IGNORED

Corbin Low Verses BMW Low Seat for 2013 RT

BMWLou

Just purchased 90th Anniversary R1200RT and considering the Corbin or BMW one piece low seat. Does anyone have experience with either? How is the fit of the Corbin?

Thanks for any info.

I have a Sargent Low and it is higher than the stock seat. Don't know anything about how any other seat would be from a height point. My inseam is 27" so I really do not have much choice when it comes to seats. I much prefer the Sargent but again the height.

I'm on my 4th RT and 3rd Corbin. I've tried just about every saddle brand and Corbin's still the best for me, although I have no experience with the one-piece low seat. It's well-made and not overly mushy like some others.

The latest Corbins weigh less than they used to, but no Corbin I've owned weighed anywhere near 20 lbs, Regardless, the few pounds difference over the stock seat is trivial. They'll shape it how you want it.

Every butt is different.

I've got a Corbin low on my '06 RT. I've had it there for threeish years and I've got no complaints,...rides fine for 10+ hour days. The weight is no where near 20lbs, I'd guess around the 5-8ish.

I bought a 2013 RT with a low BMW seat. Found the seat to be very uncomfortable (had the same issue with the stock seat on a GTL that I owned last year - put a Bill Mayer on that one). I got the Corbin low seat for the RT. Very comfortable for me, and I'm very happy with it. I'm 5-11 with a 31" inseam.

I know asking a question about a seat is like starting a thread about oil or tires, but what I am looking for is input from those who are height challenged. I have been riding for about 50 years now and yes been short 5'5" for all my riding years. What I am trying to avoid is lowering the bike. This is not my first RT but as I get older a tall bike becomes more of an issue. Interesting thing my K1600 is not as tall as the RT. Just my preference to ride an RT. I am open to all ideas so anyone out there who has solved the height problem, please respond.

I am working on a series of articles right now, for MCN, and ON as well, on this very issue - how to lower a bike's seat height without touching suspension.

So far I've tested Touratech's low seat and Rocky's Mayer's. I've also added a set of Suburban Machinery peg relocators to make up for the lower seat height.

Corbin may participate in the test but so far has not sent product.

Thus far my experience with the Mayer product is nothing but A+ from fit to finish to comfort to lowering functionality. I will know more as the miles add up, but I'd recommend you search for Bill Mayer saddles, and understand that this custom built solution costs less than many off-the-rack jobs like Corbin. It's not particularly difficult to deduce that custom built usually feels much better!

-MKL

Dealing with Rocky (Bill's eldest son) on the article also. Nothing but A++++ from him so far.

Actually I'm almost ready to submit the piece. The text is done, but I still need to take pictures. Now there's 5 inches of snow on the ground, though - messing me up!

-MKL

I've had seats from most of the seat makers and always come back to Corbin. Despite all the bad press about customer service, I think their seats are the best all around. They are firm - which I like - and heavy - but so what. They also provide excellent comfort for all day riding and the seat pans fit perfectly. As to your specific question, I had a Corbin low seat on my 2012 standard height RT and it was perfect. By removing the standard 2 piece seat hardware, the bike was dropped about 1" without any changes to the suspension. Strong +1 from me.

Interesting about Corbin. I have had several Corbin seats through the years. About 20 years ago put a Corbin Gun Fighter on my R90S. Still have it and love it. Also have a similar sat on my R60/5 that I am restoring. Again a great fit. Having said that, had a Corbin on my 2005 RT and never could get it to fit right. Two out of three. I would love to try the Corbin before I buy it. I was hoping they had one in stock in Florida because they are only about 350 miles from me. Would be worth the ride to try one and if it felt good could buy it on the spot.

I like the idea of a 1+ inch drop. Right now I am using the low 2 piece BMW seat. The other day, I had a chance to set on a 2011 RT with the BMW Comfort Seat. My understanding the Corbin seat is pretty much the same as the BMW Comfort Seat. I hate to spend what BMW wants for a stock seat. Just in looks Corbin has the stock seat beat.

In my article I'm seeing 2+ inches seat height drop, so 1" is not a big deal. The key is that this drop does NOT translate directly into flatfooting, and the reason is seat width. For the sake of comfort, most of these aftermarket seats have a "bucket" shape that is a good 1.5-3" wider than stock. Your thighs therefore have to clear that width, in effect partially or totally offsetting the drop in seat height. Something to keep in mind....

Even so, when I tell you the difference in comfort is night and day, I mean NIGHT AND DAY. A dramatic difference indeed! I will never ride on the stock seat again, that's for sure. I will be submitting this piece next week. Hopefully they will publish soon.

-MKL

I agree totally that comfort is a function of seat surface area. I also agree that this increased surface area comes at the expense of the ability to get your feet planted.

I bought a Corbin for my 96 RT the first year of ownership. I transformed the bike from a 400 mile/day ride to virtually an unlimited # of miles per day. I had to drop the seat from medium setting to low to achieve the same level of stability and function at a stop. Still have the bike and the seat today. Love them both. I imagine most after market seats accomplish the same thing the same way. Corbin costs more than others. Can't say if there is any way to determine a cost/benefit across brands.

