IGNORED

AirHawk seat cushion

TXR1200ST

I have both. I only use the Throttlemeister on the freeway when I'm cruising for a long time. I have a cramp buster too.

The Air Hawk works best if you don't over inflate it. It takes very little air in it to do it's job. It will seem like you don't have enough air in it when you're not sitting on it, but when you sit on it the air spreads out to give you about a 1/2 inch cushion. If you put much more air in it, it feels like you're sitting on a bubble.

As Burt said, the least amount of air that gives you support

is best.

Too much air counter productive.

Prolly 200,000+ miles on ours, wish I had found it earlier.

As with any saddle question, opinons, like anatomies, will vary.

Enjoy the trip.

I have the Airhawk (original) Medium Cruiser on my R1200ST and it works very well to increase comfort. I use mine on multi-day trips but not on sporting day rides (prefer feeling more connected to the bike), so it's nice that it's easily strapped down and removed.

Note that the original has a neoprene rubber bladder and the version 2 has a polyurethane bladder. The original is ~2x the cost of the version 2. I would think the neoprene is more durable but I don't have any experience to support that.

Nathan Margolis

Did an IronButt March '13 (Daytona to Houston) and could not of done without Airhawk over a hard Corbin seat.

In 2012, did about 800 miles from Durango to Houston and damn near killed me on Corbin by itself.

Like the other gentleman said, remove after I get to destination for some fun riding. Does look like a whoopie cushion.

Airhawk makes all the difference in the world for long days for sure. Never read anything negative about them ever.

Throttlemeister is okay but rarely used ... I would not start a long day with a cramp buster.

I also have one of these. It is much easier to set than a throttemeister and works just fine (also significantly less expensive). I got it because it is difficult to set a throttlemeister with winter gloves on and this thing is a snap to use. I really like the new aluminum one!

I used an Airhawk for a while on my 07 RT. While I didn't find it as comfortable as a custom seat, I did manage to do several 600 and 700 mile days with it. Without the Airhawk, it only took about 75 miles before the seat became uncomfortable.

Throttlemeister is okay but rarely used ... I would not start a long day with a cramp buster.

I also have one of these. It is much easier to set than a throttemeister and works just fine (also significantly less expensive). I got it because it is difficult to set a throttlemeister with winter gloves on and this thing is a snap to use. I really like the new aluminum one!

+1 on the go cruise throttle lock. I did 7k cross country in July out to bmw rally. I have a throttlemeister but hardly used at all on the trip out west. I just find it very cumbersome to set. At the rally I picked up a go cruise for $20. Best $20 I ever spent. Used it all the time on the trip home.

I have an RT with a Rick Meyer saddle which I find very comfortable. However I had an air hawk hanging around from previous bike and decided to use on the long trip. I found it to be a big help, but I don't use during regular riding. Echo what others say about using minimum air in it though.

Nathan Margolis

Throttlemeiser in my opinion is a waste of money as it may be good when you have long stretches of flat, flat, flat roads or if you are trying to secure/adjust your jacket wrist adjustments.

There is not that much tension on BMW trist throttles that should give you a problem and you can always change positions of your hand on the grip, too.

I had them on two prior BMWs and seldom ever used and never for any extended period of time. Road conditions just are not conducive to the usage because of mph drop off/increase going up or down any type of incline, even the most suttle.

My R1100RT came with a Throttlemeister, and while it's a beautifully made piece of kit, I prefer the way something like a Vista Cruise works. Setting the Throttlemeister requires crossing my left hand over to engage, which is far from convenient. In wet weather, the metal is slippery, so I ended up wrapping it with a layer of black rubber tape. With a Vista Cruise, you can engage/disengage with a flick of the thumb, without ever moving your hand on the throttle grip.

vista_cruise.gif

Cheaper, works better.

Thanks for all the feed back. AirHawk on Ebay is selling for about $80 so I think that is a win. I also love the Go cruise throttle control. That is exactly what I was looking for.

