IGNORED

Aux fuel tank

Bud

Going to add one to my RT in anticipation of the ride to Nova Scotia.

Read everything I could find on the inter-webby thing. :grin:

Anyone here have one on a 110/1150 RT?

Any words of warning about imminent death from pulling a trailer while using an aux fuel cell? :wave:

San Diego, California (June 24, 2008) Gary Orr, co-owner of San Diego BMW Motorcycles, completed a non-stop motorcycle ride from California to Florida on June 11-12, 2008. He rode a BMW K1200LT and towed a trailer which carried 75 gallons of gas, enough fuel for the entire cross-country trip. Gary's incentive behind the project was to be the first human in history to travel from California to Florida, without stopping--for anything. This meant no interruptions of travel for food, sleep, restroom, traffic lights, traffic, road construction, border patrol, police, weather or any other variable of fate.

That is how you add aux fuel using a trailer

San Diego, California (June 24, 2008) Gary Orr, co-owner of San Diego BMW Motorcycles, completed a non-stop motorcycle ride from California to Florida on June 11-12, 2008. He rode a BMW K1200LT and towed a trailer which carried 75 gallons of gas, enough fuel for the entire cross-country trip. Gary's incentive behind the project was to be the first human in history to travel from California to Florida, without stopping--for anything. This meant no interruptions of travel for food, sleep, restroom, traffic lights, traffic, road construction, border patrol, police, weather or any other variable of fate.

That is how you add aux fuel using a trailer

Not exactly what I had in mind. :rofl:

I don't trust the cage drivers enough to pull around a potential bomb.

What about that 20 gallon tank in your vehicle? :grin:

Since there are plenty of places to get gas along your route why would you want to bother with the hassle, expense, and weight of the auxiliary tank?

If you are thinking your fuel mileage will be greatly reduced pulling the trailer, I think you'll find there will be little difference. I pulled a small trailer back in the late 70's and early 80's. The trailer was undetectable for the most part when underway. I drove a little slower and that slightly slower speed made up the difference. My mileage was pretty much the same, trailer or no trailer.

Re: Gary Orr:

Bet that damn catheter hurt like hell!

Wonder what he did with solid waste?

Re: Gary Orr:

Bet that damn catheter hurt like hell!

Wonder what he did with solid waste?

Had a colonoscopy the day before so he didn't have any solid waste. :rofl:

Since there are plenty of places to get gas along your route why would you want to bother with the hassle, expense, and weight of the auxiliary tank?

If you are thinking your fuel mileage will be greatly reduced pulling the trailer, I think you'll find there will be little difference. I pulled a small trailer back in the late 70's and early 80's. The trailer was undetectable for the most part when underway. I drove a little slower and that slightly slower speed made up the difference. My mileage was pretty much the same, trailer or no trailer.

I'm thinking there must be some effect on MPG with the trailer from both additional weight and air drag. We will see.

If the fuel cell doesn't work out, I can easily sell it an get my money back. Or perhaps there is a new IBA category for a "Trailering Saddle Sore" for which I would be eligible? :lurk:

"I'm thinking there must be some effect on MPG with the trailer from both additional weight and air drag. We will see."

I did have some additional drag when passing through Monahans, TX. The streets were flooded from a very recent thunderstorm. I felt an odd sensation and was informed by my passenger that the trailer was floating as we rode slowly through a flooded intersection.

I just remembered that a friend of mine rode his GL1800 from Charlotte out to burning man a few years ago. He had a trailer similar to yours that he put a couple solar cells on, an inverter inside for AC and then he had a good storage battery.

He ran rope lights in his camp site at night from the battery and also an icemaker during the day so he always had cold drinks and such while riding through the desert. I'll see if I can get him to email me the link to his blog page with the setup, It was pretty interesting.

"I'm thinking there must be some effect on MPG with the trailer from both additional weight and air drag. We will see."

I did have some additional drag when passing through Monahans, TX. The streets were flooded from a very recent thunderstorm. I felt an odd sensation and was informed by my passenger that the trailer was floating as we rode slowly through a flooded intersection.

Wow. I guess I should be sealing the bolt holes on the bottom to keep the water out when it floats. :grin:

Have you looked at Tour Tank? If the wife ever decides to ride her Shadow for any longer distances, I'd get one of those. Currently, her Shadow hits 110 miles and the fill up light comes on. Adding another two gallon tank would suffice for the most part.

Have you looked at Tour Tank? If the wife ever decides to ride her Shadow for any longer distances, I'd get one of those. Currently, her Shadow hits 110 miles and the fill up light comes on. Adding another two gallon tank would suffice for the most part.

Not really. I bought a Summit Racing aluminum tank with all the fittings for $125, including the mounting plate to mount it on my RT from an IBA veteran who has had to give up riding. It has passed IBA inspection in case I ever get the bug. Only thing I will need to do is put a bulkhead fitting in the fuel pump mounting plate and I'm good to go. Gravity feed. Easy peasy.

Heck of a steal from the MOA Flea Market. :thumbsup:

I just remembered that a friend of mine rode his GL1800 from Charlotte out to burning man a few years ago. He had a trailer similar to yours that he put a couple solar cells on, an inverter inside for AC and then he had a good storage battery.

He ran rope lights in his camp site at night from the battery and also an icemaker during the day so he always had cold drinks and such while riding through the desert. I'll see if I can get him to email me the link to his blog page with the setup, It was pretty interesting.

Enjoyed reading his blog. Interesting guy and great photos from his trip out west. He is a rider!

Archived