One thing I can say does not correlate to comfort is depth of padding. Many well cushioned seats are torture. My Corbin is very hard, yet comfortable. Very counter intuitive.

Red

Corbin's are horrible. Heavy, don't last and HORRIBLE customer service. Just my opinion.

Tom

Over three years on mine and 50k+ miles,....how long are they supposed to last?

Corbin's are horrible. Heavy, don't last and HORRIBLE customer service. Just my opinion.

Tom

They should last longer than the year and a half that it took for the seams to start coming apart which is what happened on my Corbin. Of course it was also very heavy and never fit quite right on the bike either but that's to be expected with a Corbin.

Not tryimg to defend Corbin but I've their seats on an R90/6 as part of a rebuild, 2 oilhead RS, and an S, and ducati 900ss, 907ie. ST2, and a ST3 and have never had a seam part or a bad fit. And they were all orders of magnitude more comfortable than the OEM seat. however, that being said, I'm still in a state of paralysis by analysis as to what seat to put on my RT.

No experience of Corbin at all, but changed the OEM seats on my 2006 RT a couple of years ago.

In the process, I 'tried' (sat on at a dealer's) the BMW comfort, single piece seat.

I knew within seconds of getting on the stationary bike, that it wasn't for me.

It isn't height adjustable, and is a good bit lower than the stock seat.

The angle of bend in my knees once I was on it was enough to convince me to discount it.

Obviously YMMV, but if you can get to sit on, or ride, a bike with one fitted, I'd suggest you do so.

In the end we settled on the Kahedo seats from Touratech, not least because they had an option to

try their seat before purchase, by visiting their premises.

Interesting about Corbin. I have had several Corbin seats through the years. About 20 years ago put a Corbin Gun Fighter on my R90S. Still have it and love it. Also have a similar sat on my R60/5 that I am restoring. Again a great fit. Having said that, had a Corbin on my 2005 RT and never could get it to fit right. Two out of three. I would love to try the Corbin before I buy it. I was hoping they had one in stock in Florida because they are only about 350 miles from me. Would be worth the ride to try one and if it felt good could buy it on the spot.

I like Corbins too and traded a buddy a Sargent for a one piece low Corbin. It's nice but with a 29-30" inseam it is too low for me (old knees) so I went back to the standard Sargent (on tip-toes but I'm used to GS's so no biggy).

It fits an 05 so dont know about a newer RT but Im in Jax if you want to try it, be happy to sell it too (just don't want to ship, yeah its heavy) : )

I've had seats from most of the seat makers and always come back to Corbin. Despite all the bad press about customer service, I think their seats are the best all around. They are firm - which I like - and heavy - but so what. They also provide excellent comfort for all day riding and the seat pans fit perfectly. As to your specific question, I had a Corbin low seat on my 2012 standard height RT and it was perfect. By removing the standard 2 piece seat hardware, the bike was dropped about 1" without any changes to the suspension. Strong +1 from me.

My corbins have all been regular height, but otherwise, I agree wholeheartedly.

Tom

Longer than 7 months. Ripped at the front seam. They wanted $117 to repair it. I don't think so scooter.

Paul In Australia

Tom

Longer than 7 months. Ripped at the front seam. They wanted $117 to repair it. I don't think so scooter.

Looks like you seem to have had an isolated case by the number of happy customers. bad luck.

Better luck with the next seat.

have a Great Christmas.

Nathan Margolis

I have a '13 RT with a Corbin and prior to this an '02 RT with Corbin. Have a '04 R1100S w/Corbin. Both of the older BMWs were purchased used with Corbins.

Know all butts are created different, but the '02 Corbin was extremely hard but the mitigating factor was the backrest insert.

After picking up the '13 RT, it was in my mind that was the last Corbin because of the hardness and lots of negative press about the hardness.

However, did really like the backrest set up and saw a great price on a used Corbin for the '13 ($300 for both) and purchased. To my shock, the newer Corbin seat is day and night better than the older Corbins. Don't need the AirHawk for 250 mile days. They are a great looking seat and comfortable.

My only regret is not looking for a heated Corbin as I did try out the factory heated seat down here in Houston last weekend when in the 30s all day. Heat is excellent and wished the Corbin was heated.

You mentioned lowered seat. I know that Corbin reworks seats to their specs. Sargent, Rick Mayer, and Russell are nice but the last two look listed look like hell in my opinion. Don't know if you are going used or new, but extremely pleased with Corbin for the money on a new RT.

Nathan Margolis

'13 RT

'04 S

'73 Triumph Tiger

My corbins have all been regular height, but otherwise, I agree wholeheartedly.

One for my oilhead, one for my hexhead, one for my camhead. The latest one is definitely lighter than earlier ones. All well-made and comfy-firm. Best thing I can say is that while riding I never think about the saddle (except with the heat on on a 25F morning -- ahh).

Archived