IGNORED

Comm System

Piper-6

Big fan of the Sena system. I've had the Cardo units before but got the Sena for better audio (phone, music), longer battery life (I consistently get 10+ hours) and longer range bike-to-bike communications.

It depends on how many riders you want to talk to and what kind of range you need. My understanding is that most of the Bluetooth communicators turn out to be incompatible with other brands, so you'd better know in advance who you want to talk to and what they use.

A bunch of us here used to use FRS radios connected to Autocom units, all connected with wires on the bike. I still have mine, and I still use the other functions (audio from iPod, GPS, V1), but everybody else seems to have given up on them. FRS offers longer range and greater cross-brand compatibility than Bluetooth.

Some folks (my impression is that it's mostly Gold Wing riders) use CB radios, which give longer range than FRS, but have much more congested channels.

I picked up a dual pack of the Sena SMH10R (slim, separate battery) headsets last weekend. Installed them on Shoei GT Air helmets and they work great in the house. Hoping that Groundhog predicts an early biking season...for now all I can do is wait for the snow to disappear!

I have the J&M CB setup on the RT. Works great bike to bike for good distance. I use the Sena on my cruiser. It works well, but does not have the volume to over ride earplugs. I recommend using it in its earbud iteration. That works well, integrates well with the phone (music and calls), as well as the garmin.

I use the Sena on my cruiser. It works well, but does not have the volume to over ride earplugs. I recommend using it in its earbud iteration. That works well, integrates well with the phone (music and calls), as well as the garmin.

I've not felt there was any lack of volume with the SMH-10 while using my foam earplugs (NRR 32dB). I'm certain I keep it at least 6-7 clicks below maximum, though I did need to adjust the speakers a couple times to be sure they are centered directly opposite my ear opening. No doubt the wind protection on the RT and a quiet helmet help also.

The Sena's volume when I'm wearing ear plugs (custom molded) was why I switched from the Cardos. Plenty loud enough for me up to all legal speeds :)

The speaker placement for any system is important - it's even more critical when you're wearing ear plugs because you don't have the same range available as when you're going ear-nekkid. I have to do a fair amount of moving them around to get the "just right" placement when I switch to a new helmet.

Piper-6, I also use a CB. I have a very inexpensive CB plugged into a Sena SR-10 that is then Bluetoothed to my helmet Sena SMH-10. Works great. My CB is a Cobra handheld I got through Amazon for around $60-$70 bucks, and I use rechargeable batteries in it that lasts for months (runs independent of my RT). You will need special wire to connect CB to SR-10. Whole thing less than $400 and no worries being compatible to various helmet comms. I ride with a group and we use Channel 3 and almost never pick up any other users. Good luck!

I ride with 3 other guys who have Cardo BT comm systems and they have problems getting all 3 sync-ed at the same time (plus compatibility problems with other devices such as GPS, cell phone, iPod music, and radar detectors). Frustrating for them. I have the "old fashioned" Baehr Ultima comm system with hard wire to Icom GMRS two-way radio (and GPS, radar detector, phone, and iPod). I never have any problems communicating with the other guy in our group who has a hard wire comm system with another brand of GMRS/FRS radio. And we don't have to worry about BT battery charge or very limited and line of sight range between the radios. My old '04 RT had both GMRS and CB radios. I found myself using the GMRS radio more than the CB because the sound was much clearer. Only time I used the CB was riding solo and talking to truckers occasionally. Reliability and function are most important factors for me.

My wife and I use the Interphone F5 and enjoy ithem. They work well for music streaming, connection to phone (making & receiving calls), communication, and connection to my BMW Navigator IV. My only disappointment is the battery life about 6 hours of continuous use. We use a portable solar panel to charge the units when at the camp.

It is my understanding that the latest/newest/most expensive Sena has the capability of pairing w/other manufacturers products, and that that capability is coming to the 10 series.

When I do get a communications system, it will be Sena - I've heard too many horror stories about Cardo - though that's what my local BZMW dealer and another big bike store sells in my area.

Cardo is the parent company of Scala. Cardo makes the neck roll system for Schuberth and the BMW Comm system to BMW's specs. Doubtful Schuberth or BMW would choose Cardo to make their proprietary systems unless they knew what they were doing.

Granted, the BMW Comm system is not exactly the best thing in the world, but they set the specs on what they wanted. Cardo suggested using a modern battery pack but BMW went with the archaic pack similar to what 90's era home cordless phones use.

I and many of my riding companions have used the Scala (Cardo) G9 and earlier G4 for several years with excellent results. The G9 has also repeatedly won numerous comparisons in Rider, Motorcyclist, Motorcycle Consumer News.

The one thing about the G9 is that because it has the ability to do so many things and by voice activation, many of us "old school" riders find it hard to use and frustrating.

Enter the Scala Q3. The Q3 has many of the same features of the top G9, but it's operation is let's say more user friendly to those of is who still yell at our Cell phones. It will allow a simple bike to bike conversation without having to break the manual out every trip. You need to practice with it like any new accessory tho.

The speakers on the Q3 are not the 3 Ohm big boys the G9 has, but for those of us over 50 with hearing already shaky by years of loud music, loud cars, and shooting, you can buy the super 3 ohm speakers and plug them in as replacements . These will work with earplugs just fine.

Most modern helmets already have a pocket for speakers to fit into with the exception of several HJC helmets. For some reason, they put the pockets in a seemingly random location.

Cardo is the parent company of Scala. Cardo makes the neck roll system for Schuberth and the BMW Comm system to BMW's specs. Doubtful Schuberth or BMW would choose Cardo to make their proprietary systems unless they knew what they were doing.
Or they know enough to be good enough for a price point that satisfies BMW & Schuberth. I ran Scalas for years before upgrading to the Senas. The Scalas were fine, worked well, no real problems. The Senas are just better - easier to use (jog dial vs rubbery buttons), better volume with earplugs in, longer battery life, longer range for bike to bike.

What are your needs for the comm system. If all you want to do is talk to a passenger any of the bluetooth work fine. If you want to talk in a group of bikes, bluetooth is ok as long as you and the other riders have the same unit. If you don't, that is problematic. I switched from the Autocomm and FRS radio to the Sena SMH10. Problem I had with the FRS is commo between riders is simplex, only one person talks at a time. My wife was talking when I had a dog run out in front of me. I screamed dog in the road and that I am slowing down. Because she was talking she never heard the warning. We bumped saddle bags. The Sena is Duplex, same as a telephone conversation, you can interrupt the other one talking to warn or danger.

I wear Fuze molded ear buds and the audio is awesome. If you use the in helmet speakers the audio is adequate for conversations but lacking for music.

The Sena has a SR10 unit that will interface a FRS/CB radio with the unit. Talk to Tytass about that one.

If you are interested in the Sena on the ADV board rocketmoto is offering a discount to board members.

Hope that answers some questions.

Sena just came out with an updated firmware for their BLuetooth sets. I as a universal intercom feature that is suppose to let you communicate with non Sena Bluetooth units.

Alan

I wear Fuze molded ear buds and the audio is awesome. If you use the in helmet speakers the audio is adequate for conversations but lacking for music.

Ive seen these ear buds before. Do they offer any road/wind noise reduction? Or does most of it get through the bud?

Archived