IGNORED

New Car: What percentage off?

Kathy R

Yea Steve, congratulations. I surely want to see a photo of that car. Post away!

Kathy:

There are a number of sources that can give you the "dealer cost" and best deals as noted in previous discussions. You can go in armed with that info, but there are some other important .....

Mike Cassidy

Kathy, having bought many, many new cars with and without trade ins, this is the correct approach.

Don't think of percentage off MSRP. Think dealer cost "plus" some percentage profit. I can't give the percentage amount because "cost" is an elusive number. While you can find dealer cost on sites like edmunds.com. , edmunds is not as forthcoming with information about dealer kickbacks from the factory (called holdback) as they used to be.

Thanks for all of your good information! I paid $14 for the Consumer Reports Car Pricing Service report on the car the way I want it finished. Along with the "price up" calculations it provides a quite a bit of useful information. I've got my price. The Dealer has been in touch again and I'm waiting to see what the end of the month brings.

I am not trading my present car in, because I can currently sell it for more than I bought it for four years ago. Without trying I have two folks waiting to buy it.

I appreciate everyone's help here. I feel comfortable with my price on the new car. What is bothering me is the dealer I am talking to has a bad reputation for service. If they had a better reputation I wouldn't be focused solely on price. But since they have little to offer beyond price that is all that matters in this transaction. I have a couple of very good Volvo mechanics in my town, so I'm comfortable that going forward I'll keep it on the road for 8 to 10, or more, years.

I am really looking forward to those active xenon headlights. It will be nice to go back to feeling confident on the road at night.

Hi Kathy,

Good luck with your new car luv, we hope you have many safe and happy miles in it.

We just ordered our Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland.

In the end, for the build that we wanted, we received 5.5 percent under invoice from the dealer in Houston :thumbsup:. No ups and extras, just tax title and licence on top of the build price.

And, just after we did the transaction, he then informed me that Chrysler has 0 percent financing for 36months available and we should talk to his F&I guy when we get there!

I believe I've died on gone to car buyers heaven LOL!

He beat our local dealers lowest out the door price by almost $3k.

Darn, don't you just love the Internet :clap: !!!

I seriously considered that one, Phil. NICE. I would love to see a photo of it when it arrives. Nice that you managed to stay in TX.

So far, it's been a one way street where they "tell me their best price", along with subsequent further reductions in said price. I have never told the dealers what I was willing to pay, but now is the time. I'll contact a number of dealers, give them all the same shot and see what happens.

Hi Kathy,

Good luck with your new car luv, we hope you have many safe and happy miles in it.

In the end, for the build that we wanted, we received 5.5 percent under invoice from the dealer in Houston :thumbsup:. No ups and extras, just tax title and licence on top of the build price.

And, just after we did the transaction, he then informed me that Chrysler has 0 percent financing for 36months available and we should talk to his F&I guy when we get there!

I believe I've died on gone to car buyers heaven LOL!

He beat our local dealers lowest out the door price by almost $3k.

Darn, don't you just love the Internet :clap: !!!

You did good...like the Jeep as well. Car and Driver has a bunch of YouTube videos taken at Jackson Hole (sponsored by Jeep of course) that compares the Jeep to competitors. Like their new diesel option, if you're doing any light towing the diesel makes a lot of sense. Always dread the discussion with the Finance person, we usually have a terse discussion about the dealer prep fee and unless they offer a really great deal on extended warranty then that doesn't go very well either.

Kathy, continued good luck on your hunt, it's a exhausting process to be sure.

Picked our 2014 Jeep GC Overland up 2 weeks ago. Really like it. Probably didn't get as good a deal as you did though. :S

Takes quite awhile to learn what how all the features work!!!

Stan

Howdy Stan :wave:

Many safe and happy miles in your new Jeep mate :thumbsup: .

Yeah. I downloaded the manual for it last week and it appears you need a degree in computer programming to own one LOL!

In the end, we opted for the Diesel engine with the Advanced Tech Group and the Off Road Adventure package.

Gonna be White (what other colour is there?) with the Nepal brown interior. We actually sold Deb's Subaru today....one of our friends bought it as they needed a car right away.

Down to one car and one bike now...they said the GC will take 6 to 8 weeks. I hope its sooner......

Gonna be White (what other colour is there?)

Well there is "Cashmere Pearl" with the Nepal brown.....

We went with the V6 gas and the Advanced Tech package on a 4x4 Overland. That of course includes the Quadra-Trac II, Select-Terrain, and Quadra-Lift Air Suspension as standard features. I figure if I can't get there with that set up, I don't need to go there anyway!!! I passed on the diesel as we don't do that much towing and the pay back on cost seemed excessive considering how few miles we drive per year now that we are retired.

