IGNORED

2013 RT rear bag

kgerry

i don't want to buy the hard top box but there are times when i need a bit more room, like I buy something but both my panniers are stuffed... i am thinking of a soft/roll up bag that i can stuff in one of my panniers and then pull out and bungie to the rack only when needed.... anyone familiar with something like that? i have seen soft tail bags online but they dont seem like they would flatten down or roll up to nothing for storage...

Afternoon kgerry

I have a couple of dry sacks & soft bags but find them really lacking for any sort of hardware or odd shaped hard items. Problem is: those soft bags have no backbone or rigidity so you are not any better off than just strapping the object to the rear seat or luggage rack.

Those soft bags & dry bags are just great for camping gear, or laundry, or other large fluffy items but don't add much use for packages, boxes, or other non soft filling type items.

I usually carry a cargo net in all my bikes as those work pretty good for holding down smaller boxes, some grocery items, & most odd shaped objects.

For what I can't hold with the cargo net I use bungee type straps or lash straps to hold to rear seat or rear rack.

On some of my dirt bikes with no rear panniers or other carrying luggage I simply strap a plastic milk crate to the rear seat & stuff purchased stuff in the crate (actually works pretty good)

On my sport bikes with no luggage, no rear rack, & not much tie down access I usually just wear a backpack & put my purchases in that. Probably don't want to put bricks in the backpack but works great for computer type things, some food purchases, smaller difficult to restrain items.

+1 on the Dry Sack type bags. I usually carry one for the reason you suggest and should I need more room headed home from an event of destination. I can also always put some of my dirty clothes in the soft Dry Sack and then free up space in my hard bags. I don't use a Hard rear bag on the RT but use a T-bag (Universal Helmet bag) that has firm sides and holds quite a bit. Also agree REI is a good starting place as is Amazon!

I think you are aiming at something like this roll bag, as seen here on my RT:

Tourmalet_01_zps7d3d3c0e.jpg

Aubisque_01_zps5ec65bf1.jpg

I have two of them in different sizes and I affectionately call them "garbage bags"... both because of their looks and because of what I usually put in there. ;)

I found the best way to keep them in place is by using this type of bungee cord and getting creative:

Bungee-Cords-BTGA041-.jpg

Since I've switched to this type of cord, the roll bags don't move one inch. Very impressive considering how cheap these things are. :grin:

Note that my roll bags are the cheapest available. I probably paid 35€ for the both of them... but you can spend a whole lot more if you opt for something fancy like this or this .

Archived