IGNORED

"Rain Guard Technology" vs Gortex? (re Tourmaster

Doug 55

Just bought a nice pair of Tour Master Venture pants for my SO ("the lovely Ms. Rosita"), they seem like a great value for the $ including "Rain Guard Technology" which appears to be a Gortex equivalent ... if so I am fascinated since Gortex = $$$ on the price tag ... per the old adage "if something seems to good to be true it probably is" I would appreciate any info or advice about Gortex Wanna-be's vs the real thing :)

PS / url to the Venture pant:

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/just_for_women/textile_jackets_and_pants/tour_master/ladies_venture_textile_motorcycle_overpants.html?gclid=CNuytpSG5LwCFYlafgodgTQAWw

Note that this is my personal experience... other people's will obviously vary. :)

Personally I've found these "Gore-Tex wannabe's" to be a notch or two under the genuine article. Not bad, just inferior, leading me to believe the old adage "You get what you pay for".

In boots the difference is very marked: I currently have a pair of TCX using genuine Gore-Tex as a windproof/waterproof membrane. They are vastly superior to the various membranes my previous Alpine Stars, Sidi and Gaerne have for both comfort and water resistance.

This year I finally replaced my Hein Gericke Master IV combo. I bought it in 2006 for the then very strong sum of 600€ (it was on sale...). It used Gore-Tex Outerwear, which back then was the best you could get. It kept me dry for years in all conditions and I replaced it only because it had become so ragged I looked like a beggar.

I've stuck with Gore-Tex and opted for Pro-Shell this time around. And you would be right in saying it's expensive: very expensive in fact. But the weight alone (or lack of it) is a good start. It's so light, much lighter than similar items using Performance Shell or various Gore-Tex competitors. It also appears to have better "climate control" than anything I had before.

Only time (and showers) will tell how it performs, but given what I paid for it, it'd better be good. ;)

Interesting.

SIDI On Road boots were hands down winner wrt waterproof testing by MCN several times. (Haven't subscribed past several years.)

Mine have been resoled, but I'm working on over 150,000 miles in them, including some work days wearing them to and at work plus many tours where they were my only shoes.

Never had any water issues from flooding to hurricane feeder bands and water up over the footpegs.

YMMV

Doug,

I can't speak to the efficacy of "Rainguard" technology, just my personal experience. I have the Venture pants and the Intake jacket, both by TourMaster. I've been very pleased by the performance of the set in all conditions, particularly wet conditions.

If the idea of a wet layer is to keep the water off the skin, then this stuff works; no exterior raingear necessary. The last time I rode in a rainstorm, it was a real gully-washer. I rode for about 150 miles in that soaker and only got a little damp in one boot.

I don't recall whether it was 'breathable' or not - I was just interested in getting home. But that said, I don't recall any problems with being too 'clammy'.

For the price, TourMaster is a great deal. Maybe when I win the lottery I'll go get some Klim or Aerostitch...

Cheers,

Mark

Interesting.

SIDI On Road boots were hands down winner wrt waterproof testing by MCN several times. (Haven't subscribed past several years.)

Mine have been resoled, but I'm working on over 150,000 miles in them, including some work days wearing them to and at work plus many tours where they were my only shoes.

Never had any water issues from flooding to hurricane feeder bands and water up over the footpegs.

YMMV

I have a pair of On Road as well (it's actually my second: the first one was chewed by a dog... literally), resoled as well.

Make no bone about it, the quality is exceptional but the TCX are just more comfortable over long hauls... much more comfortable in the heat, and they are as watertight as the Sidi.

Given this is related, I think the difference is in the membrane.

Due to bad genes (my doctor's words, not mine ;)) I tend to sweat a lot from the head and the feet in the heat and the TCX just seem to be able to dissipate heat so much better... while at the same time keeping the water out.

I think where Gore-Tex is superior to other membranes is in the breathability compartment: letting out the heated moisture emanating from the body.

Again, this is my impression. :)

I have those exact same pants and the Tourmaster jacket to match. I've ridden in some horrendous downpours and the only leakage was down my neck as I was in a sportbike crouch. Tourmaster stuff is a great value. I did have a pair of their bulky winter gloves that split the seams.

The jacket and pants don't let moisture OUT if you are using them on a warmer day. The vents need to be used wisely. Other than that, $$ well spent.

