IGNORED

Light options for the R1200R

jar_of_clay

You could do an HID conversion, the problems being not much space within the headlight shell for the light module and nowhere to hide the ballast and relay.

If you check on one, make sure it's known compatable with CANBUS. Systems or you'll have start up problems with the light.

Additional lighting, I sure you'll get several suggestions. Check on Clearwater LED lights out of the Sacramento, Ca. area. Very good lights, clean mounts and they have a rheostat so you can crank the light output up or down.

For,conspicuity, night driving, etc.?

Identify the need and you'll get more than enough suggestions.

Also determinw if you want them on all the time, only w/high beam, or a separate on/off.

Mine predate LED/HD options,

Fork mounted Motolights add conspicuity and increase visibility at night.

Under oil cooler PIAA's are spot beams that throw light almost as far as high beam.

Motolights have separate switch and PIAA's are through the cancel switch via an autoswitch.

Good luck.

jar_of_clay

Thanks for the information from all. I am mainly concerned about being seen by other drivers and night time vision . I have had the moto lights mounted on an RT, but these were well before the current technology. They did help light up the ditches on either side of the road, but they did not add any range to the stock light. I normally avoid night time travel, because I live in a deer infested part of the country. There is not enough light in the world to keep you safe from a deer in rut. As I am planning a cross country trip this spring, I know that the stock light on the R12R is not quite strong enough to keep me safe. thanks.

Thanks for the information from all. I am mainly concerned about being seen by other drivers and night time vision . I have had the moto lights mounted on an RT, but these were well before the current technology. They did help light up the ditches on either side of the road, but they did not add any range to the stock light. I normally avoid night time travel, because I live in a deer infested part of the country. There is not enough light in the world to keep you safe from a deer in rut. As I am planning a cross country trip this spring, I know that the stock light on the R12R is not quite strong enough to keep me safe. thanks.

Depending on how much you want to spend I would suggest either Clearwater Darala's (about $550 a pair) or Twisted Throttle Denali 2's (about $330 a pair)

I have the Denali 2's on my GSA and like them a lot and have Motolights on my RT but would probably go LED. The Motolights are great if you are not wanting LED.

I sold the Motolights for years at the dealership I worked at. Very nice, high quality light.

But as you mention, today's technology has passed them by like the Autocom vs say, a Scala G9 intercom.

The Clearwater's are so far ahead of halogen lights, it's unbelievable. They have 4 or 5 models of lights.

In the day, you would pay close to 500 for a set of halogen PIAA's and a light bar so the Clearwater's are right in there.

Why someone would want halogen over LED is likely not enough information on the LED's. They run so much cooler, and on bikes with standard charging systems, the low draw of LED is a big advantage.

BMW twins and fours have no issues, but the F/G650's would struggle with heated grips, PIAA lights and a vest around town.

Here's a link to the website, but better still call them. They actually answer the phone and are happy to talk to you about the best light for your bike.

http://clearwaterlights.com

There is a misconception here, and I say this as someone who has (and is currently) testing LEDs (Clearwaters, actually) professionally. And that is this:

Motolites are just housings which use MR16 bulbs. You can buy MR16 bulbs in halogen, OR IN LED. Millions of sources from speciality websites to your local Home Depot stock MR16 in LED flavor. Nothing is stopping Motolites from being used as LEDs except $20 in LED bulbs

Here is a picture of a 6W cool white LED I put in my friend's Motolites with the lens cap off so you can see what it looks like: f650led.jpg No worries - fits just like any other MR16. So let's not discount Motolites as halogen-only.

-MKL

Shouldn't you compare apples to apples? Clearwater uses a minimum of three led's and a proper reflector, not a single. The small Clearwater's put out from 800 over 2000 lumens each.

You're doing a bulb swap.

I was merely pointing out the fact that Motolites can use LED bulbs. In my testing of Motolites, Clearwater Glendas, and Darlas, my experience was these small units are primarily lights for conspicuity - being seen from the front. They are not serious players in terms of lighting up the road for the rider's visibility. And in that sense, the Motolites with 6W LEDs are pretty much on par from a distance to the small Clearwater lights, especially Glendas which are the weakest Clearwaters.

Where Clearwater lights excel is on the bigger models, like the Krista and Erica. I ran an Krista test for MCN a year ago, and am now testing Erica - you can probably see Erica from the surface of the moon. Total overkill for an on-road application, but without a doubt, those WILL light up the road in front of you, AND get you seen, in any application I can think of.

In the end it's all about what you want out of the lights. If for example a guy had Motolites and wanted primarily a conspicuity triangle, I wouldn't advocate trashing the Motolites and buying small Clearwaters. There simply isn't enough performance advantage to justify the outlay. Just buy some good 6+ watt MR16 LEDs for $25 and be done with it.

If however one wanted to light up the road in front of him, then surely, yes, a big set of LEDs like Krista or Erica will certainly do the trick. They are absolutely top notch, high quality products, and I have them on my own bike which is the highest endorsement I can give.

-MKL

PS - The LED Motolites in that picture above were from my friend Matt's 2005 F650. We went LED because the F's measly alternator couldn't handle the halogen load with other loads he had connected. He recently traded the F for a 90th Anniversary R1200R

r1200r-mainpic.jpg

and transferred the Motolites to that bike. It's a great bike, and he has the GS-style engine guard which would be a great place to mount more lights, if he wants to. However, he has indicated he is totally satisfied with his current Motolite setup as he generally does not ride at night.

jar_of_clay

Excellent summary of the available options. Thanks for the advice. I will look further into the clearwater LEDs, they sound like the best option for my purpose. Thanks for sharing your expertise. BTW, great looking bike!

Archived