Guess we steered this topic off road..... sorry... I'll try to be better!! :)

Stan

Guess we steered this topic off road..... sorry... I'll try to be better!! :)

Not a problem. I wish the Grand Cherokee had worked out for my needs. I loved that 8 speed transmission and the back seat was wonderfully deep for the dog. Ultimately, it was just too tall a vehicle for said dog and dear old Dad. I'll admit that, in the short run, there was nothing simple about using all those buttons and visuals on the screen.

Kathy ,

have been following your post and would suggest you buy what you like the most!

I have just purchased in the last month a new Holden Colorado LTZ {replacing 2010 Subaru Forester} and a new Audi A6 {replacing 2012 A6}.

Purchase factors were in relation to Audi great dealer and good change over price , happy with Audi product.

Holden factors were great dealer and good change over price .Subaru unfortunately don't make equivalent vehicle to Colorado . Very happy with Subaru product and very happy with dealer.

Only suggestion I can make is to not be too hung up on "msrp" etc and "best price" as I feel that things like quality of dealer and supporting a dealer that supports you are important. Warranty not much value if crap dealer and poor service , just delivers aggravation you don't need.

I think most modern brands are all at a reasonable level of quality and reliability and factors such as service and warranty are important.

We change our vehicles before warranty expires but with our Audi's have never had any issues , same with Subaru.

Mind you my RT has only had scheduled services , tyres and batteries , I can't fault it , no PTTR or throttle sync problems or surging etc etc . After reading some of the problems some have had on this site I feel a bit deprived! I have a great BMW dealer from original purchase and all services , they pick it up and return for services.

So if you find the vehicle that suits and you like it , from a dealer that will provide the service level that you demand the bottom line is the change over price {whether that includes a trade in or no trade in} , just how much is the cheque you need to give them to what you want sitting on your driveway , it needs to be kept that simple.

Stan ,

I hope I am not steering too much off topic as well but your comment " I passed on the diesel as we don't do that much towing and the payback on cost seemed excessive considering how few miles we drive" makes me ask two questions

firstly , what is the price difference between the diesel and petrol in purchase price of vehicle?

secondly is diesel dearer than petrol as a fuel?

other than lawnmowers , chainsaws etc {and the RT} every vehicle we own now is a diesel and a major factor in all the decisions has been the performance of the modern diesel.

We do lots of driving consistently in the 110 to 120 kmph range and prefer the overtaking ability of the modern diesel. Before our switch to Audi and diesels we had used Holden as our primary vehicles mainly 5.7 and 6 litre Chevrolet powered Statesmans and Caprice and when the "chances" arrive the extra performance of the diesels is a real pleasure.

firstly , what is the price difference between the diesel and petrol in purchase price of vehicle?

$4500.00 US dollars.

as of 1/20/14:

Regular gas $3.59

Diesel $4.05

On the Jeep Grand Cherokee (2 wheel drive) the Diesel gets 30 mpg on the highway vs. gas getting only 25 mpg.

That works out to be $0.135 per mile for Diesel

and $0.144 for gasoline. Or makes diesel $0.009 per mile cheaper.

To recover $4500.00 would take 500,000 miles at todays prices. At an estimated mileage of 10,000 miles per year that would take 50 years.

Another consideration, how likely am I to be still driving at 120 years of age?

Stan

Your assessment is missing a key factor, what is difference between the used value of petrol and diesel versions? a lot of the payback comes from that delta.

Andy

$4500.00 US dollars.

as of 1/20/14:

Regular gas $3.59

Diesel $4.05

On the Jeep Grand Cherokee (2 wheel drive) the Diesel gets 30 mpg on the highway vs. gas getting only 25 mpg.

That works out to be $0.135 per mile for Diesel

and $0.144 for gasoline. Or makes diesel $0.009 per mile cheaper.

To recover $4500.00 would take 500,000 miles at todays prices. At an estimated mileage of 10,000 miles per year that would take 50 years.

Another consideration, how likely am I to be still driving at 120 years of age?

Stan

Good question, Andy. Someone with more gumption than I would have to look at the numbers, but diesels are still lagging in popularity here, largely as a result of some less than whole-hearted attempts by out domestic carmakers a couple of decades ago. They got a bad rap then, and it's only recently that the tide has begun to turn.

My impression is that, in cars, you don't generally see hugely better resale down the road here ( This article cites a 4% better resale value ). In heavy duty pickup trucks, it's a different story.

Kathy ,

have been following your post and would suggest you buy what you like the most!

