IGNORED

Adding a Small Luggage Compartment

I have a friend who recently bought a Yamaha Tenerè 1200.

Last time I saw his bike he had added a small aluminum "box" on the R/H side of the bike (opposite the exhaust). It doesn't interfere with side cases and he uses to store such "never know when they'll come in hand" as jumper cables, tyre repair kit etc.

If I remember correctly it's the Raid Toolbox . It reminded me a lot of the box my old Honda trail bike had to store the tool kit. :)

It struck me as a great idea to carry around things you may need on a long trip without taking away precious luggage capacity.

I also understand making one for an RT (any series) may be technically challenging, as space behind the luggage is scarce to say the least and there aren't many mounting points.

Any idea if it could be done? In alternative what can be used without taking away precious luggage space?

Thanks!

Space on an RT to mount something will be tough.

Perhaps using the passenger peg points but then you lose that functionality.

Not a surplus of exposed frame or space.

There is an equivalent device for what you showed - for the GS Adventure and there are many similar for other bikes that mount in various locations such as across the frame down tubes low.

But then there is the obvious question- do you really really need to pack more than you can fit on an RT? I can travel "permanently" with a good tool set and a few spares with what I can put on mine.

Pelicase do a small box (1120) that can be bolted to the licence plate mount and the licence plate itself is then bolted to the lid of the case

Afternoon Kakugo

There are places to mount small stash tubes or little boxes on the 1200RT but there really should be no need to.

Lots of room way back up in the tail around the taillight area (I can get a lot of little used stuff in that area) .

There is room under the seat above the battery (I carry a curled up 30' tow strap there.

There is more room under seat in the rear upper shock attachment area (I carry a full set of motorcycle jumper cables curled up in a plastic bag there).

Moving a little farther back along the frame rails under the rear seat is room for a tire repair kit on one side & a small electric air pump on the other.

With no radio there is lots of room in the covered radio box area.

Then on the other side (around the fuel pump pass through area) is room under the upper tupperware to store some other little used junk like spare FPC & curled up FPC jumper harness in waterproof bags & zip tied in place.

I even find additional room for a small volt/ohm meter under the seat in a double plastic bag as well a spare headlight bulbs w-a-y back in the tail on each side of the tail light housing.

Probably lots more little spaces if you look hard enough, like zip tying things to the structure under the front cowl or above the air intake tube.

Pelicase do a small box (1120) that can be bolted to the licence plate mount and the licence plate itself is then bolted to the lid of the case

Is this what you refer to? Doesn't seem too different from a regular crush proof case.

Hein Gericke used to sell a case that fit exactly behind our large European license plates. I would have got that had the product not disappeared from their catalog since it was more or less what I wanted.

DR, my RT is almost crammed full of stuff to the bursting point. Radio compartment is jammed with rags, a Gerber tool, some vital spares, torchlight, USB charger etc.

I put a small bag in the tail and spare light bulbs reside there, together with disposable alcohol test kits (thank the French for that...).

Then there are a few extra tools packed under the saddle...

In short I would need the extra room to fit a small first aid kit (which normally resides in the tank bag), a Slime tyre repair kit and compressor and the XP1 starter I intend to buy. Oh and the Gedore-made BMW tool kit if I ever find one for sale. :grin:

I have a friend who recently bought a Yamaha Tenerè 1200.

Last time I saw his bike he had added a small aluminum "box" on the R/H side of the bike (opposite the exhaust). It doesn't interfere with side cases and he uses to store such "never know when they'll come in hand" as jumper cables, tyre repair kit etc.

If I remember correctly it's the Raid Toolbox . It reminded me a lot of the box my old Honda trail bike had to store the tool kit. :)

It struck me as a great idea to carry around things you may need on a long trip without taking away precious luggage capacity.

I also understand making one for an RT (any series) may be technically challenging, as space behind the luggage is scarce to say the least and there aren't many mounting points.

Any idea if it could be done? In alternative what can be used without taking away precious luggage space?

