IGNORED

Keys and paintwork of bars

Over

Hello,

So my new 2013 RT has about 800 miles on it now, and I have noticed that the paint on the handlebars has become a little scratched from my keys !

I don't have a huge bunch of keys like a jailer, the key fob contains the bike key (obviously) the alarm remote, and a dog tag with my phone number on (has a rubber bumper).

It mist be the wind that causes the keys to flap around, and as its at a high vibration this has led to surface scratches.

Has anyone else noticed this, and what sort of thing can be done to stop (today is an elastic band to keep them all together).

Don't want leather but was considering a small key pouch in neoprene or even a wrist sweat band to keep them all soft and cosy (no good in the rain).

Any ideas ?

Yes, that's a pretty common issue... with all bikes. :grin:

My dealer gave me a small fake leather pouch. It may not be the most stylish thing in existence, but does its work well and it was FREE!

I cringe when I see a big pile of keys flopping around a set of handlebars. Key and key alone in the ignition for me. Somebody mentioned something like obsessive compulsive - anal retentive - attention deficit somethin' and somethin' else but, I stopped listening. :grin:

Pat

I use either some 3M clear film or, in a pinch, a piece of packaging tape that I trim off in the trapezoid shape of that metal spot that gets scratched.

Morning Over

As mentioned a stack of keys will leave a mark.

A single key with a tightly attached FOB is probably best to eliminate any damage but if you must ride around with a stack of things on your key chain then for about $11.00 A&S BMW motorcycles sells a carbon fiber (fake though) bar cover that doeas work somewhat.

http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=43637

80061.jpg

I'm almost embarrassed to say that I just use a couple of strips of black electrical tape around the lock. Works great - looks ugly. But I like the clear packing tape idea.

I've got the RT key, a Givi case key, my house key and a Mobil gas SpeedPass on one of those colorful plastic springy things you can slip on your wrist (I don't) I've wondered about interference between the SpeedPass transponder and the bike's pickup ring around the lock, but haven't seen any problem yet.

On cars it is a bad idea to have lots of keys and stuff hanging from your ignition but on the RT the weight is carried on top of the triple tree.

pete

Archived