IGNORED

city case cover question

BeemerChris

Guest Kakugo

These are quite popular here.

There used to be an Italian firm which offered even slimmer covers, made in aluminum, but they seem to have stopped offering them.

Will post a link if I find them again.

Chris, what year/model bike do you have? that will make a difference. I have a set of city lids that will fit R1100RT and R1150RT. And will be glad to sell them cheap. When I use my panniers, I need all the room I can get.

The factory ones ... Go HERE and select your bike and locate the appropriate schematic that will give you the proper part #. Then just put that # into google and you'll find several online BMW stores to order from.

I have them on both my R1100S and K1200RS . Don't like the "hippo hips" look and can live with the much reduced storage.

The factory ones ... Go HERE and select your bike and locate the appropriate schematic that will give you the proper part #. Then just put that # into google and you'll find several online BMW stores to order from.

I have them on both my R1100S and K1200RS . Don't like the "hippo hips" look and can live with the much reduced storage.

Hippo hips - me neither.

I have city lids on my RSL.

142647410.jpg

BeemerChris

I have a 2006 R1200rt so the 1150 covers aren't going to work (bummer)

I'm located in the USA and I've seen cases here for $305 for both sides complete with mounting hardware, which seems to be about 1/2 of the price of the stock pieces.

Has anyone had experience with these cases?

City Lids 1

Or these?

City lids 2

There is no mention of the manufacturer so they may be the same lids. Does anyone know?

No experience with them, but they do look the same. Interestingly, same item on EBay from non-BMW store. Leads me to believe not OEM.

On the other hand, following what I posted, I can't find where BMW makes an OEM city lid for the System II case, which I found strange. There is no reference at all in the parts fiche across multiple bikes that use System II. Soooooooo, what you've found may be the only thing that's available in the U.S. even if it might be from China.

Yes, those are aftermarket lids. The supplier brand escapes me but I had a sample in my hand a couple years ago. The distrubutor came by hoping we would stock them.

They are maybe a hair less rigid than say the R1150 type city lids as a comparison. Would not be floppy or cheap at all.

I have city bags on my 1100RT so I'm a fan of the slimmer bags.

It would have no problem recommending these to a friend.

Like the 1150's you can install them with screw and locknut so you can switch back and forth. I wouldn't trust the quicker pin type hardware they have for the 11-1150 type but to each his own.

BeemerChris

Thank you tri

By the way I think we did a track day at buttonwillow with the zrxoa about a decade ago. Was that you?

BeemerChris
It still is! Good to see you Chris!

Sold the ZRX for 18 mo. Bought it back!

Cool cool, great to see you!

Thanks for sharing your experience with the case covers. I'm going to order a set based on your feedback, I really appreciate that.

Let's ride soon!

• 1 month later...
BeemerChris

Case covers received, fit disappointing.

1 replacement cover received and installed. Fit still sucks.

returning all three cases.

On another note went with the Metzeler tires as recommended by TRI750 and I'm in love. Bike is just a little bit less stable on center but much quicker steering and excellent side grip.

WINNING!

• 1 month later...

Not sure what brand you got the first time.

Saw that Hornig from Germany makes some.

Keith at Creative Cycle Concepts can order for you. Give him a ring. Great guy.

There is a Utube vid of them.

• 4 weeks later...
BeemerChris
Not sure what brand you got the first time.

Saw that Hornig from Germany makes some.

Keith at Creative Cycle Concepts can order for you. Give him a ring. Great guy.

There is a Utube vid of them.

Looks like a great fit. I appreciate that you install the case, close the latch, then drill the holes. Seems like a solid recipe for a great fit. I think I'll order them this week. Tri750, I'll tell Keith you sent me.

Archived