IGNORED

Wiring GPS: found switched wire reading 17 volts?!?

CMikeWil

Okay, I'm at a loss here. I have an 04 R1150RT and want to wire in a GPS(Garmin 52). I've done some searching, and see a couple of suggestions to use the (currently unused) radio harness just below the dash. I've pulled the plastic and found the harness. Looks to me like there is a neutral wire, a constant 12 volt wire, and two additional hot wires that are switched. My intent was to use the switched lead.

My volt meter reads 17 volts when I turn on the key. What is the deal here? How can a 12 volt battery show 17? No doubt some German magic going on here; I'd simply like to understand it.

Will the cord/auto adapter to my Garmin "step this down"? I'd really prefer to use the switched power for the GPS. Was thinking id run the constant 12 volt lead to a female auto/cigarette adapter inside the storage bin for purposes of charging a cell phone.

Afternoon Mike

No neutral on your DC system so I have no idea what you found there.

The wire you want at the radio connector is the violet/black --(ALSO) make sure you install a fuse in fuse box cavity #11.

Mike,

Analog or digital meter? Which wires are you measuring between when you read 17 Volts? (Can you take a picture, or describe the wire colors?)

Thanks Dirtrider. The tan wire is a ground wire, I believe...not neutral.

I don't see a violet black wire. I have the tan, red-white hot wire, and a blue-black, and a blue-red - both of which appear to be switched. I get 12 volts (with key on or off) on the red-white, and approximately 17 volts off of the other two wires.

I'm looking at the blue harness just underneath the plastic by the storage/radio bin.

Mike,

Analog or digital meter? Which wires are you measuring between when you read 17 Volts? (Can you take a picture, or describe the wire colors?)

It's a digital meter. Nothing fancy or expensive - just a $30 Craftsman.

I have the tan, red-white hot wire, and a blue-black, and a blue-red - both of which appear to be switched. I get 12 volts (with key on or off) on the red-white, and approximately 17 volts off of the other two wires.

I'm looking at the blue harness just underneath the plastic by the storage/radio bin.

terryofperry

I know it's a long shot but if it is autosensing it may have changed the scale to mv (millivolts), make sure you are reading volts vs mv.

Shot in the dark but it happens a lot.

Terry

Afternoon Mike

I really don't know how you could be getting 17 volts DC so make darn sure your meter is reading on the correct scale (if auto scale then it might be reading Mv or something else.

In any case, FIRST PUT A FUSE IN fuse cavity #11 then find the connector in the radio vicinity that has the violet/black wire in it (look closely as there are TWO connectors going to the radio. Sounds like you only found one connector.

Oh boy. Don't you hate it when YOU are the one on the forum overlooking/forgetting the obvious?

I didn't know the voltmeter was even capable of reading Mv's, but that is exactly what was going on. It left me dumbfounded.

Now, let's see if I can delete this post before many more of you read it...

And thank you!

Afternoon Mike

I really don't know how you could be getting 17 volts DC so make darn sure your meter is reading on the correct scale (if auto scale then it might be reading Mv or something else.

In any case, FIRST PUT A FUSE IN fuse cavity #11 then find the connector in the radio vicinity that has the violet/black wire in it (look closely as there are TWO connectors going to the radio. Sounds like you only found one connector.

Dirtrider, it looks like I don't have both connectors. Have I read somewhere here on the forum that all the RTs have the accessory harness, but only those set up with the radio have the harness going to the speakers? I'm guessing that I don't have it.

After reading comments from a good many other folks who have wired in GPSs, I've decided it may make more sense to hook this up to a constant 12 volts - which I've found on the accessory harness.

Archived