IGNORED

Stereo and speaker use with Autocom

Michelangelo

Michelangelo

1996 R1100RT

The bike has the helmet speakers and it has an Autocomm system. It does not have the front fairing speakers. I've only done a couple of trips with it and just plug my mp3 payer into my helmet speakers to play music.

But with wife going on a trip this summer I want to get the most out of the Autocomm and have a few questions.

1. Can we play music through the Autocom and will it mute itself when we start talking to eachother?

2. In order to hook up speakers in the fairing and play them through them do I need to buy and install some sort of separate stereo head unit?

3. What other options am I missing with the Autocom that it might do for us?

You should mention the model of Autocom, as some have different functions.

The common models, the Kit 200, 300 have 3 leads coming from the control box. Ignore the gray one.

You need Autocom headsets by the way.

The longer lead goes to rider headset, short to pass headset.

On some models, the system switches on only when the rider headset is plugged in.

(You can find the instructions online)

So if the box is battery powered, you may not need headset extensions of the box is in a pocket or tank bag. If bike powered, you will as the box is normally mounted under the seat.

Once both headsets are plugged in, you'll have to adjust the "squelch" or how much noise it takes to break the mic. Too little, and the mic will always be triggered and you'll hear every breath or whisker scratch. Too much, and you'll have to yell to break the mic. It takes a few tries to find the correct level.

The adjuster is either a "D" shaped knob or a screw in the battery compartment and Its extremely touchy. A hair goes a long way.

You can plug a wired MP3 in to music input and yes, when you talk, music shuts off, you talk, and after a couple seconds of silence, it fades back in.

So supply the model number for specific details and it it's battery or bike powered please.

Please don't bother with fairing mounted speakers. They will be ineffective at freeway speed.

If you have the box mounted under the seat, really watch for pinched cords as they will short causing sporadic noise.

On our Autocom the short lead is rider, long is passenger.

It is easy enough to add ear buds or helmet speakers to pillion

gear.

Ours mutes or lowers volume as needed to allow communication or hear input from GPS etc.

some autocom boxes are pretty long in the tooth by now, originally the rider cord was the long one but cords can be changed when pinched.

<<

Riders Headset Lead

1200mm long for connecting to the rider’s headset.

Passengers Headset Lead

800mm long for connecting to the passenger’s headset.>>

to go from the autocom 7 pin to the 3mm stereo female for earbuds etc. I don't know what adapter would work that would incorporate the mic.

again, it may depend on the model each person has.

Wow, that would sure work but you would have to really be a fan of ear buds to use it I think.

You would put the earbuds in, put helmet on, plug in earbuds then the 7 pin for the mic to work.

That's the thing about buds, either you love um or hate um. Thanks for showing me that cord. No idea they ever made that.

The Autocom speakers are really good too. I prefer them to the Scala G9 I have as well.

We just unplug from the Autocom lead.

That leaves the cord w/adapto and earbuds connected, easy to store.

To ride just put in earbuds, we both use a skull cap variation that keeps helmet cleaner and reduces contact w/earbuds.

Helmet slips on easily.

I have a couple newer Autocoms that I removed from bikes being sold at a dealership, but, we continue to enjoy the old Pro 7 (I think) when riding.

No issues w/sound/connectivity etc.

Many have moved to cordless, and that arena has advanced considerably over the years.

For now, we'll stay old school.

Best wishes.

Pro 7 is the one I have in the RT!

Been there since 2005! Still use it for 2 up which unfortunately isn't often any more. Wired mp3

For solo, I have the Scala G9 that's awesome.

Bluetooth to the iPhone to get my playlists, MotionX GPS App, receive calls when I choose to, I've even dabbled in sending texts by voice using Siri.

