IGNORED

Ape bars

UberXY

How do you turn a motorcycle with ape bars?

I've been riding for 35 years, including a few years of racing vintage widow-maker two-strokes in WERA. For me the primary component for turning a motorcycle is rider weight shifting.

I see a guy locally almost every day riding an HD (surprise!) with giant apes. I sat behind him at a light this morning and could see that his handgrips were even with his ears. Not only does that seem really uncomfortable, I just don't see how he turns the bike at speeds over 20. He can't shift his body mass, can't shift his weight from peg to peg, and he's in a really awkward position for counter steering.

Have you ridden with ape hangers? Can you do the mountain roads we all love, or are you confined to interstates and in-town slow speeds?

I'm just curious, not condemning, because my hat is off to this guy for riding in single digit weather in leathers.

Never rode ape hangers. Seems like it might take a little getting used to. But it doesn't strike me as being completely obtuse. I would guess it'd take around the block a couple times to get the basic program.

Perhaps I misunderstood you - but you really should master countersteering. No weight shifting required, and much better control of the bike.

That guy with the ape hangers probably sits perfectly still, and uses countersteering to get around.

I took a spin on a friends Road Glide with what I'd guess you'd call, mini apes. He swears by them, I didn't feel the love.

Pat

Sat on one once. Felt weird, as if I'd have to stand on the pegs to turn it. But, I never rode one, so I can't say for sure.

I rode a Harley Crossbones with something like 18' apes. It wasn't really any different to steer that any other bike or should I say any bike with no ground clearance and a archaic springer front end. What was somewhat unnerving for me was the flex in the bars when I made a steering input. The guy who owned the bike says he didn't notice the flex but it was very pronounced for me. Definitely not for me.

you don't have to steer when you are sitting at the local bar having every one say how cool you are!! Those types don't give 2 terds about how hard it is to ride as long as the cool factor is there

Chris

Watch the bar ends on an H-D with ape hangers. If the rider takes his hands off the grips at idle, the bar ends start to blur and then make some pretty interesting oscillations. Can you say "metal fatigue"?

p

markgoodrich

Body position doesn't turn the bike. Hanging off, or even moving your head, does change center of mass, which affects the amount of lean angle necessary to complete a given arc, but a bike turns via countersteering (at anything above walking speed). "Push left to go left, push right to go right" is the mantra at riding schools, meaning push the left bar with your left hand to go left, and vice versa. It is not something one might even notice, but that's what does it. There are many excellent technical explanations online or in books such as Lee Parks' or Nick Ienatsch's, etc. Hanging out into the direction of turn is an excellent plan, as noted above it reduces lean angle, keeping more tire surface in touch with pavement. The ape guy is still countersteering. I promise.

Urban Surfer

I rode a honda 750 many years ago. A good friend of mine had crashed his bike, so he changed some things when he put it back together to look cool of course.

Extended front end, ( raked out I think the turm was), ape hangers, and straight pipes.

If this had of been my first introduction to motorcycles, I probably would never have ridden one again.

you don't have to steer when you are sitting at the local bar having every one say how cool you are!! Those types don't give 2 terds about how hard it is to ride as long as the cool factor is there

Chris

+1 :rofl:

It's not the bike, it's the rider. I watched two guys with ape hangers roaring through turns in the Colorado mountains. They had no trouble and obviously much experience. It's not my choice, but to each their own.

Archived