IGNORED

secure cargo net?

Bmr Deacon

I need to secure my tent, camp chair and sleeping pad on the pillion in front of the topbox. I've been using a standard cargo net for the last few years but I'm always concerned about someone lifting my gear when I leave the bike unattended for any reason.

Does anyone know of a cargo net that is perhaps lockable and made of some sort of material that is still elastic but not readily cuttable?

Hi Bmr Deacon,

have you tried these guys?

The pac safe mesh isn't exactly elastic, but appears to be adjustable

to some degree with the securing cable.

Otherwise, it seems to fit the bill.

Maybe they do one in a suitable size for your gear.

Hello Ian,

Thank you for the referral. This looks like it will do nicely and REI carries the product. I have an REI close to my house.

You might consider buying a motorcycle cover and just turning your motorcycle into an uninteresting lump when parked. I have used this strategy for years without a problem. If you are relying on a secure cargo net for security you may find that frustrated thieves resort to vandalism. :mad: For added security you could add an alarm.

The Pacsafe is so easily defeated with wire cutters that I question its cost effectiveness. I like BoisePilot's suggestion of security by obscurity. That said, in 50+ years of riding, I have never had anything stolen from a parked motorcycle.

May main concern with the security net is to keep basically honest people honest. I would never leave the bike unattended for more than a few minutes with the gear on it. I try to do at least a weeklong camping trip each year staying in a different place each night. I typically bring all I need with me but if I stay out longer than originally planned and need additional supplies it would be nice to be able to slip into a store and pick up what I need. I usually eat breakfast and dinner in camp but have lunch on the road. I try to find places to eat that have windows where I can keep an eye on the bike for the few minutes that I'm inside. During those times it would be nice to have a bit of security.

I put my chair, mat and tent in a plastic garbage bag so they aren't visible but carrying a cover with me and covering the bike for short periods when it's hot from the ride just isn't feasible.

You may be right. The security net might just draw attention while the standard garbage bag cargo net combination that I've been using might just send the message that there is nothing in there worth stealing.

I haven't had anything stolen off any of my bikes yet either probably because I watch like a hawk and don't stay in any one place very long.

I have one of those pac safe nets. I'll be honest and say that it spends most of its time stored in the back bedroom... but I have used it on longer trips. Mostly for times when I find myself in a less than stellar neighborhood, or it needs to be unattended for reasons beyond my control (like if I get sick, or the bike breaks down, or what-have-you).

I usually have a duffel bag on the pillion seat, and what works out well for me, is to use that pac safe as a liner inside the duffel. The cable comes out the zipper and attaches to the bike somewhere. This accomplishes two things. #1 it keeps the wires from scratching up the bike. And #2 it makes it a little less obvious to people who might be motivated by seeing the mesh (expecting that there must really be something worth stealing in there).

I don't really expect that pac-safe to foil the determined thief. But it will slow anyone down, and that's the goal, because sooner or later I need to use the restroom, buy some groceries, etc. etc....

Archived