Decades ago, the main alternative to Gore-Tex was urethane-coated nylon; the urethane coating didn't breathe well, and was prone to separation. The Gore-Tex patent ran out some time ago, so now other companies can make essentially the same product as Gore-Tex.

Robert Gore's father worked at DuPont's Experimental Station, and somewhat surprisingly, the family managed to secure patents without DuPont asserting intellectual property rights. (I worked as a janitor at the Experimental Station one summer, and I remember having to sign an intellectual property release, in the unlikely event that I discovered something revolutionary while vacuuming floors and cleaning toilets.)

I think a lot depends on the construction of the Jacket/Pants. I bought a used Tourmaster Jacket off of EffBee on the Classified forum. It never leaked and keep me warm in cold weather. I sold that jacket when I bought the "Gortex" Olympia AST. The AST leaks at the arm zippers, poor construction not the Gortex's fault.

Alan

I've stuck with Gore-Tex and opted for Pro-Shell this time around.

Hi Kakugo,

Did you go with Rukka this time or did you find something else?

John

I've stuck with Gore-Tex and opted for Pro-Shell this time around.

Hi Kakugo,

Did you go with Rukka this time or did you find something else?

John

I got Dane.

Decades ago, the main alternative to Gore-Tex was urethane-coated nylon; the urethane coating didn't breathe well, and was prone to separation. The Gore-Tex patent ran out some time ago, so now other companies can make essentially the same product as Gore-Tex.

Robert Gore's father worked at DuPont's Experimental Station, and somewhat surprisingly, the family managed to secure patents without DuPont asserting intellectual property rights. (I worked as a janitor at the Experimental Station one summer, and I remember having to sign an intellectual property release, in the unlikely event that I discovered something revolutionary while vacuuming floors and cleaning toilets.)

I should still have an urethane coated nylon rain suit somewhere. I nicknamed it "the Finnish sauna" because it breathed so well. :rofl:

Regarding the Gore family... from the usual stories you hear at the Uni (coming from a variety of sources: from trustworthy professors to drunken students and from trustworthy students to drunken professors so they should be taken with a large pinch of salt) I took it they had originally set up W.L. Gore & Associates as a side business, independent from DuPont. The main association they had with DuPont was buying PTFE tubes and sheets from them.

The SO has a Tourmaster that has worked well for her for the past couple years. When we're heading to rallies we ride in whatever happens so its gotten its share of 80+ mph rain riding in traffic. I'd take that as adequate proof that its OK.

For myself, I prefer light weight external GoreTex and have jackets/pants from Cabela's. LL Bean, etc. Whoever has the lightest stuff at the time. Packs smaller and lighter than anything else. My LL Bean jacket is over 30 yrs old and still works fine though the membrane is a bit damaged near the zipper outside the waterproof protection area. Been washed more times than I've got fingers, too. That kind of durability is what makes me buy it again.

Don't even think about urethane coated anything- its literally worse than nothing in the rain. You can't get it on or off because it hangs on everything and you'll sweat to death if the temp is over 70, maybe even 60.

Part of the reason I learned to appreciate good comfortable rain gear is all the days I've spent fishing in the rain as a tournament fisherman or as a hunter. Don't want a good day of fun wrecked by a bit of rain and some crappy rain gear..

The absolute best rain protection I have ever owned is the military issued gortex jacket and pants. They may look funny but they are awesome. I am not fond of the hood that is attached for motorcycle riding but it has not been an issue. No armour of course but they are light and roomy enough to wear over other gear.

Shaolin Master Sergeant

I'm with Steve. I wear mine over a mesh Tourmaster jacket. I open the zipper that runs under the arm and I get a very nice flow of air that comes out the back vent to keep things from getting swampy while still remaining dry. I have 3 sets: woodland camo, desert camo and ABU (Air Force). The desert one is the best for summer use as it is lighter construction. They all work well for winter riding. Needless to say, I wear a hi viz vest over the parka.

SteveHebert

When I was on a Radio Recon Team in the Marine Corp back 90-92, we were issued the very lightweight jacket and pants. I have not been able to find them sense. I have the multi system that used to include the "Bear Suit" under the heavier gortex. That was very comfy and crazy warm but way bulky. I need to find the lightweight combo again for those Alabama summer showers that happy most afternoons.

Archived