IGNORED

Tire paint marking light spot?

BoisePilot

Have manufactures stopped marking the lightest spot on a new tire with a paint mark? I just got my second Michelin tire (PR4 GT) with no paint mark to indicate the lightest area to be aligned with the valve stem. I mount my own tires and I am not sure what I should do. I would appreciate any advise. :dopeslap:

Good evening Mr Phelps. ;)

Michelin hasn't used that marking in many, many moons because they maintain they tyres are so well balanced they don't need them.

Judging by the (large) number of Michelin tyres I have gone through the past eight years they have a point: it really makes no difference how you mount the tyre.

This is what I found on Michelin's website.

Quote "2. Lightly spin the assembly on a balance stand and allow the assembly to come to rest naturally. Using a crayon or similar marking device, mark the topmost location of the wheel. This will indicate the lightest point of the assembly to which balance weight must be added in order to balance the assembly. Repeat the procedure to ensure accuracy. If the wheel comes to rest with the original mark in different positions each time, the assembly is balanced and no weights will be required."

If you would like to read the whole page http://motorcycle.michelinman.com/advice/faq/general-information-precautions

I haven't gotten a PR in a few years that's had a mark on it. Generally just mount & balance it. If it requires much weight (aka more than I had last time - very empirical science here :) ) then I deflate, break the bead and spin the tire around a bit and redo it. Don't think I've had to do that more than a couple of times in the past 15 or 20 tires and I be willing to bet there might have been some operator error in mounting the tire in the first place and redoing it allows me to correct whatever I effed up the first time.

This is what I found on Michelin's website.

... which are instructions for balancing once the tire is mounted.

The section on tire mounting in this document makes no mention of balance marks painted on the tire.

Archived