The G9 is good but for basic rider- passenger with music Bluetooth, they have the newer Q3 setup that's easier to operate and a good chunk less $ for is low tech people.

markgoodrich

Answers to your questions:

1. Yes, you can talk to each other and yes the music automatically mutes and then comes back.

2. Yes, you would need a whole stereo system, and then you wouldn't be able to hear it.

3. look up Rocketmoto.com, call them, and get their advice, which is free and excellent. Autocom offers a headset with a 3.5mm jack in the helmet, a better solution than the old leads with boxes.Buy the new bits from them so when you have a problem you can call Adam and he will walk you through troubleshooting. We do NOT use the Autocom speakers, which are almost useless for sound (open the plastic thing that makes them look so big and you'll find something the size of a quarter) Get good earphones, ones that isolate sound (there are many brands, my current use is Etymotic HF5s with Comply eartips). You will probably want the "open face helmet" accessory for your wife; pillions get more wind into their helmets than riders. Send me a PM or email with what you need and I'll paw through my box of stuff left over from a Kit 200 Duo, including the base unit.

4. You didn't ask this, but be prepared to fool with it a lot, or to accept less than perfect operation. We've put more than 100,000 miles on bikes with the Autocoms and wouldn't be without them, but they can be a PITA. I'm going through problems now with a new system I put on my new K1600GT. And remember, you're listening to MP3s, which already suck, and then you don't have much of an amplifier, and your earphones are working in an environment that is already over 100 decibels, so high fidelity is not really an option. I'll stick with the Autocom, though, until the bluetooth stuff has been around longer, and lasts as long as my riding days.

The best thing about Autocom versus all the others, in my opinion, is the side tone, i.e. you hear your own voice, like an old fashioned telephone.

Okay, now you know how to build a watch....

And remember, you're listening to MP3s, which already suck, and then you don't have much of an amplifier, and your earphones are working in an environment that is already over 100 decibels, so high fidelity is not really an option. I'll stick with the Autocom, though, until the bluetooth stuff has been around longer, and lasts as long as my riding days.

The best thing about Autocom versus all the others, in my opinion, is the side tone, i.e. you hear your own voice, like an old fashioned telephone.

I agree that it's not reasonable to expect truly great sound while riding. However, the bluetooth options might be closer to what you want than you realize. While most of what I listen to from my phone is in mp3 format, some of my music is in the lossless FLAC format. FLAC sounds much better at a stop, but the difference is less noticeable on the road. I've listened to GPS, music and audiobooks on my Sena SMH10 for as long as 12 hours a day on a single charge. If the battery had died, I could have plugged in the charge cable and continued listening as it charged. And sidetone is now available on the Sena with the current (upgradeable) software.

markgoodrich
And remember, you're listening to MP3s, which already suck, and then you don't have much of an amplifier, and your earphones are working in an environment that is already over 100 decibels, so high fidelity is not really an option. I'll stick with the Autocom, though, until the bluetooth stuff has been around longer, and lasts as long as my riding days.

I agree that it's not reasonable to expect truly great sound while riding. However, the bluetooth options might be closer to what you want than you realize. While most of what I listen to from my phone is in mp3 format, some of my music is in the lossless FLAC format. FLAC sounds much better at a stop, but the difference is less noticeable on the road. I've listened to GPS, music and audiobooks on my Sena SMH10 for as long as 12 hours a day on a single charge. If the battery had died, I could have plugged in the charge cable and continued listening as it charged. And sidetone is now available on the Sena with the current (upgradeable) software.

Good info, Larry, thanks. I was basing my bluetooth/mp3 sound quality comments on the difference I hear on my home stereo and my high end car stereo. mp3 is fine until you listen to the same music on a CD...but I'm splitting hairs, given the motorcycle environment. I figure by the time I change bikes again, the wireless deal will be fully developed....

• 1 month later...
Michelangelo

The Autocomm that came with the bike is an EASI-7. From the little control box under the seat it has a MUSIC and an AUX output They lead to plugs up near the gauge cluster.

I have also figured out how the two sets of speakers plug in but still a few questions:

1. Is there a way to manual adjust the sound or input or output or anything on this system? I didn't see a screw dial or anything on the control box unless I'm missing it or it's hidden?

2. What is the difference with the AUX and MUSIC plugs? I imagine I can plug in my MP3 or phone into the MUSIC plug. How is the AUX used, radar detector...cell?

I am going to try out the stock speakers that came with the bike and see how they work. If I get aftermarket ones how do they plug into the Autocomm wiring? It looks like these Autocomm speakers have a left and right small type pin plug.

Archived