I have a bum(ish) wrist and really need to relax the hand when riding. I think the use of the Go cruise will be perfect. Easy to put on / off and adjust while riding.

Thanks again for the ideas.

R

Hi Richard, If you haven't pulled the trigger on an 'Airhawk yet, you might look at this one Freedom Air . I've used an airhawk and while a help, I like the Freedom Air better. BTW get the cruiser size if you get one.

I tried an Airhawk but didn't like it. Ended up with a sheepskin fleece pad (Alaska Leather?) which I do like on long rides. Cheaper than the Airhawk, too.

The Throttlemeister is not a cruise control. It locks the throttle but doesn't adjust for up and down hills. Good for a break for your right wrist or to use your right hand for something ( adjust jacket vents, scratch your left arm, etc)

I have the T'meister in black with the machined grooves which are easier to grip and look pretty cool. Also the heavier weight reduces handlebar vibes.

pete

2011 RT

I ran into a BMWMOA mileage award winner in the waiting room of a local dealership. As we chatted, I complained about the Throttlemeister uphill & downhill. He smiled and said "You're using it wrong!"

He explained: adjust it so it's firm, not tight, so you can still move the handgrip a little.

I've been doing that ever since and it helps.

Granted, it's not as carefree as electronic cruise...:-)

I don't have any experience with the Airhawk, but have had a Throttlemeister on my past couple of bikes.

It's nowhere as consistent as a true cruise control, but it does help over extended periods of interstate travel. As mentioned above, you don't want to tighten it so much as to make it impossible to adjust as you go uphill or downhill. In seriously hilly territory, just forget it. The Crampbuster is quite helpful, and I almost always use one. The two, used together, provide a little bit of the functionality of real cruise control, but you need to stay on top of your speed.

Over the years I have migrated from using a Russell seat, to adding a Airhawk cushion and two years ago added the Alaskan Sheepskin. Triple bliss! Have done a few Vermont to Illinois trip (~1000 miles) in one long day on my 07RT. All three have added to greater comfort and highly recommended.

There seem to be two AirHawk

The original $190 and the AirHawk2 at half that.

Watch out when you buy. They will advertise AirHawk but you get a AirHawk 2 (amazon does this currently)

Anyone use this? What is your experience? I am getting set up for a 4 day ride and I want to increase my comfort level. Cushion for the seat and throttlemeister for the throttle.

http://www.motorcyclecushions.net/p-242-airhawk-2-medium-cruiser.aspx

Comments on both?

Thanks

R

Can't help on the Throttlemeister. I used something similar to -THIS- . It helpful for momentarily holding the throttle so you can use your right hand to adjust something, or just let it rest for a minute or so. If there is hill, your speed with change. But for $20 bucks or so for my basic one, it's a blessing on a long ride. I use it on my Triumph all the time when I ride over 4-5 hours or so.

On the AirHawk, I recommend you try one before you buy one. I bought one as I thought it was a good idea; for me it was not. And yes, I experimented with the amount of air in it, etc. I just never felt comfortable. Since that time I found my butt does better with a firm seat covered with a sheepskin. My riding partner is just the opposite....I traded him the AirHawk and he cannot ride without it now.....but then he rides a Goldwing; what can you expect? ;)

The Airhawk would put pressure on my family jewels on long rides as installed on my ST. Of course every bike & rider interface is different. I found the reach to the bars (even with Verholen kit) forced me to favor the front of the seat. I think the Airhawk would work best if the riders weight is centered over it. BTW, a wheelbarrow innertube isn't too bad for occasional long distance rides & cheap. :grin:

Seems maybe no one read the instructions on the Air Hawk.

The correct way to adjust it is to inflate it, leave the zip open and the valve out.

Sit on the bike and reach back and crack the valve until you sink into a pocket, tighten the valve. You may have to experiment to find the right pocket of comfort.

