IGNORED

buying an R1100RT

Bill B.

I am looking to get an R1100RT from my uncle in Tucson , and I dont know if I can sit on it comfortably with my previous broken tailbone . is there anyone out there that could possibly allow me to sit on their bike for about a half hour to see if I can ride comfortably ? I live on Long Island , New York

thanks , bill b.

Hi Bill! :wave: How old is your injury? My opinion but it seems like only a handful of people out there can sit on a stock BMW seat for more than an hour or so without some discomfort. The newer ones are getting better but still not great.

So, plan on spending a few bucks on an aftermarket seat. Just another opinion here, Russell Day-long saddles makes one of the best seats in the world and if you can't get comfortable on their seat, you're probably never going to be comfortable on a motorcycle.

http://www.day-long.com/

Good luck, welcome and we like pictures! :grin:

Pat

Bill,

The stock comfort saddle that came on my 00 is the most comfortable seat I have ever sat my skinny butt on, out of three Sargents, two or more Corbins and some other off brands. If I was to buy an aftermarket again I'd go with a Sargent, the one they made for my K1100 was near perfect. YMMV

thanks for your help people . I had to sell my 83 gold wing because I could only ride for about an hour . I bought an 86 Honda Interceptor medium seat with slight lean forward and I can ride that for 3 hours without problem . this sucks . tailbone was about 11 years ago

Welcome Bill. Sorry to know you are dealing with a long time injury. I have a couple of suggestions for you. While I heartily agree that you should upgrade to an aftermarket seat (Corbin is firm support, RussellDayLong has support for your thighs and is hands down most folks favorite) it would be equally important for you to consider your riding position.

When I moved from a Harley Davidson Springer Softtail to a BMWR1150RT I noticed that one benefit was my riding position changed. On the Harley I had aftermarket forward foot controls and that caused me to SIT on my tailbone. On the BMW my feet were where they should be, aligned under my hips. This allowed me to post, as if I was on a horse with my feet in the stirrups. As riders we all know the many benefits of proper use of the pegs, but I only learned that when I made the switch.

What I'm getting at is this: Consider taking a look (and feel for) at how you sit the seat. Is your pelvis forward or tilted back? Long ago D.Baker instructed me on how to sit the seat and it added to my day long riding comfort. Well, that and an after market seat.

Perhaps there is a riding position that will benefit you just as much as the right seat and ergonomics?

is there anyone out there that could possibly allow me to sit on their bike for about a half hour to see if I can ride comfortably ?

Lots of Variables:

What year is the 1100? I believe BMW made changes to their stock seats.

A LOT depends on your physical characteristics when comparing someones elses comfort. The length of YOUR arms, legs, and torso affects where how your weight is distributed on your buttocks/tailbone. For my 5'10 body their was a slight forward lean.

There are after market mods that can help with comfort: moving your bars back/higher, pegs lower or as mentioned, different seats.

Different seats for different people.

Ideally, be present while they're carving you a seat.

I've ridden my '99 on MANY 12hr rides, do not like the comfort of my stock seat or expensive aftermarket seat.

What you're asking for is probably the 2nd best way to find out.

thanks for your help people . I had to sell my 83 gold wing because I could only ride for about an hour . I bought an 86 Honda Interceptor medium seat with slight lean forward and I can ride that for 3 hours without problem . this sucks . tailbone was about 11 years ago

Like Kathy says - consider how you sit and maybe consider a different bike. I get that you have had an rt sort of present itself for you, but if you're looking for something that will be good at touring like your goldwing was, but has a more forward position like the Interceptor perhaps a more sport oriented sport touring bike. From BMW that might be something like a KxxooGT, or something else from another make. An r1100rt is a very upright bike unless you are short armed.

Just came across this - the Airhawk-R - designed for those with tailbone problems.

or check our the "about" video here:

I don't have personal experience with this but it sounds interesting enough to share the info.

I understand the tailbone issue. I aggravated mine today sledding with my grandson. Ouch! I'd have to think the RT would keep you just forward enough to keep your tailbone happy. I had a Russell saddle on my 99RT and no issues with the tailbone. The stock seat on the R12RT is another story.

my 2 cents,for what it's worth. I changed the seat angle on my stock seat by shimming the adjuster and added an air hawk. My saddle time tripled and all day rides are a joy. Not everyone will be happy with the air hawk because your butt moves around a bit on the cushion but you get used to it, I adjusted to it for comfort. Now I find a benefit in the squishy seat entering a turn because weight shift happens without physically shifting my butt, just a little pressure on the cheek of choice. Many may disagree, I can only say it works for me.

thanks all , really ...... my issue is that I will be flying out with probably 2 or 3 days of visiting my aunt and uncle and then riding 2300 miles back . that is why I am looking to sit on one for a period of time to see if I can handle it for the ride home . I would like to know before I commit . that would be an ultra crappy ride back if it is painful after 1 or 2 hours . I had thought about modifying the seat when I got there , or getting the air hawk seat cover that was mentioned .

thanks all , really ...... my issue is that I will be flying out with probably 2 or 3 days of visiting my aunt and uncle and then riding 2300 miles back . that is why I am looking to sit on one for a period of time to see if I can handle it for the ride home . I would like to know before I commit . that would be an ultra crappy ride back if it is painful after 1 or 2 hours . I had thought about modifying the seat when I got there , or getting the air hawk seat cover that was mentioned .

