IGNORED

Mixing Brands of Heated Gear

Deltamark

Hello all,

I have a first generation Warm and Safe heated jacket and a pair of Gerbings G3 heated gloves. The gloves never worked when connecting them to the jacket. I did properly connect the cables that are in the jacket pocket as included in the instructions, but no luck. I use a Gerbings single controller on one bike and a Warm and Safe single controller on my other bike. Still the same result. Heat in the jacket but not the gloves. I communicated with a Gerbings rep and Warm & Safe, but wasn't able to get an answer. Has anyone else experienced this issue or have any suggestions? Planning to take trip soon and it's likely gonna be cold!

Thanks,

Mark

I have the same combo. I do use a dual controller though so the jacket & the gloves both plug in separately. Did you swap the connection in the jacket where you can make it so the gloves are on the same wire loop as the jacket or on their own? You want them on the same loop. I use a dual controller because I find I need less heat on the gloves than I do on the jacket so my hands would be roasting otherwise.

Hello all,

I have a first generation Warm and Safe heated jacket and a pair of Gerbings G3 heated gloves. The gloves never worked when connecting them to the jacket. I did properly connect the cables that are in the jacket pocket as included in the instructions, but no luck. I use a Gerbings single controller on one bike and a Warm and Safe single controller on my other bike. Still the same result. Heat in the jacket but not the gloves. I communicated with a Gerbings rep and Warm & Safe, but wasn't able to get an answer. Has anyone else experienced this issue or have any suggestions? Planning to take trip soon and it's likely gonna be cold!

Thanks,

Mark

Some heated clothing won't work with other heated clothing. But Gerbing's will work fine with Warm 'NSafe. Your problem is that you're using the single controller. You need a dual controller.

Both Gerbings and Warm'NSafe wire their jackets with a dual circuit. One circuit is for the jacket. The second circuit goes directly to the glove plugs on the sleeves. This way, when using the dual controller, you can heat the jacket to one temperature to meet the needs of your core (heart and lungs), and you can heat your hands/gloves (which are usually out in the cold air flow), to a different temperature. This independent control gives you greater flexibility in ensuring you're properly warm all over.

When you use only a single controller, you're only sending power to the jacket. No power is getting to the gloves because no power is connected to that circuit. Switch to a dual controller and all will be well.

As an alternative, Gerbing's offers a Y-Splitter that lets you connect the two circuits in the jacket, down to a single circuit. Using the Y-splitter means that you can run both circuits off just a single controller. However you will be giving up the individual temperature controls. If you crank up the gloves, the jacket gets hotter, too. Same when you want to turn one or the other down.

It's your call. But if you're interested in the Gerbing's Dual Controller, PM me. I might have a brand-new one that I could be coaxed into selling at a reasonable price.

UNless you have the old style Gerbings?

Both of our gloves (2 styles of G's) work just fine plugged in the jacket sleeve connectors.

Sometimes progress is...

;)

When you use only a single controller, you're only sending power to the jacket. No power is getting to the gloves because no power is connected to that circuit.
That may be the case with a Gerbings jacket but not with a Warm & Safe one. In the W&S there is an "accessory" pocket on the inside left lower corner of the liner below the label. If you unzip that you'll find 2 wires - one with a male & the other with a female connector. When they are unattached like that the circuit for the gloves & the one for the jacket are separate and need a dual-controller. Plug them together and a single controller will heat both the jacket & the gloves. I just verified that in the garage. I use a dual controller (a Gerbings in fact) because I run the jacket warmer/higher than the gloves. Other people report needing to do the opposite.

You can also find this in the W&S instructions under the heading: If using a Single Heat-troller to control jacket or jacket and gloves together. Here's a link to a downloadable version of the instructions that come with the jacket. It's for the Gen4 jackets but it's the same for the Gen3 ones too.

When you use only a single controller, you're only sending power to the jacket. No power is getting to the gloves because no power is connected to that circuit.
That may be the case with a Gerbings jacket but not with a Warm & Safe one. In the W&S there is an "accessory" pocket on the inside left lower corner of the liner below the label. If you unzip that you'll find 2 wires - one with a male & the other with a female connector. When they are unattached like that the circuit for the gloves & the one for the jacket are separate and need a dual-controller. Plug them together and a single controller will heat both the jacket & the gloves. I just verified that in the garage. I use a dual controller (a Gerbings in fact) because I run the jacket warmer/higher than the gloves. Other people report needing to do the opposite.

You can also find this in the W&S instructions under the heading: If using a Single Heat-troller to control jacket or jacket and gloves together. Here's a link to a downloadable version of the instructions that come with the jacket. It's for the Gen4 jackets but it's the same for the Gen3 ones too.

In that case I stand corrected WRT Warm'NSafe Jacket Liners.

Archived