IGNORED

Autocom "future"

johnlt

Since Tom went belly-up and Starcom bought the Autocom assets, what is the consensus on the future of the product. Are they continuing to update the units and support the units in the field or are they just sucking the cash out of it and plan for it to die. Hard to tell on this side of the pond. I've been a user for over 10 years and it has served me well and I'd really like for it to continue as a "premium" audio integration system.

Firefight911

I've wondered the same John. I have just started to consider an update/upgrade to my very old Autocom set up. I'll be watching this.

I do wonder if the likes of Sena is digging in to their thought process on a unit they bring to market.

Guest Kakugo

Tecstar (the makers of Starcom1) bought out Autocom (or what was left of it anyway) in 2009 or 2010. See here .

From what I understand they have been attempting to keep the brands separate, with Autocom as a higher end product and Starcom1 being offered as a more affordable alternative.

Since Autocom appears to have kept on product support for the last few years I wouldn't worry too much.

On the other side if you want the really best on the market... http://www.baehr.net/ (why can't I insert a link properly now? Worked until a second ago!). They even make BMW-specific systems, at a price of course. ;)

John Bentall

Hi Kakugo,

There are 38 Baehr dealers in Germany and 1 in the whole of the USA.

I see that Baehr are now agents for Sena.

To answer the OP. In the UK, Autocom is in fact the low margin product for Tecstar because it is sold through dealers/retailers who make their own profit margin, while Starcom is higher margin because it shipped from the factory. Starcom owners are left to struggle with the fitment with only remote support.

The new owners are electronics engineers who have spent considerable sums developing a new Bluetooth rider-to-pillion intercom.

Whether they will be able to stand the onslaught of the global players remains to be seen.

markgoodrich

John, I just bought and installed a new Autocom unit. I don't notice any significant (any) development, but support from the vendor, Rocketmoto.com, is superb.

I saw a bluetooth deal they are (going to) offer recently, fits in any helmet. Can't find the link right now. I am for the moment sticking with wired setup.

We have to be aware that Autocom USA and Autocom UK are two different things. Here in the US, the current distributor is still supporting the existing units and even the "Classic" series. Still active as far as I know is: http://autocomdirect.com

You can even find new Autocom cords etc. on ebay sold by dealers who have given up on getting a more current product.

Autocom UK is ahead of US as far as new products. I have no idea why they don't bring them here.

I got replacement cords for a customer from their area rep who is out of Utah a few months ago. I still have my system in the RT from 2005. Still working fine.

It does have limitations, no Bluetooth, no bike to bike for me anyway, I use it as a rider/passenger intercom with a wire to my cell for music.

I also have a Scala G9 that I use for when I solo ride. Then I get Bluetooth music, make and receive phone calls, use Siri for sending texts ,blah blah.

Autocom US has and has offered a Bluetooth headset adapter but it's too expensive for me. Yes, you can use Bluetooth dongles, but now were getting too buttony.

If one wants a basic rider passenger system that is Bluetooth and can use iTunes etc, with simple operation, Scala recently came out with the Q3 system in either single or dual headset.

The G9 admittedly is a bit complicated for a lot of riders technically challenged with its voice command and numerous features. The Q3 is much friendlier to use and of course, less cost.

With the new and cheaper ( better) stuff on the market why would anyone still screw with autocom crap. That's old school junk. Call American pickers they might want it.

No so. 10 years without a failure on a fully integrated GPS, MP3, XM, cell phone, radar, CB, GMRS, intercom. Never had to change a battery. May be "old school" but definitely not junk.

With the new and cheaper ( better) stuff on the market why would anyone still screw with autocom crap. That's old school junk. Call American pickers they might want it.

You might want to think twice before posting something that misguided, incorrect and rude. If you don't know what you're talking about, it might be best to just shut up.

Mikko

John Bentall

You might want to think twice before posting something that misguided, incorrect and rude. If you don't know what you're talking about, it might be best to just shut up.

