IGNORED

I Must WRENCH Now - Need Info Please

Michael B

As the happy owner of a 2011 R1200 RT with 30,000+ miles, I must now become a wrench-head because my dealer has just closed. The closest other dealer is 120 miles away. I need some friendly advice with emphasis on doing my 6,000 mile maintenance routines myself.

As an old apple tree mechanic, I think I can do front and rear brake pads, oil changes, gearbox fluid changes, final drive fluid changes, and air filter. I would probably need a shop to do brake fluid changes, valve adjustments, spark plugs, TB sync, alternator belt, and clutch adjustments.

The main thing I would need is a good shop manual. The new Haynes manual covering '10-'12 R bikes is inadequately detailed. None others seem to exist for a 2011 RT other than a $110 CD, which I may have to spring for, which may then allow me to do those things I would otherwise have to take to a shop.

Any specific tools I would need to buy and from whom? Where would be the best place to get parts at a reasonable price?

One tech question: Is it true that before doing a TB sync, one must first check with something in the bike computer to make sure it is at absolute zero? If so, with what is that done?

Thanks for what I know will be good advice from you guys.

I think a GS-911 would be a good investment for you - beware of the Chinese knock-offs though.

The BMW CD can be had for less money from Motorworks in the UK - you would pay the exc. VAT price and even with shipping would be cheaper. Motobins are usually slightly cheaper too but do not list any stock - might be worth an email.

There is nothing very difficult to do on these bikes as long as you are methodical and have the books.

You can also consider hosting a tech-day, which will bring a host of folks with good advice and knowledge to your door.

Andy

michael…

My advice is to keep your eyes and ears open for an experienced "hand" somewhere in your area who can coach you through the various things you mention.

In this forums' lingo you need a guru, or a Tech Days, AND to read, read and read more on the topics you mention. Somewhere on the inter webs is instruction on how to do the things you ask about.

I would start by making detailed "diary" of what work you do/did, the dates and mileage etc. it will help you later.

- the Jim vonBaden video is well worth whatever it takes to get it.

- join the BMWMOA… BMW Owners Association which will give you access to their forums, more "friends" and as good an on-line resource as can be had… beyond this one.

You are off to a great start… enjoy the ride.

Well between this forum and the ADVrider forum you will be able to do most/all of what you need. It will run up printing ink costs though. I have found most/all here to be no nonsense factual people. Some like DR and Rubber Chicken et. al. are outstanding. Basically my BMW has been in the shop 2 times in 100,000 plus miles. I have done MANY brake fluid, valve, TB syncs, oil etc.etc. outside. Just cover everything up before dark, rain, snow, wind hits. yes i dream of having my bike on my own lift but realistically it won't happen. My dealer was always 120 miles away and some costs were crazy high but what did me in was that when riders were having trouble on the road they moved to the front of the line at the dealer shop! Well I was the first one in before opening time for my scheduled appointment and my bike ended up being worked on at 4:30! Well you can only read dealer magazines so often and I did have things to do at work 120 miles away. I am sure the 8 or so long distance riders having trouble were overjoyed though. They just kept showing up all day long! Tools? a special hex key to fit in a reversible battery drill is nice because the plastic is a pain in the *** to get off. The oil filters can be stabbed to remove but a plastic oil filter socket is better. (you may have to file or sand the rim to fit in the hole though unless you buy the expensive BMW one). I sawed the alternator belt cover in half to make things easier. Parts? search the forums. Tires fairly easy to do yourself but using spoons does tend to leave marks behind. Count on losing screws from the plastic and rubber washers too. I personally do not have any engine diagnostic tool and have been OK for about 120,000 miles. No you do not have to check a computer to determine TDC or other timing marks

but what did me in was that when riders were having trouble on the road they moved to the front of the line at the dealer shop!

I can only hope that if you ever break down on a trip that no one will be that kind to you.

Stan

If your local dealer closed there may be some local BMW wrench benders looking for side work, or maybe they ended up at a local independent shop. Post a question on you're local Craigslist, call some local MC dealers. Your answer may be closer than you think.

Joe Frickin' Friday
As an old apple tree mechanic, I think I can do front and rear brake pads, oil changes, gearbox fluid changes, final drive fluid changes, and air filter. I would probably need a shop to do brake fluid changes, valve adjustments, spark plugs, TB sync, alternator belt, and clutch adjustments.

If you can do the former items, then you can do the latter. You will only need a few specialized tools beyond what you have for the former tasks:

-a GS-911, which enables a laptop computer to interface with the bike for diagnostic purposes

-a differential pressure gauge for balancing throttle bodies. There are a number of devices out there; I use a TwinMax.

-feeler gauges (for valve adjustments); you may already have these.

If you have experience as a mechanic, then you likely have a set of torque wrenches. If not, I strongly recommend getting some.

Brake bleeds are much easier if you fit your calipers with Speedbleeders. These are bleed fittings that incorporate a checkvalve, which greatly simplifies the bleed process; bleeding becomes a relatively quick one-handed operation. (I'm assuming here that BMW has not gone back to wizzy brakes...)

Parts can be ordered online from a number of dealers. For economy's sake, you might consider buying multiple oil filters, air filters, and other items in a single shipment.

Where in Ohio are you? Maybe I can come by and walk you through a 6K service some time next spring (I'm in Ann Arbor, MI). My 2009 RT hasn't seen the inside of a dealership since its 600-mile service (the only reason I let them do that was just to avoid any possible hassle if an engine-related warranty issue were to come up later). I've done all my own service since then (and before then on my '99 1100RT), and so can you.