Every time I do that I end up with a 2 seat convertible and a Valentine One install. :grin:

Congratulations on your new car, Gary!

Only suggestion I can make is to not be too hung up on "msrp" etc and "best price" as I feel that things like quality of dealer and supporting a dealer that supports you are important. Warranty not much value if crap dealer and poor service , just delivers aggravation you don't need.

Unfortunately, the closest dealer has a bad reputation for service after the sale. And the next two closest dealers aren't much better. Honestly, if I had met a good salesperson and read, and heard, good reviews about service managers I would have bought a car last fall. As it is, I've met sales people who impede the sale. Maddening.

I did look at the diesel option when I was considering the Jeep Grand Cherokee, but decided to forget it when I looked at the numbers, as Stan looked at them. I'm going to keep this next car for 8 + years and I'm not terribly concerned about resale value. In a perfect world I'd have met a good Volvo salesperson who works for a dealership with a good service department, and despite the cars weight it'd get 30 mpg ;) Those 3 things are the rub and they are the reason I'm focused on pricing.

Shame on these salespeople. Believe me, I considered getting into that game simply because I knew I could sell circles around my competition. It's not hard to do it right and well, but still so many people in sales do it wrong. Pity.

Wow, even administrators help hijack Kathy's thread....

just kidding...I'm a big diesel supporter as well.

Did you see what I did to David's AIRSTREAM thread :D

And I gave my blessing earlier for this thread to proceed where the conversations took it. This OP is a tangent taker. ;)

what is difference between the used value of petrol and diesel versions? a lot of the payback comes from that delta.

Not to relevant in my case, I tend to keep cars until they dissolve into a pile of rust........ I'm still driving my 1992 Ford F150 pickup (22 years old, 125K miles, runs fine, needs a paint job). Hopefully the Jeep GC will be another keeper.

Stan

We tend to buy what we BOTH really like and then keep them a long while as well, at least 10 years. Deb's Subaru was 9 years old but we were looking for a vehicle that could go more off-road and give us the ability to tow a travel trailer.

We both like diesel motors and we REALLY liked the Jeep GC, so it is perfect for us. In the UK, our Kia Optima comes standard with a 1.7L Diesel CRD motor. It gets 29city 42hwy and 37mixed (in US Gallons!) - wished we had it here :( !

• 3 weeks later...

I want to thank you all again. I've ordered a 2015 XC70T6. It will be here in April. Got it for MSRP less 6%. Black Sapphire Metallic with black leather and some farkles.

It will look something like this:

i-8GJqVmR-M.png

i-cPHqc8N-M.png

Sweet! I think you made Nigel's day! :)

I don't know, Bob. He is emotionally attached to his mobile dog house (the Mighty Buick). When I told Dad he asked me one question,: "What color?" The outside color is his choice and the inside is to match Nigel :grin: I'm very excited to have both heated seats and a perfect in and out height for Dad.

beautiful vehicle Kathy and nice color choice! My Accord is Crystal Black Pearl Metallic with a Black interior. The wife's Pilot is the same exterior with a Stone Gray interior.

Here are a few photos:

image-M.jpg

image-M.jpg

image-M.jpg

image-M.jpg

image-M.jpg

image-M.jpg

Sweet! I think you made Nigel's day! :)

I don't know, Bob. He is emotionally attached to his mobile dog house (the Mighty Buick). When I told Dad he asked me one question,: "What color?" The outside color is his choice and the inside is to match Nigel :grin: I'm very excited to have both heated seats and a perfect in and out height for Dad.

I am sure that once Nigel lays on one of those seats with the heat on, he will soon forget..... that is if you let him or will he always be relegated to the wagon back?

He's welcome to any area behind the front seats, including the non heated back seat and the back of the wagon. I'm hoping he likes the fact that he has that new option.

Alas, he won't be able to lay on the floor of the XC's back seat due to the center seat console and the high tranny hump. On long trips he often drops to the back seat floor in the Buick, where I can drape my hand down and pet him as we move along.

i-PTNjvZn-L.jpg

Shaolin Master Sergeant

I recently bought a Chevy Volt. It had a sticker of around $40k. My wife knew about all the incentives and tax breaks for an electric vehicle. It would cost us $23.5k after all the discounts and tax breaks are factored in. It's a very nice car. Nice thing is that ownership costs are are very low. I've spent about $60 in gas a month and about $17 in electricity to use the car as a daily driver (600 miles weekly). The Volt has one of the highest owner satisfaction ratings. Since it has a gasoline powered range extender, you get 340 miles of range on a full tank of gas and a full charge.

