IGNORED

R1150RT tankbag options.

Hermes

My OEM tankbag for the above has had it. I am looking for a practical replacement bag (non OEM). Most bags I see advertised have magnetic holders, which of course don't work on the plastic tank, and as far as the ones with straps are concerned, I just don't know if they will properly attach to the bike. What would you recommend?

Thanks Jurgen

Here is the method I used to attach my tank bag. It was stable as well as easy on easy off.

I used a Cortech, but the specific bag is unimportant since this method of securing should work with most strap type bags.

orig.jpg

On the front of the tank there are threaded holes that make great attachment points.

orig.jpg

Here is where I attached the back straps:

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

To make the holes in the straps use a soldering or wood burning iron. This will make a nice hole and fuse the edges so nothing will unravel.

When not in use I just left the front ones where they were. They were too short to interfere. I'd lift the seat and lay the back ones on top of the air filter lid when not in use for an extended period.

Fueling with this system was very easy. I would disconnect only the rear snaps, lift the bag enough to unlock the fuel door, and then set the bag on the opened fuel door. This would allow you to easily fuel up without having to remove the bag. Once finished it was a simple matter to snap the rear straps back in place.

I used this bag on my 1150RT for the 9 years I owned it. The straps aren't bad. The front two form a loop and connect easilty to the frame going through the opening in front of the handle bars. The third strap in the read connects to the seat adjuster. The bag went through a lot of weather over the years and held up well. The only issue I ever had was the clear plastic over the map page. It cracked in the Texas heat after a few years. Richard replaced it for free as lifetime guarantee. Should take you a whopping 5 minutes to install. The straps have soft padding underneath to protect the paint. There were no scratches on my tank when I sold the bike.

http://www.rka-luggage.com/A02%20Tankbags/163%20Build%20sheet/163%20Build%20Sheet.html

peterbulgar

I've been very happy with a Bags Connection clip on tank bag for my Suzuki DL650 that I purchased from Twisted Throttle. The Twisted Throttle site will have several options for your RT. However, you will need the ring that attaches to the gas cap, and by the time you add the cost all up, you may be in stock BMW replacement territory.

peter

I recommend you find a used Big Mak.

big_mak_re_fuel.jpg

Floats above your filler cap. Tips up for filling. Easy, peasy.

If you are able to find a Big Mak bag and use it; be careful of the bag coming down on the hinged gas cap when fueling, it'll snap the cap in half quick. It doesn't take much to break that casting at the hinged point. DAMHIKT.

Great bag, plenty of room. Too bad they're not in production.

ElevenFifty

++++ on Big Mak. You can also use other bags on a Big Mak mount. Just snap the magnet 'wings' together and they form the channel that the Mak mount slides into. The way the mount tilts up to allow fueling is just superb. I still use my old faded Big Mak bag because of the pear shape that is narrowest at the front of the bag ... stays out of the way of the handlebars.

I've also found the bag to be amazingly waterproof since losing my rain cover a couple of years ago. I keep camera, phone, in baggies but nothing has gotten wet inside the bag despite many hours in the rain.

Archived