If you can do the former items, then you can do the latter. You will only need a few specialized tools beyond what you have for the former tasks:

-a GS-911, which enables a laptop computer to interface with the bike for diagnostic purposes

I agree except that the GS-911 is a "nice to have" vs a "need to have". I have one but have done the maintenance on my bikes for years before I got one. (BTW, since the "consumer" version allows for 10 bikes to be registered to it, you may find someone close who has one who is willing to share - I do that with my local group.)

A good manual, Jim VB's DVD (and his online vids & articles/notes) and patience are all that you need to do to take on most maintenance on the bike. I did my clutch this summer and when the bike was all torn down I wasn't sure I'd get it all back together but no extra (or missing) bolts at the end and it's running better than ever. I did need that whole patience thing (and a couple of tools I made for the job that the Haynes manual suggested).

but what did me in was that when riders were having trouble on the road they moved to the front of the line at the dealer shop!

I can only hope that if you ever break down on a trip that no one will be that kind to you.

Stan

I'd argue that if I came from 120 miles away, I was on the road.

I agree except that the GS-911 is a "nice to have" vs a "need to have".

Is there another way to clear the service reminder without going to a dealer to have it cleared by their computer?

Is there another way to clear the service reminder without going to a dealer to have it cleared by their computer?
Not as far as I know - it's either the dealer or someone with a GS-911. Mine's an 07 so doesn't have the reminder. Some people ignore it, others get a friend with a GS-911 or dealer to reset it (for a really really really long time out so it doesn't need to be reset again).

Thanks, everyone, for your very good comments. With that in mind:

It sounds like the GS-911 is the only way to deal with my RT's computer other than the dealer. How does it work? Where do you plug it into? Is the computer, once connected to the GS-911, intuitive enough for a nubie to do what is necessary? I'm starting to get the feeling the darn computer is as much an umbilical cord from owner to required BMW dealer as it is an all-knowing diagnostic device. Bless you guys with the gonads to do your maintenance without one.

Finding a volunteer "mentor" to take me through each maintenance item once sounds too logical to ignore. Thanks Joe Frickin' Friday for volunteering but Cincinnati is way too far for you to do so, but mucho thanks my man!! I'm going to try to find that person locally. Once through should git 'er done!

Appreciate all the good input. You guys are great!

It sounds like the GS-911 is the only way to deal with my RT's computer other than the dealer. How does it work? Where do you plug it into? Is the computer, once connected to the GS-911, intuitive enough for a nubie to do what is necessary?
It comes in two flavors - USB only or USB/Bluetooth. Get the 2nd if you're getting one. That allows you to pair it to your smartphone and you can access what they term "emergency" features using an app on your phone. These are a subset of the full computer management settings available when it is hooked to your laptop.

This second mode gives you access to a full set of tools that you can use to manage, monitor, diagnose or reset the computer and its sensors. So you can see that the O2 sensor is bad or the sidestand switch is inoperative or the timing is off, etc. etc. etc.

Here's a list of all of the features/functions of the GS-911. And no, it's not a newbie tool. You'll need to understand what the readings should be when operating normally in order to use it as a diagnostic when something is wrong with the bike. Kind of like most everything though - you need to understand what your tools are telling you in order to get its value.

It's easy to attach to the bike - there's a diagnostic plug under the seat like the OBC connector on a car except that it's round vs the car's rectangular connector.

You already posses the main set of tools and knowledge you will need to keep your RT in good shape which is this forum. Since you are in Ohio joining a local club would be a great way to gain access to a GS-911 and a TB sync tool. Add a torx set, feeler gauges, oil, filters, plugs and o-rings/crush washers and you are almost home free. These bikes are easy to keep running. There is so much info on the web you don't even need the CD. Just take your time and ask questions. By the way, which dealer closed?

First tip on an otherwise simple operation. When pulling off spark plug caps (these are the coils BTW), disconnect the small wires to them before pulling as they are fragile. Can potentially save you some grief. :grin:

Joe Frickin' Friday
First tip on an otherwise simple operation. When pulling off spark plug caps (these are the coils BTW), disconnect the small wires to them before pulling as they are fragile. Can potentially save you some grief. :grin:

This reminds me of one more indispensible tool for adjusting valve clearances:

BMW Coil-Over Spark Plug Cap Removal Tool

You will want to get one of these.

This reminds me of one more indispensible tool for adjusting valve clearances:

BMW Coil-Over Spark Plug Cap Removal Tool

You will want to get one of these.

I have one of those but I've found that DR's method of using two flat blade screwdrivers works better.

Stan

That's not nice.

Stan

8 times my appointment was put back. Once or twice I was OK with but 8 times??? So far any break downs on the road I solved myself which at least two of these riders could have done also if they carried even a basic tool kit (tire leak and loose spark plug???). A half hour more and I would have been there overnight. Try it sometime yourself and your opinion may change.

I too have been looking for a torque wrench to cover the smaller values common to working on bikes, and have also been leaning toward the CDI, but this one, which does have the click feature...

http://www.amazon.com/Torque-602NMRMHSS-8-Inch-Adjustable-Micrometer/dp/B002IARRSS/ref=pd_sim_sbs_hi_28#productDetails

However, there's recently been a price bump from around $150 to just over $200, which makes me think I could get by with one of these...

http://www.amazon.com/VENZO-Bicycle-Torque-Wrench-Socket/dp/B00811WQT8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1386170071&sr=8-1&keywords=Venzo+torque+wrench

for less than a third of the price -- killer good reviews, too. If you're using it daily (or even weekly), the CDI (or one of the other OMG beautifully engineered alternatives noted above) is probably worth the extra scratch. For the rest of us amateur/journeyman home wrenches out there, I'm thinking this should do the trick.

Archived