IGNORED

Body Armor

Abbey

I wear body armor under my jacket, however it's hot and a bit uncomfortable. I was thinking about spending the big bucks for a Force Field Pro Shirt. Anyone wear one? Thanks.

All the advice I can give is that it's better to sweat than to bleed.

The force field shirt looks like a typical kind of dual sport exoskeleton thing, I have a similar one for riding around in the summer on the little bike, but generally, I just sweat it out and wear a regular armored suit.

Joe Frickin' Friday
I wear body armor under my jacket, however it's hot and a bit uncomfortable. I was thinking about spending the big bucks for a Force Field Pro Shirt. Anyone wear one? Thanks.

It looks like you were thinking of wearing the FFP shirt without anything over it, but the FFP shirt doesn't appear to offer any abrasion resistance. Instead, you might want to consider a mesh jacket with built-in body armor, as it will offer some abrasion resistance. There are plenty out there, but I like my Olympia Airglide.

doesn't appear to offer any abrasion resistance.
That's always been my issue with using something like Bohn body armor - great that it cushions the first impact but 30 feet down the road your blue jeans are shredded and I'd expect their fabric is toast as well so as you bounce around after that you've got no protection at all.

having crashed more than once, I wear the body armor under the jacket and will continue to do so, Currently I've got the hard plastic stuff more appropriate for off road riding. Although I don't like the idea of dropping 3 bills for the Force Field Pro Shirt, I figure it's got to be more comfortable than the other stuff

Revzilla has 32 reviews as well as a video. They also have an excellent return policy if you get it and find it just isn't what you wanted once you try it on.

You might want to look at the tekvest

originally designed for the snowmobilers but it now making its way into the atv/motorcycle field.I have switched over and will probably not go back to the skeletal protectors.

The main thing I like about them is the full rib coverage and the armor within is vented.There is also a compartment in the back for a hydration bladder.

The only drawback for me is they do not have elbow protection so you need elbow pads.

I often wear it without a jacket but if I was to use with a jacket I would probably remove the shoulder pads or buy one of the models without and use the shoulder and elbow pads in a well vented jacket like one of the klim jackets.

Here is a pic take last year,I fill it out pretty well. :cry:

IMG_0560-L.jpg

This pic from last year of one of my skinny friends that wears a Klim version of a tek vest under his Klim jacket with shoulder and elbow pads on and off road

He is the one on the left

IMG_0312-L.jpg

They make several different versions of this jacket.

Big-T, I wore the same Tek-Vest for two seasons. The factory is just down the road from where I live so I wanted to support a local shop. That model has been discontinued and replaced by one that better supports a neck brace. I was surprised to learn on selling mine (sold the KLX ), that it was one of the few vests sanctioned by a national snowmobile racing group. While Tek-Vests tend to be pricey I think there's value there for the money.

CoarsegoldKid

My 8 year old First Gear mesh jacket had excellent shoulder and elbow armor. I had an aftermarket back protector put in it. I really like it for summer. I've recently taken to off-road riding. I figured I'd fall down some. Before entering the dirty stuff I bought an Alpinstars mesh system that has back, chest, shoulder armor. My pants have the d30 knee and hip armor. I got a vented jacket is one size larger to accommodate all the bulk. Hotter yes. I've begun to wonder why I'm not wearing the same stuff riding the RT. I can only come up with fashion trends dictate what we wear.

The problem I see with the Force Field Pro Shirt and additional armor like this is the 'ride up'. Had a freind that went down last year, not a bad fall, but bad enough to send him sliding. His jacket wasn't zipped into his pant. While the armor did it's job on impact, the jacket rode up and exposed his lower back and left side. I'm sure you're getting the mental picture here. Had it been zipped in that likely wouldn't have happened.

Any additional protection is worth it's weight in gold...if it stays in place and fits properly. The Force Field Pro Shirt is little more than a special shirt with armor, it isn't secure at the bottom so once it meets sheer force resistance, the armor slides up exposing previously covered body parts.

If something like this came in a one piece rig like a shorty wet suit for scuba, I would be all over it. Until then, I'll live with the sweat and heat.

my two cents

Dan

-Dan

I've never zipped the jacket to the pants, but after your story I will. I'm going to order the Pro Shirt and see how it works. Thanks

Archived