Mikko

+1.

Who else appreciated the irony that Sena have had to develop an "Autocom-style" Integrator box - the SM10 - to do all the things that an Autocom can!

ElevenFifty

+2 as I am also a long term user of that wired 'junk'. But then ... who here hasn't inserted foot into mouth once or twice ;~) Starcom has provided us with great service since 2006, but the SM10 has me thinking that bluetooth might be in my future.

SIDEBAR: Old style PS2 Keyboard cables work great as Starcom headset extension cables and cost about $5.00

Jerry in Monument

For myself now riding a K1600GTL and having used Sena products since 2011, I am switching to Autocom.

This morning I purchased a 3 year old Autocom SPA (software updated last year) from a BMWMOA member so I should have it in a few days.

While the Sena BT and lack of wires (other than charging while riding) there are things that just aren't meeting my needs, thus pushing me to Autocom.

Jerry in Monument
+2 as I am also a long term user of that wired 'junk'. But then ... who here hasn't inserted foot into mouth once or twice ;~) Starcom has provided us with great service since 2006, but the SM10 has me thinking that bluetooth might be in my future.

SIDEBAR: Old style PS2 Keyboard cables work great as Starcom headset extension cables and cost about $5.00

Having used an SM10 since last summer, think long and hard about this. You need to mount it where it is accessible so you can manually turn it off/on as it is not capable of auto sensing and would require a hardware redesign, which Sena has no intention of, according to Sena tech support.

Jerry in Monument

Mikko

+1.

Who else appreciated the irony that Sena have had to develop an "Autocom-style" Integrator box - the SM10 - to do all the things that an Autocom can!

From my use of the SM10 since last summer and reading/talking with Autocom users, the SM10 does not match Autocom.

Thus why I just bought an Autocom SPA.

What I appreciate with my current wired system, I do nothing. When I turn the bike on, it is on and ready to go. No charging needed, no pairing needed, no on/off switch needed. It's just "there" always.

Jerry in Monument

Those are some of the reasons I'm moving to Autocom.

Imagine my frustration when I go out to my K1600 and:

1. It's been a few days since I rode last and the SM10 battery is dead. This means a minimum of 30-45 minutes charging the SM10 before it will even turn on, or:

2. I forgot to turn off the SM10 after the last ride and the battery is dead and.......

BTW - Both SMH10's and the SM10 are current with their respective firmware updates. The SM10 is current at v1.1 from October 2012

Having used an SM10 since last summer, think long and hard about this. You need to mount it where it is accessible so you can manually turn it off/on as it is not capable of auto sensing and would require a hardware redesign, which Sena has no intention of, according to Sena tech support.
Interesting ...their GMRS/FRS capable SR10 does have autosense. I have it hard wired to a keyed source and it turns on/off with the ignition switch. I've found the combination of Sena SR10 and SMH10R to function quite well integrating GPS/MP3/Bike to Bike/Phone and Radar.
Jerry in Monument

Right about the SR10.

The SM10 is a different and apparently different animal. I have the SM10 mounted under my seat, connected to my PDM60 with a USB cable fashioned by Adam at Rocket Moto. It does charge while riding, but then needs to be manually shut off when done riding. Pain in the rear to have to take off the seat, switch off/on, replace seat.

I know, move it to some place accessible.

Ok, then it out where theft or vandalism can occur or I have to disconnect the 3 cables and stow it somewhere.

Not the easy, low interface system I was hoping for.

Then there are the use issues of dropped connections, loss of intercom after 2-3 uses, stopping to reconnect all the BT devices, etc.

Yes, your situation is less than ideal and you'll be definitely better served with the Autocom.

I ride solo, so no intercom issues. The Zumo and the SR10 pair automatically with the SMH10R at start up so its mostly hands off. Just get on and ride. Its not totally foolproof as occasionally the Zumo pairs in mono mode instead of stereo. But, for me, not having to wires far outweighs the occasional issue.

Archived