The Throttlemeister is not meant to be cranked down hard, it's meant to defeat the return spring so you can relax your muscles and have the weight of your hand hold the throttle open. Yes, yup can crank her up a bit to stretch or adjust your gloves.

Kaoko makes a very simular product with raised knobs on it making it easier to adjust. You only have to buy one side as well. It's made of plastic so it costs less and has proven to be a durable product. Twisted Throttle sells them. My RT came with a TM or I would buy the Kaoko.

Even though I just bought a new Sargent seat, I decided to try my old (50,000+ miles) Alaska Leather sheepskin last week. Then, continuing my experiments, I stopped at an upholstery shop yesterday, and picked up a remanant of fairly soft 3/8" thick foam, with a fabric backing on one side. The sheepskin is good; sheepskin + foam is like the difference between hiking boots with and without hiking socks. The foam is soft enough that it adds almost nothing to height at a stop, when I am up on the nose of the seat, and it compresses, but in normal riding position, it fills in the gaps.

seatfoam.JPG

I too am considering an AirHawk.The question is which is better the original or 2? Does not make sense to me that the newer version is less expensive. Right now only planning 'shorter' rides of 200-300 miles per day but have plans to do a saddle sore soon. as well as the Tour of Honor. Also what size is best for 2013 RT.

I did the road test for my modified Alaska Leather sheepskin buttpad this weekend, and it was the first time I can ever riding in such comfort — no hot spots over a 6-hour day. I also bought a pillion buttpad for my long-suffering wife. Alaska Leather ships free, and doesn't collect sales tax. I suspect that with a new skin, I wouldn't need the foam pad, as the fleece on her buttpad is much thicker and denser. Apparently AL makes their buttpads to order, and they really are made in Alaska, not a Chinese ripoff.

To prepare the skin, I washed it for the second time in 10 years (using a liquid soap specifically recommended for washing sheepskins), then partially air dried (no heat) it in a clothes dryer until the leather was damp, but no longer wet. I chamfered the edges of the foam, then strapped the pad and foam to the seat for 24 hours in front of a heating vent, to mold everything to the shape of the seat. When dry, I sprayed the cloth side of the foam, and stuck it to the leather.

sheep%252Bfoam%2520-%2520Edited.JPG

buttpads%2520-%2520Edited.JPG

I don't care if it looks like an animal died on my seat, my butt is happy. We're heading out to ride the Natchez Trace in 2 weeks.

Does not make sense to me that the newer version is less expensive.

Joe, My wife and I have both the original (me) and Airhawk 2 (Carol). The Airhawk 2 is the 'rubber' one, which appears less robust (but haven't tried confirming it) than the original neoprene version, hence the difference in price, as opposed to an old and newer model of the same thing.

We can't say we noticed any difference in comfort, or use, just the material used.

When dry, I sprayed the cloth side of the foam, and stuck it to the leather.

What did you use as an adhesive? I'd like to try with my Alaska Leather sheepskin.

Any spray mount adhesive (3M, etc) should do. It provides enough tack to keep the foam in place, but not such a strong bond that you can't pull it apart if you don't like the result.

• 1 month later...

I how have an AirHawk and a Alaska Leather pad on my 99 RT. Getting it dialed in as I've only ridden on it twice.

Let you know in a couple of weeks after the Georgia Mountain Rally.

I have to agree with the above comments on the Throttlemeister. When I had my ST1100, I wanted one but couldn't afford it so I bought a VistaCruise throttle lock for about ten bucks. When I got my RT it already had a Throttlemeister installed and I was happy to have it, but after using it I've found that the VistaCruise was soooo much easier to use. Just a flick of the thumb to set rather than a weird combination of holding the throttle with thumb and forefinger while using your pinky to try to tighten it. Not sure if the VistaCruise fits the RT, but if not the GoCruise mentioned above looks like it would be great as well.

Archived