IGNORED

HID Kit; R1150RT

cris nitro

The other day I was at Cycle Gear buying misc stuff and bit on a 1/2 price sale on an HID kit. I got the one for "H4". Tt is 6000K, 35 watt. I want to make sure it will work for my bike, if not, I am taking it back. I don't have the box in front of me and can't remember the mnf.

The bulb housing itself has a shield around it blocking 1/2 of the bulb. Is this correct?.

Does the bulb go in place of the high beam? Or low beam?

Sorry for the dumb questions, but I want to make sure this kit will work for my bike before I start taking off plastic and diving in. Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks,

Cris

I believe the 1150RT uses an H7 headlight bulb. The H4 was used on the 1100RT. 6000K is probably alright, but it's gonna be a little in the bluish spectrum, which might give cause to a LEO if he's got nothing better to do. The correct bulb would be a 4300K, which is about as close to white as you're gonna get.

Thanks guys. Now I feel dumber. Glad I asked. I see lots of HID kits out there, are they all pretty similar, provided I get one in the 4300K range? Oh yeah, H7.

How about the wattage, 35W, higher? Should I be doing this for the high beam?

Sorry, but electrical is my weakness, scary stuff.

35W is fine. Sometimes you can not find the exact "color" you want form a particular vendor. I ran a 5000 for many years without problem from law enforcement. 5000 is very white, but without any hint of blue.

Keep in mind that there can be some variations in color from one manufacturer to another even though they are both stating the same number.

Thanks guys. Now I feel dumber. Glad I asked. I see lots of HID kits out there, are they all pretty similar, provided I get one in the 4300K range? Oh yeah, H7.

Many here, including me, have had good luck with DDM Tuning kits.

newlightsfw.png

Dream,

I checked out their site and although there was a kit that seemed appropriate, what about any required options. Can you supply any addional support in preparation for ordering and installing on my 2013 RT

Thanks,

Bill

Dream,

I checked out their site and although there was a kit that seemed appropriate, what about any required options. Can you supply any addional support in preparation for ordering and installing on my 2013 RT

Thanks,

Bill

Order the bulbs that you need for your bike, I ordered the dual bulb kit in 4300k color and 35 watt power. The 4300k is the white light and not the bluer of the higher k's.

The kit comes with everything you need and is simple enough. You just pop your old bulbs out, drill the cover 1", install new bulbs. You may need to wiretap the power in but that's easy enough. I removed the speakers from the pods and placed the ballast in the pod locations.

Shipping may take some time, kit is coming from China.

Here's some answers as well.

There are a lot of good kits out there, and some really cheap crap. too. Given the importance of not only the light, but of not having it fail when you need it most, I've opted for quality over price. My personal choice (on two RT's so far) has been the Xetronic brand. Made in Japan. About $150 - $200 for a dual kit. You can also find some good stuff from Osram, Hella, Philips and other name brands, in the $150 to $200 range. The Xetronic I installed in my first RT back in 2004 is still going strong (original bulb) two owners and 10 years later.

As for the Kelvin rating of the light (the "K" after the number, as in 4300K), between 4000K and 5000K is fine. Below that lights tend to get a little yellowish and above that bluish.

Depends.

Some do both.

Many do just low or high beams.

Do you flash your high beam?

That may be a factor.

I'm still stock wrt headlights but if/when I do

it I'll only do low beam.

Your light will probably be bluish which is not good for spotting mule deer. 35 watt is fine since the bulb puts out much more light than a halogen. Your bulb sounds like a low beam with blocking half the light. Quite frankly on my RT I always found the OEM high beam adequate but wished for more low beam. The main consideration I had when installing was not to interfere with the steering EVER. That is why I used 3 methods of fastening everything under the plastic and double fastening everything outside where possible. I now have over 110,000 miles on the bike and have been very happy with the extra light. By the way I also put on 4 halogens pointing 25 degrees off at the sides of the road, 2 to a side. Everyone seems to like it when I lead night rides.

Dream,

Thanks,

Bill

Order the bulbs that you need for your bike, I ordered the dual bulb kit in 4300k color and 35 watt power. The 4300k is the white light and not the bluer of the higher k's.

The kit comes with everything you need and is simple enough. You just pop your old bulbs out, drill the cover 1", install new bulbs. You may need to wiretap the power in but that's easy enough. I removed the speakers from the pods and placed the ballast in the pod locations.

Shipping may take some time, kit is coming from China.

Here's some answers as well.

Thanks, that's the thread I was looking for.

As noted, 4300 - 5k is best. I stayed with the 4300 because it seems that the bluer the light, the less you can see if there is moisture in the air.

WRT the shield on the bulb: the shield causes the light to shine onto the upper part of the reflector only, so the light is directed down toward the road. The high beam uses the lower part of the reflector to direct the light farther down the road, and if there is no shield, the upper part of the reflector also.

Many of us who convert, if we have a choice, do the low beam, and leave the high beam alone. Since my RS has only one bulb, I installed a bi-xenon bulb (with a moveable shield that directs the light to the low beam reflector normally, and an electromagnet that moves the shield to expose the other reflector for high beam) I find the low beam is quite adequate most of the time. I converted only the low beam on my RT.

It's my understanding that most go with the low beam as the HID takes a few moments to warm up, thus tapping your high beams to pass or just flipping from low to high has a slight delay in brightmess.

I could be wrong tho'

Tom

Archived