IGNORED

Top Case: 28 liter vs 49 liter for passenger comfort

Mr Breeze

I've got the 2014 RT and am looking at the 28 liter and 49 liter top cases. Besides the obvious storage capacity differences and the subjective look between the two cases (if anyone has any pics of the RT with the 28 liter on it, I'd appreciate seeing) I'm wondering if there is any difference in passenger comfort between the two? When I had my K1600 GTL, I rarely run with the top case - only when carrying the wife, and that was maybe 10% of the time - so the price difference between the 49 and 28 liter is significant when it really is just a glorified backrest. (I use a dry bag on the passenger seat/rack when touring so the extra space isn't that big of a factor, more about cost, passenger comfort and vainly speaking...the look.

Opinions, experiences, suggestions appreciated.

Thanks!

The 49L top case is very nice, holds a lot but to me, is very heavy. Double walled, heavy.

The 28 holds a decent amount. The contour is for most, fine. For some odd reason, not all parts or Accy brochures show the optional backrest pad for it. You have to look up the 28L for the R1200ST to find the overpriced pad. 71607693672

Or, have an upholstery guy make one up to suit your passenger.

If you do just need a stand alone backrest, Sargent seats and I'm sure others carry the RCU Backrests. I've also done a lot with Bakup Backrests. They are adjustable for height and angle, still about 400.00 and they list one for the new models. http://www.bakupusa.com/bmw_models.html

Guest Kakugo

I have a friend who has fit exactly the same top box to each of his bikes since 1996 (and he's had a few) because that box is the most comfortable backrest for his wife. So comfortable, in fact, she often falls asleep. ;)

It's a big 62 liter box from Givi, long discontinued. I had one as well, but sold it with the bike.

A cheaper alternative to the very expensive BMW box would be something from Givi, Shad or other aftermarket manufacturers. The Givi has the best back rest of the lot.

I like the look and the price of the Givi, but looks like you need to mount their bracket onto the stock luggage rack - not a problem if the top box is left on the bike, but I run only the side cases most often, so I'd be looking at a Givi bracket most of the time?

Clive Liddell

I was just perusing the (downloaded) 2014 Riders Manual and I was disappointed to note that the BMW Top Case is attached by a system whereby one needs to remove all the contents of the case as well as the rear seat to R&R the Case.

It may well be a very secure attachment but defeats the way I use Top, and Side, cases. ie, Arrive fully loaded at holiday site - clip off all cases and carry them into the accommodation. The same applies after shopping - carry cases in and unload into cupboards/fridges.

I was just perusing the (downloaded) 2014 Riders Manual and I was disappointed to note that the BMW Top Case is attached by a system whereby one needs to remove all the contents of the case as well as the rear seat to R&R the Case.

It may well be a very secure attachment but defeats the way I use Top, and Side, cases. ie, Arrive fully loaded at holiday site - clip off all cases and carry them into the accommodation. The same applies after shopping - carry cases in and unload into cupboards/fridges.

Get liners and leave the tupperware on the bike.

Yea, you need liners! Hauling all that heavy crap around is hard on the paint too!

True, made for liners like Cee Baileys are great, but even soft gym bags beat clanging around the bags.

The 28L version looks better than the 49L, in my opinion, and functions well as a passenger backrest. Its shape is such that no added pad is really necessary, particularly if the passenger's riding jacket already has a back pad.

287er9s.jpg

[/img]

I have the 49. I dont care about the looks (although i think it looks pretty good). Both my wife and I love the extra storage. Both of our full face helmets fit side by side. My wife feels much comfort and feels very secure/safe, she might have the same feeling with the smaller case but dont know for sure, never had one. Check "looks" off of your con list and focus on the practical.

Picture taken near Hogan Lake in Northern California, the Gold Country.

Norm LeFevre

A little off topic. Has anyone seen the city case panels? I had a set on my 1100RT, and they were great for general use. For longer trips, I changed back to the wider side bags.

Initially, the bags came with the covers riveted to the base, and the rivets had to be drilled out to remove them and replace them with bolt sets.

I've noticed that my new RT is kind of "hippy", and the city case sides might slim her down a bit, and look cool as well. Interesting that the side cases (stock) have bolts and not rivets.

Back on topic... I've ordered the 28l top case and am getting it painted to match the bike.

Archived