Thanks!

+1

Kakugo, you have no idea how many times I have thought about this :)

Someone on this board posted an article about removing and emptying the evap charcoal canister and converting it to tool storage. It mine ever clogs up, I'll probably do the same.

Someone on this board posted an article about removing and emptying the evap charcoal canister and converting it to tool storage. It mine ever clogs up, I'll probably do the same.

Nice idea, but European bikes haven't got them. :)

Last summer I saw an RT1200 that had something like a pelican case midified and mounted to the front forks just below the tupperware. It wasn't big at all, but it was big enough to hold a tire repair kit, some tools, and needed paperwork...and it was waterproof to boot.

I am looking for something similar now, and will be doing the same thing as soon as I find a box.

I have the "behind the plate" storage, it's great for insurance and registration, but not for much else.

Dan

There is room under the right side pannier for a mock silencer / tool tube, of course the tricky part is what to use (a recycled can?) and how to mount it.

There is room under the right side pannier for a mock silencer / tool tube, of course the tricky part is what to use (a recycled can?) and how to mount it.

That's actually a very good idea, the main problem being where to hook it up.

I have toyed with the idea of fitting a small waterproof box behind the rear fender (plenty of room and no wheel clearance issues) but the problem is how to hook it up considering I'd like to keep drilling to a minimum and that the box should be intact to keep what's inside dry.

This is actually a nice "backburner" project... I have a couple more ideas whose feasibility I need to investigate. :grin:

Evening Kakugo

John Deere sells a users manual tube that has a screw top with "O" ring sealing. They have one small breather hole & once you seal that the thing is really water proof.

I have used them for tool kits on dirt bikes & off road vehicles.

The tubes have 2 feet that can be mounted to about anything (like bottom of pannier).

If it is something that you might be interested in I have a couple out in my shop that I could measure the dimensions for you.

Those yellow marking come right off with a little paint thinner

JohnDeereTube_zpsba27ab16.jpg

And a small black self tapper through the cap threads into the body makes it fairly tamper proof

Finding space for one on a 1200RT is a challenge though ...... would like to see a photo of a successful fit that is reasonably elegant

Evening Kakugo

John Deere sells a users manual tube that has a screw top with "O" ring sealing. They have one small breather hole & once you seal that the thing is really water proof.

I have used them for tool kits on dirt bikes & off road vehicles.

The tubes have 2 feet that can be mounted to about anything (like bottom of pannier).

If it is something that you might be interested in I have a couple out in my shop that I could measure the dimensions for you.

Those yellow marking come right off with a little paint thinner

JohnDeereTube_zpsba27ab16.jpg

Hi DR. Yes, I'd like to know the dimensions, thank you very much. :grin:

I have an idea of how much space i need and I can tell immediately if it will work or not.

PS: merry Christmas to the lot of you.

Morning Kakugo

If this thing will work for you these tubes have a John Deere part number. Unfortunately the 2 I have are not marked with any numbers. I will see what I can find as far as part number goes as J.D. has a few different designs of these tubes.

If I remember correctly they ran about $15.00-$18.00 US. They do show up on E-Bay occasionally.

JohnDeereTube_meas_zps4a003ff9.jpg

Thanks a lot DR. It's perhaps a tad smaller than I need but I'll do some extra math and see if I can squeeze at least the tyre repair kit and jump starter in there. It would be a huge help already

Being a John Deere item is a big bonus as they are the most widespread tractors here, so plenty of dealers to choose from.

Thanks again and merry Christmas.

Afternoon Kakugo

Put "tool Tube" in E-Bay, some to choose from there, even one listed as sold from Germany. Just watch the sizes & styles as they are not all the same.

Added: inside diameter of tube is 85.87mm so you can judge how that will work with what you have to add.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Kakugo

Blast and damnation... :eek:

I did some measurements and it seems the John Deere tool tube won't be enough to house both the tyre repair kit and the first aid kit.

Back to the drawing board...

Archived