IGNORED

Heated seat connectors - Russell/BMW

DiggerJim

I'm trying to find the appropriate connectors to mate my 2007 R1200RT's heated seat power cable to my front Russell heated seat. My Mayer seat was built reusing my stock heated seat wiring so that one fits great. But, my Russell is part of a pair (front & passenger) that have their own switch & thermostat and wiring connectors. All is fine when I have both on the bike at the same time because I have the Russell power lead tapped into the battery. Both the Russell front and the power lead are male plugs (oval with gaskets for a waterproof connection). The Russell also has the front seat's switch built into the rear seat so the pair need to be used together for the front to work.

However, I'm heading off next month on a ride down to Miami & then Jacksonville before returning to CT so I'll be using my auxiliary fuel tank that takes the place of my rear seat. That means I need to wire the front Russell seat into my bike without the rear seat's wiring or switch.

What I'd like to do is hook it to my bike's seat connector and use the handlebar switch. I don't know if that will throw a ZFE error from too much current draw by the Russell seat (it has more robust wiring leads than the ones for the BMW heated seat suggesting perhaps higher current draw). This would require a cable with a female BMW seat connector and a female Russell connector.

Alternatively I could attach the seat to the Russell power lead but that would require 2 female Russell connectors (& a switch).

Does any other Russell owner know what the appropriate connectors are? Looking through my Mouser catalog there are dozens (or more) that look like they're potentially the right ones but I figured I'd check if someone here had the same issue and solved it already before trying out a few possible connectors.

My least favorite alternative is to add power taps to both wiring sets and wire in something completely different using Molex or other connectors - I'd prefer to cut into the wires as little as possible and use the appropriate connectors instead.

Anyone have ideas/solutions/thoughts? I've sent Russell an email but haven't heard back yet and I'm sitting here itching to go :)

TIA

So I'm going to answer my own post :)

Got through to Russell. Great people. They have exactly the parts needed - a thermo switch, wiring connector and spare female connectors. All for a princely sum of $20 delivered :D

Just one more reason I expect that most everyone seems to love their RDLs. So if you're looking to run with just the front of your seat pair, give them a shout and they can hook you up with what you need to do so. Nice folks.

Archived