have said of their customer service and what I'd heard previously it certainly sounds like a good company to work with.

I hadn't heard of the Kontour seat before. I like the waterproof and air flow design. I could certainly see where that would be nice in the Virginia heat and humidity during the summer.

I've ridden RDL and it is GREAT but it is a bit tall and my wife didn't like the pillion seat.

Russell's are supposed to get better with age but I rode a friends Valk and it was like sitting on a board ... not for me.

The low style Sargent is the winner for me and I believe that they still sell with a money-back guarantee. No custom work involved and the seat is built on their pan. It's just a nice wide platform with very high density foam. 600-800 mile days with a bead-rider for airflow (summer only) works fine for me.

I've had great customer service from Sargent. No, they aren't custom fitted but they are thoughtfully made on a new seat pan (no waiting). When I bought my most recent Sargent for my 2011 R-RT I had a good conversation with the fellow on the phone who explained the options and costs, took my order, and I had the seat in four days.

BTW, I found the original BMW seat one of the best OE seat I've used but not as good as it could be - hence, the Sargent.

Also possibly worth a shot is a sheepskin seat cover. Mine is from Alaska Leather (website currently closed for renovation) but there are others (Aerostich, etc.)

I put an RDL on my R1100R instead of stock :thumbsup:

Have the BMW Comfort Seat on my R1150RT since new :thumbsup:

Both work well for my ageing arse.... ;)

If I WAS to go with another seat for my RT, I would go with an RDL.

Archived