I gave up all that practical stuff - went for emotion (which ought to resonate with everyone who rides BMWs :grin:). Got my wife a Volvo C70 in red (no better color for a convertible) with cream leather interior. Gets reasonably lousy gas mileage (low 20s) but it's safe as a truck and off the charts on the fun meter. Snuck it in the garage last night, put a bow on it and she woke me up this morning and didn't mention the mileage or the lack of two rear doors or anything practical like that :clap:

First time in 20 years we don't have 2 or more kids needing a station wagon or minivan. No more mommie-van for her.

• 3 weeks later...

May 1st will be here soon, Steve. Can't wait to hear how your new car suits you.

Mine is visiting Liverpool today, picking up Mini's. There better be no hanky panky on the Atlantic crossing.

I'm doing the same tracking with our Jeep Grand Cherokee, although not quite as romantic as Kathy's shipboard journey though :) !

I obtained the railcar number from a source on www.jeepgarage.org, which I joined a couple of months back. This is a great website for Jeeps and is remarkably like BMWST, with some great info and helpful folks there. I then discovered how to contact the railroad(s) using touch tone tracking. So I started tracking the railcar from CSX Detroit, through Norfolk Southern and finally Union Pacific, down to the dealer in Texas. We should have the Jeep home by now but for the railcar getting "Bad ordered" at the siding in Detroit, this means it had a mechanical issue that prevented the railcar from moving. It got fixed but then the series of big storms hit and so it got stuck in the rail yards for a few days.

The good news is that it is now on its way down to Texas via Union Pacific and is currently in Southern Arkansas as I write this. It is scheduled to be at the terminal on the 13th and delivered to the dealer on the 14th. So, we are aiming to pick it up from the dealer on the 18th, giving them time to prep it and instal a clear bra on it.

So far the buying experience (all done on the Internet and phone) has been very, very easy. If anyone is looking for a Jeep, send me a PM and I will give you the info on the 5.5 percent off invoice deal and the contact at the dealership.

The icing on the cake was receiving a $500 new buyer coupon from Chrysler/Jeep last Thursday. This nice surprise paid for the clear bra installation :)!

Now all I have to do is get online and obtain the 3yr/36mo Zero percent financing and Deb and I will be VERY happy campers indeed.

It's almost planes, trains and automobiles, Phil!

Thanks for that link Ausflug. I'm playing with it. Nice to see the photo of the ship!

I'd understood that normally the Atlantic Conveyor stops in Southampton, England for Mini's. Then when I saw it pass that location I thought it was coming straight from Gothenburg, Sweden. And to my surprise hours later it appeared in Liverpool, where it's been most of the day?

i-5rkR8dL-XL.png

Kathy - Another tracking tool:

http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/

I'll be ship-watching soon, too. We have a new car coming next month, but from Germany.

Congrats on your soon-to-be new car.

My bucket list includes European Delivery of a BMW (hopefully M3). I've ordered 4 new ones over the years and just never had the time due to job or grandchild responsibilities but next year looks promising. Kathy, doesn't Volvo offer a similar program (not that you would want an even colder winter vacation than your current harsh winter)? I can understand not doing it, pay for a car and then get a teaser of a few days and then wait for what seems like forever until the shipped car is available to you again. Just watched World Rally Car competition from Sweden, who knows maybe one of the cars was your new one getting a check out run.

Hey Kathy,

It stopped in Liverpool as that is where they make the Land Rover Evoque, so they are probably loading export models to U.S. :thumbsup:

Oh mickeym3, I have always liked the M3's. (drool) Yes, Volvo has the fly over and drive it around plan, but I can't leave my Dad for that long right now. And you hit the nail on the head; Sweden in the winter? We are expecting a winter storm here on Wednesday. I promise not to complain about heat this summer.

That explains it Phil. I read somewhere that the Atlantic Conveyor handles Vovlo and BMW, but can imagine they want to fill it up however they can. I think this ship has one more stop before it arrives in NYC, on it's way to Baltimore. I'm expecting a photo of your Jeep soon!

SteveHebert

The icing on the cake was receiving a $500 new buyer coupon from Chrysler/Jeep last Thursday. This nice surprise paid for the clear bra installation :)!

I like the clear bra option. Leaves all the guess work out :)

Stan Walker

I like the clear bra option. Leaves all the guess work out

I must be getting old..... it took several seconds before I grinned ear to ear!!!

Stan

My first reaction was confusion - I distinctly remember the Atlantic Conveyor being sunk by an Exocet missile during the Falklands war in 1982...

Andy

Last evening it finally got underway from Liverpool and is now on the Irish Sea, looking something like this...

i-Qf2FxkR-L.png

Chugging along at 16.2 knots

i-HSnLQWM-L.png

Archived