Good to know. That is an ambitious plan, under the circumstances. It seems to me it would be difficult to "sit a bike" and know that answer, because you need a day on said bike to really truly know. I'd bring a knife (pack it in a checked bag), duck tape and tie downs for the rental trailer. And a bunch of ibuprofen.

The RT seat wants to push you forward.

To remove the seat, the lock is above the taillight.

The seat has 3 height adjustments at the front.

4mm allen wrench to remove the saddle height adjuster, buy 10mm longer bolts (x4) 4 stacks of washers 10mm thick.

Pick up a heavy duty stapler, pop the old staples across the back of the seat, cut foam out at pressure point, re-staple.

Make it pretty after you get home

Ask your uncle if the seat is the stock one that came on the bike or the newer comfort seat that was standard on the 1150RT and an option on the 1100. I find the comfort seat to be just fine. I have an extra comfort seat skin and foam that you can have if you want to experiment and not cut into the stock seat. They look brand new and I beleive the PO used the seat pan for a Sargent when he bought the bike as new.

Just send me your addres and pay for the shipping and I will have my wife ship it to you.

thank you steve herbert . I will check with him . I spoke to someone who has a friend about 20 miles from me with an r1100rt . I will probably be able to have a seat for a while on his bike to see if it will be comfy for me . If it works for me , I may take you up on that offer .

• 3 weeks later...

How tall are you, and what's your inseam? The RT comfort seat is my favorite on my '99 RT. If you're 5' 10" or taller the comfort seat will likely suit you. Comfort is wider and approx. 1.5" thicker. The stock RT seat does jam you forward.

There is a product called a seat jack consisting of 2 pair of HDPE (hard plastic) blocks and bolts. You can use different thickness blocks to raise the front of the seat up.

Yes, you can use washers too.

The comfort seat will allow most to sit in comfort for many hours.

You may consider bar backs that allow the handlebars to move aft .75 inch and up about the same amount. This may bring you some comfort.

Don't make too many changes too quickly. The peg position may grow on you after the initial "cramp! cramp! " stage.

Morning Bill

You really won't get much usable information by just sitting on the BMW 1100RT or 1150RT seat without the bike moving & starting/stopping/bouncing around.

Just sitting still you will pretty much stay in place on the seat so it will feel pretty good.

It's when you start riding the bike that you will find yourself sliding forward on the seat & that quickly becomes very uncomfortable.

Using seat jacks to raise front of seat is a good starting point & for some that is all it takes but the stock seat is still uncomfortable for most riders after an hour or two in the saddle.

If you plan on buying that bike then riding it home cross country you might buy or make some seat jacks (see link below).

Personally if I were to ride that (1100RT bike) unseen & unridden back across country I would take 1/2" seat shims & longer bolts (M5X35mm cap screw bolts) & a sheep skin with me.

It might not be perfect, but raising the seat front 1/2" & using a sheep skin should allow you to ride it across country with enough comfort to get it home & still walk upright when you arrive.

Seat shim link- click here

Alaska Leather makes some really nice sheep covers. Very plush. They ship quickly and you could likely have it drop shipped to the bikes location.

I have an ancient sheep cover that still works. Allows air to circulate, etc.nuts so bad looking that I don't leave it on the seat at meal stops. It gives the appearance that something crawled up on the seat to die.

Tri750 , I am under 5`10" with short legs . I see you have The Beast Interceptor , NICE . thanks for the seat jack info . the bar risers would make things worse though . hence my choice of a VFR700

Alaska Leather makes some really nice sheep covers. Very plush. They ship quickly and you could likely have it drop shipped to the bikes location.

I have an ancient sheep cover that still works. Allows air to circulate, etc.nuts so bad looking that I don't leave it on the seat at meal stops. It gives the appearance that something crawled up on the seat to die.

Interesting you should say that. I put mine on the seat of my Honda Fit for a long drive; my daughter got in the car and said "What died in the seat?"

I'm a huge fan of my (60,000+ miles) Alaska Leather butt pad. I did some experimentation this week that made it even better, adding a sheet of 3/8" low-density upholstery foam to the underside. Less sliding around, and the foam is soft enough that it doesn't add much to ride height, but it provides a fairly dramatic difference in comfort by filling in the low spots and eliminating the hot spots. I went for a 140 mile ride yesterday, and it was the most comfortable ever. This mod adds at least 100 miles to what I can cover comfortably in a day.

This worked out so well that I just ordered a passenger pad for my wife. Note that Alaska Leather charges neither sales tax nor shipping fees.

I have one for my KLR. It was getting so ratty I took it off and redid the seat. Mayybe I should see if I can get it to work on my RT seat

Chris

Selden,

We use the Alaska sheepskins for day rides.

If we're going longer, the AirHawk goes under the sheepskin.

Works great and moves easily to another bike if needed.

I had to raise the seat considerably on my R1100Rt to find the right "fit" for me. Hope you come up with a plan works and good luck on the trip back. I'm originally from L.I., exit 64. I miss it badly.

Archived