IGNORED

Well, I've gone and done it.

Bud

Because my M/C budget isn't unlimited, I've ordered a Piggybacker trailer to pull behind my R 1100 RT.

Piggy%20Backer%20XL%20Nick.jpg

img10.jpg

imgB.jpg

imgA2.jpg

Found a Uni-go hitch in Colorado and flew home with it on Tuesday. Disassembled it and put it in a duffel bag as checked luggage.

Lots of different choices of trailers and which one is the best. Whole internet community of folks who buy Harbor Freight trailers and convert them.

The reasons I bought the Pig are:

1. I've emailed them several questions and gotten prompt, informative responses.

2. Independent suspension

3. 12" tires

4. LED lights

5. Swivel hitch

6. Very good reviews from users on other fourms.

7. Free shipping right now.

8. Uses standard size bearings which you can get at any NAPA

9. Price

It's not a Unigo or Bushtec, and it wouldn't be the trailer for some others, but for me it will be just fine.

Should be here next Friday.

Very nice. I'm considering a trailer also for a two week ride this summer. We ride two-up and there is never enough room for everything. What's the price range on your trailer?

Good question Matt.

I won't use the top case for sure.

I'm thinking once I've arrived at the destination, I will want the side cases for day trips.

Don't plan on putting much in them otherwise.

Taking the weight off the bike and onto the trailer seems to be the way to go.

We will see. First trip with the trailer will be to START. I hope there is enough room for a bottle of Makers Mark! :thumbsup:

I should add that I will be camping at the Georgia Mountain Rally the next weekend so I will also have all my camping gear in the trailer when I arrive at START.

Nice trailer and nice price. Very roomy and flat load area. I've been looking around, too.

It seems to me that the tires don't get much stress and any flat should be pretty easy to fix on the road, so although the spare probably lowers the center of gravity a bit and stabilizes the trailer's tracking, I might figure other uses for that space.

Nice trailer and nice price. Very roomy and flat load area. I've been looking around, too.

It seems to me that the tires don't get much stress and any flat should be pretty easy to fix on the road, so although the spare probably lowers the center of gravity a bit and stabilizes the trailer's tracking, I might figure other uses for that space.

I also thought the spare was not needed. I mean, how many of us carry spare tires for our motorcycles? And I carry a plug kit on the bike anyways.

Removing that weight will make things lighter or I can carry more stuff!

I also thought the spare was not needed. I mean, how many of us carry spare tires for our motorcycles? And I carry a plug kit on the bike anyways.

Removing that weight will make things lighter or I can carry more of my wife's stuff!

Fixed. :grin:

Removing that weight will make things lighter or I can carry more of my wife's stuff!

Fixed. :grin:

Not fixed. She doesn't ride! :grin:

The entry level Bushtec is just over $2,000 and that is in a basic color. Then if one has it painted to match the bike add a minimum of half-again to that price.

Th other solid body manufactured units are likewise pricy. It all adds up to more money than I am willing to put into something that sits unused all but 8 to 10 days a year.

So back when I was riding Gold Wings I bought a Harbor Freight trailer and put a Sears 21 cf cartop carrier on it. My total cost for the project was just shy of $500, but the finished product was real rough in appearance.

The Piggybacker series came along a year or two later and I think for the guy or couple who only does a couple of long weekends a year it is an ideal choice. Plus, compared to the funky red and angle stock frame of the HF unit the Piggybacker looks like a family heirloom.

Which leads me to my personal interest. Trailer choices are plentiful but hitch choices are much more limited. So I'm very interested in the Uniqo hitch. Can you by chance post pictures of the steps in the install and the finished product?

The entry level Bushtec is just over $2,000 and that is in a basic color. Then if one has it painted to match the bike add a minimum of half-again to that price.

Th other solid body manufactured units are likewise pricy. It all adds up to more money than I am willing to put into something that sits unused all but 8 to 10 days a year.

So back when I was riding Gold Wings I bought a Harbor Freight trailer and put a Sears 21 cf cartop carrier on it. My total cost for the project was just shy of $500, but the finished product was real rough in appearance.

The Piggybacker series came along a year or two later and I think for the guy or couple who only does a couple of long weekends a year it is an ideal choice. Plus, compared to the funky red and angle stock frame of the HF unit the Piggybacker looks like a family heirloom.

Which leads me to my personal interest. Trailer choices are plentiful but hitch choices are much more limited. So I'm very interested in the Uniqo hitch. Can you by chance post pictures of the steps in the install and the finished product?

If you send me a pm with your e-mail, I can send you the instructions that has pics.

It is attached to the bike at both foot peg plates and at the top with a plate that bolts to the rear sub frame.

Very stout construction.

You need to remove the rear seat and the top of the tail cover to have room to drill two holes thru the rear fender so you can bolt the vertical support to the plate which also bolts to the plate on the rear of the hitch.

I would guess that an experienced installer could do in in an hour.

What was interesting to me was that there were places on both foot peg plates with two holes and a space for a backer. The backer slid into a hollow space on the foot peg plate, two bolts went thru the mounting piece on the hitch, thru the holes in the plate and then bolted into the backers. Pretty swift. The ends of the hitch were then bolted onto the mounting piece.

The person I bought it from had a ball hitch mount fabricated which bolted on in place of the Unigo receiver.

If I were not going to be an occasional user, I would have tried to find a used Bushtec. They have independent A arm suspension with adjustable air suspension. Smooth ride.

I figure that if I don't like the Piggy, I can sell it easily enough as there are few (like zero) available on the used market. I know, I've looked all over the country.

Folks who have them rave about them and tend to keep them.

Thanks. I like what I'm reading about the installation. PM sent.

Every once in a while a used Bushtec or Escapade will turn up cheap on Craigslist or on a motorcycling site. But one has to make peace with taking whatever color shows up on the radar and be ready with his money because the pounce factor counts!

After years of two motorcycles (a Gold Wing, and a big Suzuki dual sport) I have sold both of those bikes and have just gotten the carport cleared enough to comfortably get around in it.

The Gold Wing was replaced with a BMW Z3. When we were shopping them we kept talking in terms of the "Gold Wing was our motorcycle even though only I could drive it, but the Z3 will be something both of us can drive."

Weirdly, my wife seems to have confiscated the thing. Being of sound mind and lacking a death wish, I hardly want to tell her it has to move outside so I can park a m/c trailer in it's place! :dopeslap:

In the meanwhile I'll keep my eyes open and read up on this hitches business.

Archived